Putting games down for a bit and then coming back to them

Jamie John

Depends on the genre. I find storydriven games to be impossible to finish if its been x amount of time since I played it. I never finished GTA5, Witcher 3, Mad Max, God of War, Dying Light 2 and several others. But I did start playing Europe Universalis again recently, after not having played in at least 6 months. 

I took absolutely enormous breaks from Witcher 3, MGS 5 and Dark Souls, all of which I loved after going back to them. 

With Dark Souls I had gotten stuck on the Capra Demon, which I still maintain is just badly designed compared to the more finely tuned skill check bosses From would perfect in later games. Rest of the game’s genius though, so it does help to push through sometimes.  

51 minutes ago, Flanders said:

With Dark Souls I had gotten stuck on the Capra Demon, which I still maintain is just badly designed compared to the more finely tuned skill check bosses From would perfect in later games. Rest of the game’s genius though, so it does help to push through sometimes.  

'Badly designed'? What rubbish!

dark-souls-capra-demon.gif.f5ab0bc61093dd3dea40bbfd2425de38.gif

For me it's exactly like me trying to get into Better Call Saul. I've seen the first season maybe twice and a bunch of episodes 3-4 times. I've seen the second season I think too but every time I try to get back into it I just end up back at the start again.

Elden Ring somehow managed to hold my attention right up till the end like no other game I can remember.

I'm not sure I'll ever finish Death Stranding.

I did put Deathloop down for a few months and finished it a week or so ago so it can be done.

It felt super weird going back to it though and I had to consult a guide just to stop myself from going round in circles which is why I put it down to begin with.

People might say a game ends when it stops being fun but so many games have really un-fun bits in them. Even Elden Ring. I'm not sure I would have finished The Last Of Us Part 2 if I followed that philosophy either.

Rocket League and Apex have never stopped being fun but I deleted them to stop playing them. You get locked in this hum drum fun but monotonous pointless loop of playing the same thing over and over at the expense of all other games.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

'Badly designed'? What rubbish!

dark-souls-capra-demon.gif.f5ab0bc61093dd3dea40bbfd2425de38.gif

Imagine if the cunt was in Elden Ring, people would have gone apeshit at the unfairness. Forget about summoning your jellyfish, the dogs have already got you stunlocked oh and now you’re dead. 

Let’s not forget that the boss run to

Capra is really long and filled with fast moving dogs and ninjas that you really can’t easily run past. It’s only the second real boss in the game, it’s bafflingly sadistic.