Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Yeesh.  Because of their financial situation last summer, Barcelona asked Frankie De Jong to defer some of his salary.  Now they are trying to sell him to Man Utd without paying up.  What a fucking club they are.

They apparently deferred 17 million euros of his salary which is meant to start being paid from the upcoming season onwards. They think selling him will get them off the hook for it while Frenkie doesn't agree. They have offered to pay 3 million euros of it for him to go.

Nah. Someone posted it on Reddit with the most click bait title ever and it made the front page. Then because it’s 2022 that became the news story and Rafa had to respond.  Then someone else posted his response and that nearly made the front page too. 

This is a bit sad

Jack Wilshere retires from football aged 30

The former Arsenal and England midfielder Jack Wilshere has announced his retirement as a player at the age of 30 and will be confirmed next week as the Arsenal Under-18s head coach.

Wilshere, who made 13 Danish league appearances for Aarhus last season, the most recent in May, also played for Bolton, Bournemouth and West Ham.

He won 34 caps, was part of England’s squad at the 2014 World Cup and an impressive career would have been even more successful but for injuries. Wilshere came through Arsenal’s academy and made almost 200 appearances for the club.

He will work with Arsenal’s Under-18s alongside Adam Birchall and Julian Gray, two other former players who started their careers at the club.

Wilshere wrote in a lengthy message on Twitter: “Today I am announcing my retirement from playing professional football: It has been an unbelievable journey filled with so many incredible moments and I feel privileged to have experienced all that I did during my career. From being the little boy kicking a ball around in the garden to captaining my beloved Arsenal and playing for my country at a World Cup. I have lived my dream.

“In truth it has been difficult to accept that my career has been slipping away in recent times due to reasons outside of my control whilst feeling that I have still had so much to give. Having played at the very highest level I have always held such huge ambitions within the game and if I am truthful I did not envisage being in this position at times. However, having had time to reflect and talk with those closest with me I know that now is the right time and despite the difficult moments I look back on my career with great pride at what I have achieved.”

I can't understand what happened because i thought his serious injuries were behind him but it seemed no club wanted him.

Only scored 20 goals in his career, England included, according to wikipedia. Nearly every goal was a gem though. And i still think his one against Norwich is the greatest passing goal ever scored, the best premier league goal ever scored, and probably just the best goal ever full stop.

19 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I can't understand what happened because i thought his serious injuries were behind him but it seemed no club wanted him.

If his injuries were behind him then he’d still be at Arsenal. A fabulous talent but really he only played three or four seasons at his full potential, he was a spent force by the time he was 25.  It’s a damn shame really, you can do all the work and live like a saint (I’m not sure Wilshere did but that’s besides the point) but if your ankle is damaged then that could be it at elite level.  

On 09/07/2022 at 10:19, Naysonymous said:

If his injuries were behind him then he’d still be at Arsenal. A fabulous talent but really he only played three or four seasons at his full potential, he was a spent force by the time he was 25.  It’s a damn shame really, you can do all the work and live like a saint (I’m not sure Wilshere did but that’s besides the point) but if your ankle is damaged then that could be it at elite level.  

Some are saying that it's more he's unwilling to drop down levels to play, but then also him saying 'I've been fully fit and injury free for ages' was just to get offers. That's what he said about his few appearances at West Ham, he wasn't injured, he just wasn't picked. 

Leaving Arsenal for a fresh start was normal, I didn't expect him to stay through all their transitions. 

People think Wenger overplayed him in his breakthrough season in 2010/11, probably true? 3792 minutes overall. Surprisingly Foden in 2020/21 played 4011 minutes. It wasn't just that Wilshere liked to get stuck in a bit but the vast difference between that part of his game and Foden's and Iniesta's, who he otherwise shared the gliding ease of movement. I've never seen Foden or Iniesta clatter into any other player like Wilshere did often. 

Probably best everyone -including me- calms down plotting some future trajectory of ascendance of any young talent, and just enjoy what might be their peak. 

also surprising Rooney is going here?

Can't say I blame him, being as mega rich as he already is and after everything recently probably sick to fucking death of the British press and the intensity here. But for someone who was talking up wanting to manage Man Utd one day, it's a tad disappointing.

He'll get to test himself against Phil Neville at Inter Miami, whose B team features a certain Beckham Jr doing Beckham things.

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

Villa sign Ludwig Augustinsson, Swedish LB from Sevilla, initially on loan.

Always feel better with a couple of Scandinavian players in a Villa squad.

We've signed Finn Azaz on a season long loan. Everyone commenting on social media that he's a very talented player.

He’s supposed to be really good. The Villa fans I know seem surprised that he’s not gone to a Championship side, but I don’t think that matters. Especially if Argyle are going to be towards the top end of League 1 this coming season. 

1 hour ago, neoELITE said:

We've signed Finn Azaz on a season long loan. Everyone commenting on social media that he's a very talented player.

He's definitely talented. He was the best young midfielder in League 2 by all accounts last year, and playing in our first preseason game against Walsall at the weekend he was genuinely one of the standouts. A lot of people had him down for a Championship loan. 

He should be an asset for you.

We've also sent out a youth keeper today, Sinisalo, to Burton for the season. He's rated pretty highly as well.

Brentford securing a couple of very nice young talents in the last week. 

Keane Lewis Potter from Hull and Aaron Hickey from Bologna. Sticking with the mark em up sell em on principle if their development goes to plan. They both look cracking. 

33 minutes ago, Plissken said:

Too bloody cheap.  Though I suspect there are a lot of easily achievable add-ons and bonuses in that deal which it is suiting Wolves not to point out.

Yeah that sounds like the sort of thing we'd do TBH!

Does he have a release clause perhaps?  It does seem cheap for such a highly rated young player?

No, he doesn't have a release clause.  It is too cheap - if I was being disingenuous, I would say he's only got 19 games of PL experience, two of which he committed serious ricks in.  The opposite to that is that he's only 21, slotted in next to James Tarkowski with a minimum of effort and fuss and it looked like we had found another PL quality centre back to anchor the defence for the next half decade.

There are a lot of changes afoot at Turf Moor and ALK are not so much using a new broom as an entire flamethrower.  (For good and for bad, I hasten to say.)  Maybe Collins was the last Dyche driven purchase and simply doesn't fit the new model which has seen us bring in six raw, young, talented players for the amount Newcastle gave us for Nick Pope.  Using the Collins sale to generate four more of those types of buys and that's a badly needed squad overhaul done.

It's definitely going to be interesting at Turf Moor this coming season.