IGNORED

Can we expect a new Nintendo console any time soon?

Rayn

I would not be shocked if there was a slightly more powerful switch made available alongside BOTW2.  The thing struggled to run the first game particularly well, so if you assume this one may be intended to be bigger and better looking, it could probably do with some assistance.

Running BOTW2 at 1080p 60fps would be a great selling point for an upgraded machine.  Forget 4k for now and aim for consistent and higher frame rate.  Doing so might make it achievable even in the current climate.

3 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Actually there's a question (that I can't Google or YouTube at the moment): how does it run on a switch emulator on PC?

Even a cheaper midrange gaming pc can run it at 30FPS locked (the in-game cap) in yuzu no sweat. There's even a 60FPS mod out apparently but I imagine you need a beefier rig to run it at 4k/60.

39 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

I would not be shocked if there was a slightly more powerful switch made available alongside BOTW2.  The thing struggled to run the first game particularly well, so if you assume this one may be intended to be bigger and better looking, it could probably do with some assistance.

Running BOTW2 at 1080p 60fps would be a great selling point for an upgraded machine.  Forget 4k for now and aim for consistent and higher frame rate.  Doing so might make it achievable even in the current climate.

They have no problem shifting Switch hardware or games, particularly the sequel  to one of its biggest games. It’d be nice but there are too many reasons why it’s not viable. 

44 minutes ago, Sixkiller said:

Whilst I think this is would be great in normal times I wonder if it could oddly do more harm than good over the coming years.

Imagine CPU supply problems are still going on. You own a Switch. BOTW2 gets released alongside a Switch 2 with better internals but it's basically impossible to buy one. Either you buy it for your original Switch and make do with probably very ropey performance... and the wind is taken out of the Switch 2 launch because well, we've played it's primary selling point already. Or you wait. In which case how long? Even when you eventually get one is there a buzz that's missing? Does this dent Nintendo's bottom line long term and the success of the Switch 2.

Whilst Nintendo achieve and I suspect care about long term ongoing sales of software much more than the other platform holders I think there's a risk a Switch 2 actually fractures and upsets the user base a little.

Taking Koei Tecmo as some litmus test of wether we need a more powerfull machine is a bit flaky at best. Fire Emblem Three Houses looks atrocious compared to other S-RPG's on the same system.

Which doesn't mean that a more powerful machine wouldn't be welcomed. But optimisation goes a long way sometimes.

Whatever it is, we're so invested in the Switch (we have two, for starters) that it would be a shame if the new machine doesn't run all the old games. I really don't need a traditional machine though, the portable/docked nature of the Switch means everything is more focused. I get 3rd party titles might creak under the strain a bit, but we're still supporting XB1/PS4 for the most part, presumably. And there's a deep pot of indie titles which don't necessarily need maximum oomph. 

So, yeah, if we're farting out wishlists:

- Don't care when the new hardware comes

- Needs to be BC

- Needs to be the same portable/docking format

- Fix the god damn $79 joycon design. My refurbs break. My set bought WAY after this was acknowledged as an issue break. Seriously, we all poke fun at pads but the Joycon engineering is beyond parody

7 hours ago, rgraves said:

See, I fundamentally disagree with that. There was a lot wrong with the Wii-U, but the idea was actually, fundamentally, a good one IMO. Being able to game away from the main TV, having a seperate screen for stuff like chase and sweet day in Nintendoland, being able to tap the map to jump in Splatoon - all things that worked really well. Made those games better, or only achieveable on that platform (Nintendoland remains a massively underappreciated/experienced multiplayer title as a result)

Hell, even just being able to move the map and equip management to the pad in stuff like ZombiU showed the potential was there. Not *essential* to the experience no, but it did make it better (play ZombiU on WiiU and then on any of the other platform ports and you'll see it pretty clearly).

It was a calamity, but it didn't need to be - with a few different decisions being made I think it could have been a whole lot better for them (and, more importantly, us). If WiiU has taken off just a little bit more, I think we'd have seen some really exciting and unusual stuff from Nintendo.

There are dumps all over the world filled with potentially good ideas executed poorly.

