IGNORED

Can we expect a new Nintendo console any time soon?

Rayn

I don’t see the need to rush, Switch is still selling stupid numbers and new games like Lego Star Wars looks amazing on the it.

The PS5 and Series X were rushed out, are 18 months into a 5 year life cycle and have no games, so Nintendo can easily hold out and produce a newer spec console when it is needed. 

7 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I reckon they'll be a lot more cautious after seeing the failure of the Wii U after the enormous success of the Wii. They don't want the same thing to happen with whatever comes next. 

All I need is a more powerful switch ( not eveb expecting or needing it to rival Sony or Xbox) but fully backwards compatible with Switch games and hardware (including Joycons), but then that might confuse the people that couldn't work out Wii U was different to Wii. 

Nintendo's biggest mistake with the Wii U was not paying attention to the fact that the Wii sales had basically died by around 2011. The market had spoken and was no longer interested in the Wii, so Nintendo's move was - Here's a new Wii! expect it might not be because it's maybe a tablet or maybe both a tablet and wii? or works with the old wii dunno. 

The Switch and it's hybrid portable form-factor is absolutely what the market wants, as it's doing gangbusters and continues to do so. 

1 minute ago, Mogster said:

Earlier "Switch Pro" speculation suggested they could make use of Nvidia's DLSS upscaling to support higher resolutions, which sounds sensible to me.

I've not followed PC  gaming for a while now and keep forgetting about stuff like DLSS and of course this makes sense. I think it's very likely that Nintendo will embrace such a technology. Personally I could care less about the actual hardware and benchmark scores but looking at the output from the switch on an OLED (or even QLED) on screens that are 65 inches or larger it does leave a lot to be desired. 

I actually know the answer to this. Someone at Nintendo recently said that we are about halfway through the Switches life cycle, this was probably said to keep people buying switches and so the actual answer will be more like 70-75% into the life cycle. Which would mean that 2024 is the year we transition into a non-switch Nintendo machine.

So the answer is simply, 2024.

I have no issues with the Switch really, its the damn joycons which are the biggest PITA. They fail like clockwork, and despite opening and fixing them it seems buying one is the best solution

I hope they don't bother any time soon, purely as I will actually want one... scalpers are going to make buying pretty much anything a pain forever now aren't they? 

I think we have overlooked an elephant in the room that is clearly going to become a key part of 3rd party releases going forward.

Why develop a game to run natively on switch hardware when you can try and get it running through cloud instead?

If you can a game running acceptably through the cloud then the need for better hardware to keep your release schedule up to date reduces.

I don’t like cloud gaming but the role it has to play in the future of video games is becoming undeniable.

20 minutes ago, Dig Dug said:

I don’t like cloud gaming but the role it has to play in the future of video games is becoming undeniable.

Absolutely as well as been greener too... less hardware going into landfill... :) All for cloud gaming if it works well!

1 hour ago, Capwn said:

I actually know the answer to this. Someone at Nintendo recently said that we are about halfway through the Switches life cycle, this was probably said to keep people buying switches and so the actual answer will be more like 70-75% into the life cycle. Which would mean that 2024 is the year we transition into a non-switch Nintendo machine.

So the answer is simply, 2024.

Actually my uncle,  who works for Nintendo, has said Super Switch will be out for Christmas this year. Metroid Prime 4 and Half Life 3 launch titles.

17 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Actually my uncle,  who works for Nintendo, has said Super Switch will be out for Christmas this year. Metroid Prime 4 and Half Life 3 launch titles.

OK I’m calling bullshit.

Cloud gaming is definitely a threat to Nintendo’s business model. I can see Microsoft releasing their own streaming-only handheld for Game Pass, which would kind of turn your Xbox into a Switch-like device, as long as you’re using somewhere with WiFi (you can already do this with a third party handheld or a phone + controller, but it’s far from mainstream).

There will be always be a market for native games though. Can you imagine sorting out your kids’ network connections in the car while they’re playing Animal Crossing, or explaining why they can’t play it on a plane.

