An actual stone cold classic movie.

52 minutes ago, Illyria said:

In danger of drawing the entire forum's ire here but... I watched it for the first time recently, and thought it was just ok... I understand why people loved it at the time it was released, and who grew up watching it, though. It's also possible I overhyped it in my head before watching, the same happened with Indiana Jones.

I'm sitting here riddled with COVID so maybe I'm not thinking straight but you know what? I forgive you.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

It's the Godfather. Simple. 

Never seen it (or any of the sequels). I really hate the whole idea of the mafia, so anything mob related I tend to skip. So whilst it's almost certainly a great film I can't agree that I loved it, due to never having seen it. (FWIW - I actually would like to watch it after so very many years of hearing about how good it is, but it's never on telly, so I still haven't. I think I'll still hate the creepy nasty Mafia aspect though...)

8 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Never seen it (or any of the sequels). I really hate the whole idea of the mafia, so anything mob related I tend to skip. So whilst it's almost certainly a great film I can't agree that I loved it, due to never having seen it. (FWIW - I actually would like to watch it after so very many years of hearing about how good it is, but it's never on telly, so I still haven't. I think I'll still hate the creepy nasty Mafia aspect though...)

It's fine to hate the Mafia. But the film is called a masterpiece and often cited as the best ever for a reason. Give it a go. 

I hate serial killers, murderers, rapists, Tories etc etc but I will still watch films on horrible subjects due to the quality of filmmaker, writing, acting and getting me engrossed in the story. 

11 hours ago, Turino 73 said:

I'd call The Lego Movie a stone cold classic that was kinda adored at the time but has been semi forgotten as just a romp. 

Nope.  Balls to bones, a classic.  Timeless.  Funny.  Just great.

I hate Leon.  I find myself genuinely puzzled by the love it gets.  I can't even put my finger on why, it just felt really stupid to me ever time I've watched it.  Like it was built around too many nerd / comic book type cliches, I dunno.  I generally like most Luc Besson films, just not Leon for some reason.  Definitely not a classic in my book.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:01, Turino 73 said:

I'd call The Lego Movie a stone cold classic that was kinda adored at the time but has been semi forgotten as just a romp. 

Very overrated in my opinion.

On 22/06/2022 at 12:01, Turino 73 said:

The Lego Movie 2 bombing is proof of that, despite it arguably being the better movie.

I think people have hit the nail on the head with stuff like Aliens and Tremors.

I mean, Aliens is sooooo incredibly rewatchable, I could literally watch it, then start it again immediately. It just never, ever gets old...  :wub:

Plus, it has something for everyone, its got awesome gung-ho action, has an absolute kick-ass female lead, tremendous supporting characters and cast, it's genuinely tense in places but lets up frequently with some cool action or marine banter, effects that still stand up today and its paced 100% perfectly. Serious question, is there anyone here that doesn't like Aliens?

Edit: obviously i'm a massive fan and biased as hell - i even bought the pinball machine which also ROCKS😀

aliens.jpg

aliens2.jpg

Watching Thing again, probably my most watched movie ever. I feel its definitely deserves to be called a stone cold classic. The characters, FX, music, story is just perfect.