I'm not talking about the concept and that conversation has been done to death. I'm saying that the actual product Nintendo put on shelves was fundamentally shite. The setup was complicated, it used proprietary connections for no good reason, the software was dated (mine was the Wind Waker console and that still had the silly shit where you created an account before it looked for an update), the screen on the controller was low res compared to other devices ,the e-shop was slow as a wet week, the range for off screen play was very limited, the online system was bobbins compared to Live/PSN/Steam/Sodding Gamecenter and it wasn't powerful enough to offer a notably better experience over a 360/PS3 for games like Arkham Origins beyond "go play it in low resolution in the corner of the room while the partner who wears the pants in your relationship uses the TV". Whoop-de-doo. 

Its the same as the 360 Kinect. The idea might have some merits but the product that got to retail wasn't up to the job. So it was shite despite having some good software. 

4 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

the Switch version of BOTW is a Wii U port done by Tose

6 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

That's completely the wrong way round! The Wii U didn't take off because there was never enough of a USP for the pad. The nearest they got was Mario Maker but most other experiences were either too thin or unnecessary.

I have a WiiU fully set-up underneath my telly and I so wish I could pack up that pad for good. They should've decoupled the pad for the product - 100%. I like some of the gimmicks but 90% of the time I'll be playing with the Pro controller.

The Switch recognised the only good bit of the pad - playing console experiences away from the living room TV.

Meh, I loved the WiiU pad. Still do and mine is still set up (albeit not sure the last time it was on…kids playing Skylanders probably) and thought the concept was great and for what’s it’s worth the pad was a damn site more comfortable for handheld play than the Switch (sans a Binbok or Hori split pad).

Actually my use case is rather similar, I played the WiiU primarily on my sofa in handheld whilst my wife watched junk on the telly and I generally play my Switch, on the sofa in handheld whilst my wife watches junk on the tv.

That said I do appreciate the fact it’s properly portable (the fact I could barely leave my living room without losing connection on the WiiU was a drag).

9 hours ago, Sixkiller said:

Yep. Hence the current delay of the game. It will probably come out alongside the new upgraded Switch.

9 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Whilst Nintendo achieve and I suspect care about long term ongoing sales of software much more than the other platform holders I think there's a risk a Switch 2 actually fractures and upsets the user base a little.

Nintendo have done this sort of thing already when they released the 'New' Nintendo 3DS.

If not for the ongoing chip shortage, The OLED Switch would have also been upgraded with a new performance enhancing chipset alongside the other improvements.

5 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

I thought I posted this, but in the end I don't think I did. And now I've played with my SteamDeck I'm convinced.

Firstly, after 24 hrs the Steamdeck is incredible, and beyond what a next gen switch made today could do. It's fantastic and I love it. It's worth every penny. You should get one. It's really, really good. I can't stress this enough.

But..... Nintendo would be bloody lunatics to release that themselves. It's massive. Noisey. Fragile. Fails as a mass market device in almost every way, Only 720p. Feels hollow. Scolding hot (when you touch the body) and has a terrible non-OLED screen. It's as appealing as a Lynx. And valve have managed to make 50k in a 6 months. It plays transitioning 'next gen' titles but with huge compromises. And costs at least £100 more than any switch could launch at.

Switch OLED, is the absolute best upgrade they could have made, with tech where it is. With all it's compromises, I will by indies on Switch first. Even now. 

Again, I love my Deck, but the tech is a ways out before Nintendo can leverage that. Instead they'll launch a slim, 720p/1080p machine in a couple of years, and everyone will say it's behind the times - but it will be the right decision. That or they'll be Nintendo and release a Mario Cap that's also a VR headset and the first game lets you be cappy, and you have to build your controllers out of cardboard.

Either way, whatever they do, I'm on board.

The steam deck is 800p. If yours is scalding hot then you might want to reset it or something. It can get warm but I’ve never felt it particularly hot or anything.

Regardless of the Decks less massmarket qualities (which I assume are because it’s a more complicated user experience?) the power of the hardware is evidence enough that Nintendo need to pick up the pace a bit, tech wise. I mean, they probably won’t as much as any of us would like but they should.

