Football thread 2022/23

Naysonymous

Peter Whittingham would have been no stranger to Cov ring road given his upbringing in the West Midlands.  Sadly there was a  surprising amount of whinging from (presumably bored and younger) Villa fans missing the point of this match. The timing was odd, but it kinda had to be Cardiff vs Villa with Cardiff winning, right?  

I am a Blackburn Rovers fan and we had 3 years of him. At his best he could bully and wreck whole Premiership midfields by himself. On the other hand one of those years, the big one where we won the league he barely played, 4 games I think. So no club legend status here and he caused chaos with teammates on and off the field , the Champions League Russian punch up with Le Saux the lowlight. I would guess 99% of the instigating and cause there was Batty. God knows what he must have been like to deal with behind the scenes, because he was a massive cunt on the pitch.

On 01/12/2022 at 09:18, Ork1927 said:

We had a tribute game with Villa last night for Peter Whittingham who died at the start of the pandemic as games moved behind closed doors.

The club had a bit of stick for scheduling it during the World Cup on a Wednesday night and it being a first team warm up game instead of an 'old boys' games.

But it was a nice evening, helped by us winning 3-1 in an actually enjoyable friendly with two of our new young signings who've made no impact so far this season sharing the 3 goals.

Here are some Whittingham goals to enjoy

Whittingham was part of my Cardiff side on FM09, combining with George Boyd and Gabriel Overran to get them to 2nd in the Premier League (my highest ever finishing position on any FM).

19 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Pelé reportedly moved to palliative care after chemo stopped working.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/03/pele-moved-to-end-of-life-care-in-hospital-reports-say

We'll start to see many of the greats if yesteryear pass in the next few years. I am dreading getting the news about King Kenny one day 

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

We'll start to see many of the greats if yesteryear pass in the next few years. I am dreading getting the news about King Kenny one day 

People get old, they die. Celebrate the good they did but don’t dread them dying, it’s pointless.

Michael O'Neill's back as Northern Ireland manager. It'll be interesting to see how it goes - it didn't really work out for him at Stoke, and the team he's going back to aren't as good as the one he left. But as I don't really watch NI, I've no idea what their next few years hold. It'd be some turnaround in fortunes to qualify for Euro 2024, although with Finland, Slovenia and Kazakhstan as their main challengers (Denmark should walk the group) that's not an impossibility if he can galvanise them. I doubt it, though.

just seen this nice clip of a young Iniesta outplaying that Zidane Madrid side.

Iniesta is trending because Gavi is compared with him. I saw a list of most dribbles completed in World cup history the other day, so Messi was top, Maradona second i think, but Hazard was up there. Iniesta was nowhere, made me think what constitutes a dribble because i thought all Iniesta did was dribble into space whether opposition players were there or not.

11 minutes ago, Adrock said:

That clip looks impressive but the bald dude was Gravesen, there is a reason he was only there for a year.

My favourite amusing-but-sadly-probably-untrue rumour around that signing was that Real Madrid saw the bald dude playing well in midfield for Everton and thought it was obviously Gravesen (the Danish international) but they actually should have signed Lee Carsley.

Or possibly they watched Everton and thought, "Wow, that bald guy seems to be everywhere!  It's as if there's two of him on the pitch!" 

That video is more entertaining if instead of watching Iniesta you watch what Graveson is doing.  He looks drunk.

Reminds me of the Cole & Yorke goal against Barcelona, which has to be one of the iconic Champions League goals: 

The centre half who is all at sea is a teenage Samuel Okunowo who played about a dozen games for Barcelona before being shipped out on loan at various clubs around Europe until his contract expired and ultimately ended up signing for the mighty Waltham Forest.  

I don’t think it makes the goal anything less of a ‘moment’ as it’s the Cole & Yorke partnership in a nutshell but the stories which give winners legendary status will often have a loser in there too.  Not that I’m saying Thomas Gravesen was as out of his depth as Samuel Okunowo but, you know, he wasn’t a Real Madrid calibre player.  

Footballers in the wild, inspired by the comments in the World Cup thread.

I tried to buy Gary Cahill a pint. I was in a packed pub with a load of friends, had had a few, when this slow hush came along the crowd and a very tall bloke squeezed through the crowd towards the bar, followed by a short blonde woman. I thought I recognised the guy but wasn't sure, then one of the people I was with went in judged tones 'THATS GARY CAHILL...!'. This was shortly after he'd scored that incredible goal for Villa against Blues, so for any Villa fan the man basically walked on water. Being a bit lit I decided I'd squeeze through the crowd to the bar, tapped him on the shoulder and said 'Gary you're a legend can I buy you a pint?!'. He glanced over his shoulder at me and sharply replied 'No'.

A couple of years later I was in a terrible nightclub in Walsall when the same thing happened, the weird feeling of a group of people stunned. This time it was Curtis Davies and Darren Carter. Both were with the Baggies at the time but there were rumours circulating that Davies was headed to Villa. Me and a mate sauntered up to them and my mate said to Davies 'when you coming to Villa then?' to which he smiled, shrugged and said 'you never know'. I think he joined in the following window.

Last one that comes to mind, walking around Asda late one night in about 2005, saw Jlloyd Samuel in full training gear slumped over his trolley and looking like he wanted to be anywhere but there. I caught his eye and felt like he was thinking 'oh no...' so just nodded and went about my business.