Jump to content
IGNORED

Can we expect a new Nintendo console any time soon?


Rayn
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m playing Neon White on the Switch, and the only thing that lets it down is the resolution. When you’re on playing on a decent telly you know it could look so much better than it does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/06/2022 at 17:52, Popo said:

And Apple have experienced shortages due to the chip outage - at least in their iPad product range. It’s possible they’ve prioritised phone production, though that’s just speculation on my part. 

 

They produced over 200 Million units of cutting edge production chips last year for the iPhone range alone and expect to do the same this year, any chip shortages are a relatively minor problem. It's not as if the production of electronics has cratered or something. The PC industry saw record sales during the last 2 years. The supply problem is a relative problem, not an absolute one.


So far this year in Europe (excluding UK and Germany), the Nintendo Switch is selling 20% more units than last year, Microsoft are flat and Sony is the only one suffering noticeably from supply problems with sales down 50%.


The Switch has already passed its lifetime peak sales year (FY2021), so it's merely a matter of how long they can run it down for before they will have to release new hardware products to revive overall sales. Neither the cheaper Switch Lite or more expensive Switch OLED have taken over the original design in terms of sales volume annually.

 

We know from the Bloomberg report last year that they've sent out the 4K dev kits and the Nvidia hack revealed the existence of NVN2 so there is a new chip in existence, it's just of matter of when they choose to release it or if they cut their losses on it and go for an even more powerful true Next Gen mobile design, like something that can match Qualcomm or Apple flagships.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, mushashi said:

The Switch has already passed its lifetime peak sales year (FY2021)

 

You should let Nintendo know you already have their FY2022/23 sales data, they'd love to have that kind of future knowledge already.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, mushashi said:

 

They produced over 200 Million units of cutting edge production chips last year for the iPhone range alone and expect to do the same this year, any chip shortages are a relatively minor problem. It's not as if the production of electronics has cratered or something. The PC industry saw record sales during the last 2 years. The supply problem is a relative problem, not an absolute one.


So far this year in Europe (excluding UK and Germany), the Nintendo Switch is selling 20% more units than last year, Microsoft are flat and Sony is the only one suffering noticeably from supply problems with sales down 50%.


The Switch has already passed its lifetime peak sales year (FY2021), so it's merely a matter of how long they can run it down for before they will have to release new hardware products to revive overall sales. Neither the cheaper Switch Lite or more expensive Switch OLED have taken over the original design in terms of sales volume annually.

 

We know from the Bloomberg report last year that they've sent out the 4K dev kits and the Nvidia hack revealed the existence of NVN2 so there is a new chip in existence, it's just of matter of when they choose to release it or if they cut their losses on it and go for an even more powerful true Next Gen mobile design, like something that can match Qualcomm or Apple flagships.

So you’re saying they have a new chip, and have had it for some time. Wouldn’t that suggest it was originally planned to be used in the new Switch OLED released last year, 2021. 
 

I can only assume that didn’t happen because of difficulties with production, not because the standard Switch was doing too well to bother. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2022 at 14:38, Paulando said:

Yeah we all need another £400 box to play Assassin’s Creed Valhalla on.

 

Eternal Darkness was a fantastic game, only on GameCube! Metroid Prime was fantastic! In my post I wanted Nintendo to come back and bring us the same magic they once did, not another handheld for fans who are willing to buy anything as long as it has Nintendo printed on it. Nintendo fans are worse than Apple fans.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/06/2022 at 12:10, SMD said:

 

Did you miss how the Xbox One curb stomped the Wii U?

And the PS2 shagged the GameCube's mum. Nintendo haven't had anything like a competitive console, in terms of power / capabilities, since.

 

But, and I say this as someone with zero interest in Nintendo IPs, I don't think they should. They are great at producing kinda niche home hardware that has a very definite USP and handhelds. If they tried to release just another PC in a box, theyd get double bummed in the gob by Sony and Xbox. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

And the PS2 shagged the GameCube's mum. Nintendo haven't had anything like a competitive console, in terms of power / capabilities, since.

 

But, and I say this as someone with zero interest in Nintendo IPs, I don't think they should. They are great at producing kinda niche home hardware that has a very definite USP and handhelds. If they tried to release just another PC in a box, theyd get double bummed in the gob by Sony and Xbox. 

 

I'm not disagreeing, everyone forgets the Xbox One was miles more powerful than the Wii U, had most of the games the PS4 did and was still almost completely irrelevant until Microsoft changed their entire business model. When something isn't compelling, doesn't really matter what the deal is power wise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

And the PS2 shagged the GameCube's mum. Nintendo haven't had anything like a competitive console, in terms of power / capabilities, since.

 

But, and I say this as someone with zero interest in Nintendo IPs, I don't think they should. They are great at producing kinda niche home hardware that has a very definite USP and handhelds. If they tried to release just another PC in a box, theyd get double bummed in the gob by Sony and Xbox. 

They can go too far though, as evidenced by the Wii U, no one understood the system despite it having a pretty compelling library of games. 
 

But they’ve never been niche, apart from Wii U and GameCube they’ve always been front and centre stage. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Stanley said:

They can go too far though, as evidenced by the Wii U, no one understood the system despite it having a pretty compelling library of games. 
 

But they’ve never been niche, apart from Wii U and GameCube they’ve always been front and centre stage. 

Eeeeh... Maybe niche isn't quite the right word, bit you'd say N64 onwards went against the trend. 