5 hours ago, Djx said:

Nintendo have done this sort of thing already when they released the 'New' Nintendo 3DS.

If not for the ongoing chip shortage, The OLED Switch would have also been upgraded with a new performance enhancing chipset alongside the other improvements.

The New 3DS had the grand total of one exclusive game and some emulated SNES games.

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

The steam deck is 800p. If yours is scalding hot then you might want to reset it or something. It can get warm but I’ve never felt it particularly hot or anything.

Regardless of the Decks less massmarket qualities (which I assume are because it’s a more complicated user experience?) the power of the hardware is evidence enough that Nintendo need to pick up the pace a bit, tech wise. I mean, they probably won’t as much as any of us would like but they should.

Where you hold it stays cold, but the centre, is roasting. That Linus Tech guy did a good video about it. Brilliant design. But a design for adults. The Deck is nowhere close to a device that's suitable for children. Nintendo just couldn't release it. That's what I mean by mass market. It's a hobbiest device. 

I do think they might make a New Switch which runs in 'Docked mode' whilst in handheld. But beyond that, I suspect we are still a while out. Especially whilst China is still taking the Zero Covid, lock down, close the cities approach, and no one can mine rare-earth elements in Ukraine. The world is struggling.

People say chip shortage and all the other usual suspect scapegoats, yet the mobile phone industry and the home computer industry still continue to release annual refreshes and brand new products (and they have way higher sales volume to boot). The console industry isn't some Unicorn.

The primary reason Nintendo wouldn't want to bother releasing a successor currently is the simple fact the demand for the current system hasn't fallen off a cliff yet, so why bother?

They told developers ages ago to prepare 4K versions of their games.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

People say chip shortage and all the other usual suspect scapegoats, yet the mobile phone industry and the home computer industry still continue to release annual refreshes and brand new products (and they have way higher sales volume to boot). The console industry isn't some Unicorn.

Mobile phones are a 500 billion dollar industry, vital for the infastructure of the world to work, Nintendo a a 8 billion dollar toy industry. They get the scraps.

And Apple have experienced shortages due to the chip outage - at least in their iPad product range. It’s possible they’ve prioritised phone production, though that’s just speculation on my part. 

Nintendo are primarily in the business of selling software.

Will Nintendo start releasing software that needs new hardware that will justify them starting from zero user base, especially given the added risks involved? Probably not anytime soon.

I think Nintendo stepping off the performance/graphics treadmill makes generational transitions especially risky compared with MS/Sony. They’ll have to do it eventually but it makes sense for them to drag their heels as much as they can.

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

The primary reason Nintendo wouldn't want to bother releasing a successor currently is the simple fact the demand for the current system hasn't fallen off a cliff yet, so why bother?

They told developers ages ago to prepare 4K versions of their games.

I agree that they might not want to release a successor to Switch just yet, but an upgrade? 

I think the OLED was meant to be that upgrade model, but in the end chip shortages and the current climate meant that it wasn’t viable, so they did everything they could bar fitting it with a better chip. 

Where that leaves them now is hard to say, will they still try & release a Switch Pro in the next couple of years or just ride out the storm and release Switch 2 when things have calmed down a bit? I reckon the latter, in 2024 - Switch sales should have become more saturated by then and the market will be ready for something new.

I wouldn’t rule out another Lite revision in the meantime either. 

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

My dude.

Nintendo played a huge part of my childhood, and I think it’s a bloody shame that Nintendo stopped competing with Sony and Microsoft. I want GameCube 2, and I want it to bring me as many good memories as the original GameCube did.

Take my money, Nintendo!

I had to buy a PS2 roughly 6 months after getting a Gamecube because of the lack of support from certain studios and publishers so let's not go back to those times please.

It’s astonishing though how advanced the best GameCube games were. Resi 4, Metroid Prime and F Zero GX were cutting edge and if released today in HD they would arguably still be the best 3 games of the generation without any modifications. 

13 hours ago, Stevie said:

Nintendo played a huge part of my childhood, and I think it’s a bloody shame that Nintendo stopped competing with Sony and Microsoft.

They did? :hmm: