IGNORED

A stone cold RLLMUK classic film Part 1

Ok. Clearly no one is going to agree on anything. So we shall have to do a poll, or a table, or naked wrestling, whatever. We need to have a list at the very least to start this off. 

Can I please have your top 3 "That's a stone cold classic film right there buddy". 

The criteria.

You can show this to your mum and she'll say, "Gosh! that was good"

Genre defining is fine. But you're not going to get much love for heads being ripped off with mum. 

We are not trying to find the best film you like, we are trying to find those classic films that speak to your soul and bring you closer together with fellow humans beings.  This means mass appeal with no compromise. No saccharine schmaltz, not playing with your heart strings, no lowest common denominator.  If it came on TV on a Sunday at whatever time, you'd watch it. The family would join you. And then you would talk about it with Keith and Terry at work the next day. The conversation would start with the phase, "Hey, did you see that stone cold classic film on TV yesterday?" and they know. They'd just know what you meant

Films that are more than the sum of their parts. Great actors, great directors..

Timeless classis. 

my top 3 are.

Toy story 2

Goodfellas

Star Wars - the Empire strikes back

I think you can show all three of those to anyone and they would get caught up in the story and love every minute of it. 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

I don't think your "Mum would like it" is a great criteria for this, my mum has terrible taste in movies.

This is the quest, can we find a movie that not even you mother would hate. 

1 hour ago, Bazjam said:

Time Bandits

Seven Samurai 

Spirited Away

I'm going to suggest Rashomon ahead of Seven Samurai. It's shorter, and IMO a lot more accessible. With Seven Samurai, it's easy to imagine someone saying "it's good, but I found The Magnificent Seven and A Bug's Life more fun to watch." Whereas even Homer Simpson liked Rashomon! (Although that's not the way he remembers it. :eyebrows:)

However, is the task here to come up with something that almost every English-speaking film viewer likes? (Which as I said in the other thread is an impossible task.) If so, we have to consider the subtitle barrier: lots of people won't watch films if they're subtitled; others will watch them, but find them tiring to read.

Black and white is another barrier to modern eyes. Which brings me to...

Second: A Matter of Life and Death/Stairway to Heaven.

Oh, sorry! Maybe it's disqualified because here's one notorious curmudgeon who didn't like it:

Third: I don't know, probably some beloved childhood classic that's endured for decades. (By which I mean: since long before the 1980s; I do not count The Goonies as a beloved childhood classic.) Something like Pinocchio or The Wizard of Oz?

I specifically didn't just put three Akira Kurosawa films because there's no chance the office water cooler conversation is going to gravitate to "that classic Japanese subtitled movie that was on late last night". Either that or you're working in the most hipster office.

These all pass the mum test and the Sunday afternoon channel surfing test. My work colleagues are a bunch of damn nerds so probably just the three good Star Wars films would do it for them.

I Know Where I'm Going

Some Like It Hot

Galaxy Quest (I think she was mostly humouring me for this one) 

My mum's actual favourite movies were:

Dirty Dancing

Amelie

Mamma Mia

It's entirely up to you. If you have three classic films that you think add to the sum of humanity then name them. 

Subtitles and monachromen should be no barrier in my mind. The third man defines the noir genre, but it's not everyone's cup of tea. 

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I specifically didn't just put three Akira Kurosawa films because there's no chance the office water cooler conversation is going to gravitate to "that classic Japanese subtitled movie that was on late last night". Either that or you're working in the most hipster office.

Back in my early twenties I forced a bunch of my mates into watching Seven Samurai on a wet Sunday afternoon once. This was a bunch of people who’s film knowledge didn’t really go beyond anything without fast cars and guns in it, certainly nothing black and white or god forbid subtitled. Yet, they loved it. Just a classic story told really well.

3 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Love how the first criteria is your mum would love it, then the first few recommendations are Goodfellas, The Godfather, Aliens and Pulp Fiction :lol:

My mum loves those films.