 

N64 - cartridge and weird analogue controller

GC - going for a "toy" aesthetic, weird controller, odd format

Wii - waggle 

WiiU - what the fuck is that?

Switch - home console / portable hybrid

 

I may be wrong, I've played on pretty much none of these, but they have definitely gone their own way. And they've never really engaged in the power arms race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Eeeeh... Maybe niche isn't quite the right word, bit you'd say N64 onwards went against the trend. 

 

N64 - cartridge and weird analogue controller

GC - going for a "toy" aesthetic, weird controller, odd format

Wii - waggle 

WiiU - what the fuck is that?

Switch - home console / portable hybrid

 

I may be wrong, I've played on pretty much none of these, but they have definitely gone their own way. And they've never really engaged in the power arms race.

Yeah I know what you mean they’re idiosyncratic, they do their own thing. 
 

But as you’ve demonstrated there - Wii was known for introducing waggle, or motion controls, and its success meant those features became the mainstream.

 

That’s why I said they’re not niche.

 

I think more than that, and perhaps a fairly obvious point, is that their games are some of the biggest out there - Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing. Anything but niche and often generation defining. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nintendo stated during the release of the Switch that they were shifting to an IOS approach to their hardware, in that they wanted all future versions of hardware to be able to run the same OS and games in order to make the most out of their development resources.

 

I’d expect the next major hardware release to be an enhanced version of the Switch, maybe with some additional hardware features. Nintendo also have a recent habit of releasing Zelda on two hardware platforms (Twilight Princess, Breath of the Wild). I wouldn’t be surprised if the next hardware release is around BOTW 2. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/06/2022 at 10:43, rgraves said:

 

You should let Nintendo know you already have their FY2022/23 sales data, they'd love to have that kind of future knowledge already.

 

Sales were already down from that peak in FY2022, and given that they've had to scale back production for FY2023, sales will also be nowhere near the Pandemic-enhanced sales of FY2021 (you clearly haven't figured out the difference between a company's Financial Year, which they choose and the standard Calendar Year, which normal people are forced to use).

 

 

On 20/06/2022 at 13:15, Stanley said:

So you’re saying they have a new chip, and have had it for some time. Wouldn’t that suggest it was originally planned to be used in the new Switch OLED released last year, 2021. 
 

I can only assume that didn’t happen because of difficulties with production, not because the standard Switch was doing too well to bother. 

 

I'm saying that due to the continued strong sales of the base model, they don't have to launch the 4K one anytime soon, even if they've already finished designing it. If Switch sales had slowed dramatically by now, they'd go ahead and commercialise the 4K model ASAP.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mushashi said:

 

Sales were already down from that peak in FY2022, and given that they've had to scale back production for FY2023, sales will also be nowhere near the Pandemic-enhanced sales of FY2021 (you clearly haven't figured out the difference between a company's Financial Year, which they choose and the standard Calendar Year, which normal people are forced to use).

 

And you, you condescending prick, clearly haven't figured out that Switch is still on sale, anything could happen, and there is absolutely no way to know what it may or may not sell in the future off the back of a new hardware variant or a break-out Pokemon, Zelda, Mario, or Splatoon title. In either a financial, lunar, lunisolar, solar, or seasonal calendar year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

LOL to the reaction above. 

 

No, nintendo will not release new hardware soon. In order for their new console to come out, the chip inside needs to be about 12,000 years old so we have a little whiles to go out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, mushashi said:

 

I'm saying that due to the continued strong sales of the base model, they don't have to launch the 4K one anytime soon, even if they've already finished designing it. If Switch sales had slowed dramatically by now, they'd go ahead and commercialise the 4K model ASAP.

 

Commercialise? :lol:
 

And OLED model Switch? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

And OLED model Switch? 

 

That one's easy right? We print money for them.

 

An upgrade that does nothing to fragment the market and can only result in some people buying another Switch. Most of the userbase will never know anything about it and just potter along. New buyers get the new one and old buyers are already happy. People like those on this forum buy another..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, thesnwmn said:

 

That one's easy right? We print money for them.

 

An upgrade that does nothing to fragment the market and can only result in some people buying another Switch. Most of the userbase will never know anything about it and just potter along. New buyers get the new one and old buyers are already happy. People like those on this forum buy another..

Or, it was intended to have a better chip but market forces saw that it wasn’t  possible due to chip production/shortages. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Or, it was intended to have a better chip but market forces saw that it wasn’t  possible due to chip production/shortages. 

 

Oh I see. Maybe. Like the carved off the bit they could do. Seem very different strategically but of course it could have evolved based on our crazy world.

 

I'm suspicious personally that Nintendo would want to at this point. Or that if they could have they should have. As much as I'd love the more power I suspect it's a headache in reality. Lots of people left a bit confused even if everything did "just run" on the older model for the next 5 years I wonder how much worse performance of stuff might get on the older model (when it's already pretty ropey).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, thesnwmn said:

 

Oh I see. Maybe. Like the carved off the bit they could do. Seem very different strategically but of course it could have evolved based on our crazy world.

 

I'm suspicious personally that Nintendo would want to at this point. Or that if they could have they should have. As much as I'd love the more power I suspect it's a headache in reality. Lots of people left a bit confused even if everything did "just run" on the older model for the next 5 years I wonder how much worse performance of stuff might get on the older model (when it's already pretty ropey).

I guess it’d just be like the PS4 Pro - the slim/base model continued to sell the most whilst the Pro sold to enthusiasts. It would certainly have bridged the gap until Switch 2 arrives. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.