IGNORED

Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Reading too much into pre season klaxon sounding loud and clear, but Liverpool look razor sharp in the first 15 minutes of the Community Shield.  There’s in intensity to their press which is a joy to watch. 

Sky Sports cutting their “it’s only live… once” campaign with footage of Manchester City winning the league for the fourth time in five years.  I mean I get what they are going for but showing dominant champions winning again doesn’t really scream scarcity does it? 

Really enjoyed the game, I felt Liverpool were excellent save for a 20 minute spell after the substitutions started happening.    Haaland looked good for Manchester City, lots of really good runs that their players are going to have to start recognising, I'm sure there will be chortles at his miss but it's not Ronnie Rosenthal levels of bad misses or anything, the ball came at him really quickly.   

22 minutes ago, Plissken said:

He was always going to miss one sitter in the season. The bad news for everyone else is that he’s done it so early.

It was mainly funny due to the shit Nunez was getting for his miss against United and being written off in some quarters. 

Haaland, Nunez, Salah, Kane will all score a bucketload of goals this season. 

25 minutes ago, Plissken said:

He was always going to miss one sitter in the season. The bad news for everyone else is that he’s done it so early.

think the hope is that he's like ronaldo, adds goals at the expensive over the team's overall attacking proficiency. more importantly for city is if they don't sign anyone this window, they look a bit light in numbers and might have a similar struggle to 19/20.

fingers crossed, eh.

Nunez's performance was interesting. He did really well when he came on - all the strengths in his game were evident - his energy, his willingness to fight to win the ball back, his strength in the air, his pace, and his movement. However, the big flaw in his game was there too - his first touch. The first time he was involved he was played through, ran onto the ball, and knocked it miles ahead of himself with a dreadful touch, allowing Ederson to get to the ball first. 

Most of the time he was playing one-touch stuff, but I don't remember him successfully trapping the ball at any point when he was on.  This was the impression I got of him last season for Benfica as well, but he scored a lot of goals there, so perhaps it won't matter. His movement is so good that I expect he'll score quite a lot of goals for Liverpool. I would have been worried if United had spent that much money on him, as the fact that United don't dominate matches would have accentuated his flaws.  He'll fit in better at Liverpool, where his energetic style will fit with the relentlessness of Liverpool's pressing game.

Nunez is in for giving Liverpool an extra option in attack rather than the main focus. I can see him coming off the bench a lot with the five substitutions coming in. 

On 20/07/2022 at 18:26, Calashnikov said:

Can’t think of any at all. I can think of him bossing European quarter and semi finals however 🤔 

This was him against fucking Dortmund:

He would do this steamrollering of cunts pretty much every game. He is an incredible left sided centre back and an even better left back. He’s fucking class. If anything Ajax got a bargain.

2 hours ago, SMD said:

all these flavours and you choose salt

Fair point! I'm mostly frustrated I can't find highlights anywhere.

ITV hub only seems to have the the full match.

43 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Doing this via mobile, so it may not embed properly, but the ITV Sport YouTube channel has highlights from the game yesterday (put the link in a spoiler tag, as the thumbnail shows who won the game, incase anyone hasn't see the result yet and will be watching the game later):

Spoiler

35 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Despite it being on ITV, BBC have a 3m highlights reel up. Here.

18 hours ago, Naysonymous said:

Double booked tonight, got tickets to the Commonwealth Games so I’ll miss the Euro finals. I’ve not seen a team I support win a trophy in over 25 years so if ever there was an omen…

Getting you season tickets for City and Real