Jump to content

Joker 2: Folie a Deux


Stevie
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, K said:

 

I didn't like it much, but it has its fans. It's styled as a classic musical in terms of setup and structure, but with characters from a 70s Scorsese film, so you get this contrast between the idealistic, reality-breaking musical format and the grimly realistic themes and character stuff. It was made at the height of Scorsese's coke megalomania, so it's absurdly lavish and very indulgent. Probably worth watching, but the mix of ideas didn't really gel for me.

 

Yeah, this. It's incredibly interesting but it doesn't really gel and work overall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, BitterToad said:

A musical though? That blows the whole thing wide open. I want to walk into Joker 2 not knowing what it's going to be. That's much more interesting than the same thing again. Mainly because the first one made a billion dollars and was fine and the audience reaction to big change is probably going to be far more interesting than a sequel to Joker could ever be. 

 

Well obviously I lack the imagination to know what a musical means. To me it means singing and dance routines, that's it. I didn't realise it suddenly blows open thousands of possibilities, it's a wonder more films don't become musicals really. 

 

It's not Michel Gondry, it's Todd Phillips, he's not a strong enough filmmaker with an eccentricity and idiosyncratic way of looking at things that could make a Joker film that is a musical interesting. 

 

I'm sure the audience reaction to it would be interesting but let's face it, those indifferent to Joker are just more keen to see that.

 

If it was a standalone Joker musical directed by Gondry or Spike Jonze or Terry Gilliam or Alejandro Iñárritu or Harmony Korine then I'd just be purely interested in seeing what they do with it. When it's Todd Phillips, who just gets more talented people on board and allows them room do their best work and it comes after Joker where people think Joaquin Phoenix going full Joker would be boring somehow, then....no. 

 

I've not seen New York, New York. Handily the trailer shows the whole film so I don't need to

 

 

 

how romantic 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I thought the main issue with the first film was that it was basically just an incel wank fantasy?

 

Personally I just thought it was a boring load of cat shit.

 

It was a backstory that didn't need to told.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A load of sensible guardian columnist types lost their shit that it advocated murdering rich people, and wrote a bunch of opinion pieces having never seen it about it being pro-incel. It's just a film, but one whose mere existence seems to rile people, not because of what it does badly, but because of political thought pieces at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, englishbob said:

 

It was a backstory that didn't need to told.

If you take it on board as a "THIS IS OFFICIAL THIS IS THE OFFICIAL JOKER FILM THIS IS WHO HE IS" then yeah I suppose so. But as a vaguely interesting alt take on the character I thought it kind of worked. Again, not the hugest Joker fan in the world but I do like DC's attitude of just making films without worrying about anything being a definitive part of a multi cog storytelling factory. It's all just its own thing and you can pick and choose what you want. 

 

I can't think of anything worse than the idea that Phoenix would ever appear alongside, say, Battison for example. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, therearerules said:

A load of sensible guardian columnist types lost their shit that it advocated murdering rich people, and wrote a bunch of opinion pieces having never seen it about it being pro-incel. It's just a film, but one whose mere existence seems to rile people, not because of what it does badly, but because of political thought pieces at the time.

 

As I recall, it had received largely glowing reviews from the European press, but once it hit the states, there were all manner of wild assertions that it was going to prompt legions of disaffected men to go on killing sprees. It was all a bit odd really.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I recall my dad telling me he was unable to get this to work on the tv, so he watched on the phone. Said it was boring, and brought up that there is no actual batman and hardly any action. He wasn't joking either, he was 100% being serious. He was really let down by it. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Alex W. said:


Or was he? :sherlock:

 

No I know him. Every week he asks if there are any new films out and if I mention any he's like 'Does it have a lot of action?'. If he's talking about a film he likes he's like 'really good action'. When it comes to films to watch, he's only interested in movies with 'classic' AAA actors with action. I only persuaded him to watch JOKER because I said it had Robert De Niro in it. That's how I sold it to him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Capwn said:

 

No I know him. Every week he asks if there are any new films out and if I mention any he's like 'Does it have a lot of action?'. If he's talking about a film he likes he's like 'really good action'. When it comes to films to watch, he's only interested in movies with 'classic' AAA actors with action. I only persuaded him to watch JOKER because I said it had Robert De Niro in it. That's how I sold it to him.

 

This doesn't sound like Joker's fault, to be honest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I recall my dad telling me he was unable to get this to work on the tv, so he watched on the phone. Said it was boring, and brought up that there is no actual batman and hardly any action. He wasn't joking either, he was 100% being serious. He was really let down by it. 

 

 

 


Your dad sounds like a sensible chap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/06/2022 at 13:42, Loik V credern said:

 

Well obviously I lack the imagination to know what a musical means. To me it means singing and dance routines, that's it. I didn't realise it suddenly blows open thousands of possibilities, it's a wonder more films don't become musicals really. 

 

It's not Michel Gondry, it's Todd Phillips, he's not a strong enough filmmaker with an eccentricity and idiosyncratic way of looking at things that could make a Joker film that is a musical interesting. 

 

I'm sure the audience reaction to it would be interesting but let's face it, those indifferent to Joker are just more keen to see that.

 

If it was a standalone Joker musical directed by Gondry or Spike Jonze or Terry Gilliam or Alejandro Iñárritu or Harmony Korine then I'd just be purely interested in seeing what they do with it. When it's Todd Phillips, who just gets more talented people on board and allows them room do their best work and it comes after Joker where people think Joaquin Phoenix going full Joker would be boring somehow, then....no. 

 

I've not seen New York, New York. Handily the trailer shows the whole film so I don't need to

 

 

 

how romantic 

New York New York is a strange one, it’s totally forgotten about in Scorsese’s catalogue (other one to watch is After Hours…). It’s got a bit of a torrid making of, it was supposed to be a Robert De Niro vehicle, coming on the back of Taxi Driver, but the studio decided to make it a Liza Minnelli vehicle. I’m surprised Scorsese hasn’t gone back to do a directors cut, there’s a load of cut scenes that could be used.

 

Anyway, Robert De Niro learned to play the saxophone for it (being taught by jazz great Georgie Auld who played on the soundtrack album) and looked cool as fuck with his New York Hawaiian shirt…


image.jpeg.3a7568e81bea2e595ea2ca676ecd7503.jpeg

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2022 at 18:21, Stigweard said:

I really hope this is a musical. Also would have loved for them to have no let that leaked. The incels would have shat themselves so hard.


I hope its not a musical but then has lots of scenes that have that sort of set up that prefaces the bursting in of song. Like sort of making you think its coming but then it doesn't. What suit the character and his pranks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.