Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

31 minutes ago, Azrael said:

With Richarlison now joining Spurs i wouldn't be surprised if they sold Son now. 

Do they want Conte to resign? Because that's how they'll get Conte to resign.  

Spurs are building a squad to play 50 games next season.  They'd be idiots to sell one of the best players in the league if they want to be competitive, and Richarlason will know coming in that he's in the rotation with Son, Kane and Kulusevski.   I suspect Kane won't play as much football when he's obviously knackered from now on, but that front four is incredibly dynamic in that all of them can play to a very high level in multiple positions.    I can't see Spurs putting up 90 points next season and being in the title race because that's what it's going to take unless Liverpool and Manchester City both implode (and they won't) but they'll be looking to be the best of the rest and have Champions League qualification sewn up significantly earlier than they did in 2021/22. 

Liverpool have paid an undisclosed fee to sign a 30-year-old forward on a three year contract who has scored one goal (from a penalty) in his nine major finals to date. Another brave move by the Kloppmeister.

Lovely stuff from the U19s.  It's really felt like Villa have had a huge part in the success with big performances throughout from key players.  Carney has been exceptional,  I still think he's off to Dortmund or somewhere next summer when his contract expires and strikes me as one of those guys who might look amazing at age group levels but never kick on in the senior sides. He looked like a little boy lost against Burnley at the back end of last season when he couldn't use his physicality to dominate the midfield as easily.  I really hope he does sign a new deal and goes on to become the player we all hope he can become, but it just seems like he could end up as a superstar somewhere else or one of those guys who gets forgotten about in a few years.  Just look at the squad lists for previous tournaments on Wikipedia, a surprising amount of the players (even in teams that won) never got anywhere in the mens game. 

Carney could be great. He's athletically ahead of most of his peers and has ball skills and vision beyond most at that age as well. He hasn't blown people away when he's had first team minutes, but equally he's been up and down in those appearances - anonymous v Burnley but against Spurs has a very promising cameo where he looked up to the level, etc etc. 

I think he's destined to leave Villa. He wants to play first team football and he wants to earn serious money now. Dortmund is the most likely destination for him and probably the smart move for his career generally, he'll play more than he will here and will get CL football, still get decent money and Dortmund won't stand in his way when it's time to move on.

As a Villa fan I'd rather he stays and gets some minutes consistently, or gets a loan to the Championship to test him, and either make him a star here or confirm his fate is lower league. But don't see it happening. He's ambitious, and while I reckon we'd pay whatever he wants, long term his options probably lean towards 'go now' sadly.

I expect Spurs to honestly appear like they can challenge for the league all the way through to Christmas. Mourinho had Spurs top by 12th December after 12 games, so why not. Although the table at that point looked like this 

Screenshot_20220702-092103_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fcdbf4d57bee525bd2e3860b33b7dad4.jpg

Not sure it's ever seemed so open a third of the way through. More signings, a pre season..

We assume Liverpool and Man City will push eachother past the 90 point mark again but maybe not, maybe post world cup fatigue has an effect. (But then Haaland isn't going..nor Salah..)

34 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

Also Son was happily to sign a new contract last summer when - to be blunt, we were in a mess, so there no way he will want to leave now, when we probably have the best squad we have ever had in the Premier League.

+the best manager we've had. 

4 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

We assume Liverpool and Man City will push eachother past the 90 point mark again but maybe not, maybe post world cup fatigue has an effect. (But then Haaland isn't going..nor Salah..)

Not exactly a bold prediction, but City will walk the league this season. Expect Liverpool to be runners-up again but a good 8-10 points back. The close-run title races must be mentally exhausting, and Liverpool have lost them both.

Spurs have done good business so far, expect them to push into a fight for third with Chelsea, maybe second if Liverpool’s season is more transitional as Klopp develops his second side, or Europe becomes the main priority by next March.

Hoping the promoted sides ruffle a few feathers and there’s a bit of a changing of the guard at the bottom. All three have positives that could see them stay up, which had only happened three times since football was invented in 1992.

It probably won’t stop Man City winning the Prem, but the World Cup is going to potentially derail some team’s seasons or give them a boost.

Some clubs may end up with half their team injured or exhausted if they have a load of players from teams who get to the semi finals. Other team may get a boost if their international players come home early (or aren’t going).

Be also interesting to see what happens just before the break - are players not going to be focused on their league games  with the World Cup about to start. Are clubs going to be trying to stop players going if they are a little bit injured? Will pre World Cup form and post World Cup form be totally different?

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

Watford signed Vakoun Bayo - mad transfer, guy is an absolute cart horse.

I've never heard of him but our Twitter seems to be going mad (bar the occasional Celtic fan interjecting to say we are in for a shock). We do need a proper centre forward though and our last signing from Belgium (Dennis) worked out ok. Time will tell! 

2 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

I've never heard of him but our Twitter seems to be going mad (bar the occasional Celtic fan interjecting to say we are in for a shock). We do need a proper centre forward though and our last signing from Belgium (Dennis) worked out ok. Time will tell! 

As long as you don't need him to control a ball, pass a ball or shoot, he'll be ok.

The deals are starting then, with Jesus to Arsenal, Phillips to Man City and Tarkowski to Everton. 

The Tarkowski one is funny for two reasons: firstly, in his photo he has no boots on and just looks stupid standing in full kit but no footwear. And secondly, he says he joined Everton because he is ambitious and wants to win things. What? :lol:

24 years ago today, Ronald de Boer speelt de bal…

Don’t think I’ve lost my shit more for a goal where I was a neutral. Okay, maybe not that neutral given who Argentina beat in the previous round.

51 minutes ago, glb said:

24 years ago today, Ronald de Boer speelt de bal…

Don’t think I’ve lost my shit more for a goal where I was a neutral. Okay, maybe not that neutral given who Argentina beat in the previous round.

Still my favourite goal of all time. Better with the Barry Davies commentary though.

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Think that's a good signing for Arsenal,  wouldn't have minded if we had tried hijacking that one, never understood why he wasn't used as much at City after Aguero went. 

He wouldn’t get anywhere near your first 11, he’s perfectly suited for Arsenal though.