Why would they replace the form factor of the switch - it's *clearly* a massive success for them.  Would you like it if phone manufactures massively changed form and functions with every release?

Nah - just gimme a more powerful switch so it can do games like MK8 and BOTW in 4K and look good on a big telly.  

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Cloud gaming is definitely a threat to Nintendo’s business model. I can see Microsoft releasing their own streaming-only handheld for Game Pass, which would kind of turn your Xbox into a Switch-like device, as long as you’re using somewhere with WiFi (you can already do this with a third party handheld or a phone + controller, but it’s far from mainstream).

There will be always be a market for native games though. Can you imagine sorting out your kids’ network connections in the car while they’re playing Animal Crossing, or explaining why they can’t play it on a plane.

Personal hotspots... sorted.  

I've got a 500Gb connection and cloud gaming still looks and runs a bit wank.

2 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Personal hotspots... sorted.  

I've got a 500Gb connection and cloud gaming still looks and runs a bit wank.

Mate…I’m on 60mb fibre and it’s flawless.

Every time I try and play anything via the cloud on xbox on 70mb wired internet it struggles to load stuff in quickly enough. It'll feel fine but certain visuals will seem like they're constantly lagging behind. It's really annoying because I'd love to play Flight Sim and not have it completely fill my Series S. 

For that reason it just doesn't feel like a very mainstream Nintendo thing to do. That and the fact they've always been a bit scared of online anything. 

I think that’s an XCloud problem rather than a Cloud problem. That wouldn’t happen on Stadia.

The chance of Nintendo being able to get it right if Microsoft can’t seems fairly minimal though.

My prediction is that we'll see a Switch successor in early 2024. Damn near identical form factor but with massively upgraded performance. 

I don't think there's much chance of Nintendo fully embracing cloud gaming anytime soon.  

I'd expect to see something 2023 or 2024 if I'm guessing, using that clever upscaling tech to hit higher resolutions without having to stick a whole PS4 thermal envelope in a handheld with a fan and a massive chonky design like the Steam Deck does.

Launching mid-gen didn't hurt the Switch, whereas launching a year before next-gen hurt the Wii U because everyone just waited for the PS4.

You have to remember tat even nintendo is suffering from the chip shortage, and that's on a process that's now quite old. There's also little incentive for them to rock the boat at the moment. Last month the switch was the leader in both dollar value and units sold in America. They are also still selling lot's in Japan and in europe. This gives them plenty of time to see where the market is going and when a new machine is needed. They also haven't ever officially reduced the price to any large degree. A price cut would give the system a healthy boost if needed.

I bet they would also really like to see it outsell the PS2 over it's life time.

Also it seems that any new switch would be based on Nvidias Drake SoC. There seems the two of them in the making and one of them Is within the power envelope of a new switch. It could be pretty close to steamdeck in power.

I do wonder if subscription/cloud gaming is as much of the "future" as predicted.

I know its only a recent thing - but there's been an massive boost to to physical media sales - CD's in particular. Its nice to be able to actually play games/listen to music/watch films without paying a subs fee or being able to watch films and series that currently aren't available outside of what the streaming companies decide they are providing at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I do wonder if subscription/cloud gaming is as much of the "future" as predicted.

I know its only a recent thing - but there's been an massive boost to to physical media sales - CD's in particular. Its nice to be able to actually play games/listen to music/watch films without paying a subs fee or being able to watch films and series that currently aren't available outside of what the streaming companies decide they are providing at the moment.

The flip side is it’s nice to have this ‘curation’, such as it is…the Stadia Pro library is a bag of shit by anyone’s definition, but it does regularly make me have a go on games I wouldn’t have thought to buy in a million years. In fact just this month I played through Deliver Us the Moon and Lake, and loved both of them, just because they were ‘free’ and there. And there are stacks I’ve played through for the same reason.

It won’t suit most gamers at all, but for me I’ve found I quite like not having much choice.