IGNORED

An actual stone cold classic movie.

OK. 5 minutes of skimming any thread on here and you'll find a counter opinion to any movie review. 

Someone will like a film followed by;

2 people will agree.

3 will say its Meh.

1 will hate it

3 will pull the plot part but still like it. 

1 will blame the Tories.

6 will claim it hasn't aged well

Someone will mention memory berries or some other hipster term they read on some pretentious website they hold to be sacred. 

But. There have to be some movies that absolutely everyone loves. 

Can you think of one movie that not even your cool top knot wearing hipster friend would snear at? 

I'll start the ball rolling with... 

Toy story 2. 

I defy anyone to hate that. 

7 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

OK. 5 minutes of skimming any thread on here and you'll find a counter opinion to any movie review. 

Someone will like a film followed by;

2 people will agree.

3 will say its Meh.

1 will hate it

3 will pull the plot part but still like it. 

1 will blame the Tories.

6 will claim it hasn't aged well

Someone will mention memory berries or some other hipster term they read on some pretentious website they hold to be sacred. 

But. There have to be some movies that absolutely everyone loves. 

Can you think of one movie that not even your cool top knot wearing hipster friend would snear at? 

Toy story 2. 

ive watched it twice this week :coffee:

Finding films that everyone on this forum likes is easy: Predator, RoboCop, Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters...

Finding films that everyone elsewhere likes is impossible!

19 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Toy story 2. 

Not searched letterboxd reviews by lowest then...

Look I know there are millions of people who just like this film. They saw it when they were young. The world is awash in it's merchandise ----CGI isn't aging like a cartoon or even a film. CGI is aging like a video game.

-Tim Allen(Buzz Lightyear) is a Trump supporter and has 100 million dollars
-You as a viewer are giving money to a trump supporting millionaire. Fun Fun
-Knowing that guy is in it just casts a pall over the whole thing
-It would be sad so that so many film are saddled with such a limp rag as Tom Hanks(400 million dollar fortune), but then again he never seems to appear films that even have a chance at being good so no loss. (Yes he seems like a truly nice guy)
-Compare the CGI in this to the CGI in that stupid Spiderverse film. It is like Toy Story 2 is in Black and white. It just looks awful.
-It is like the film(All the characters being older than their parents) is teaching the kids to play with their toys in a better more interesting way.
-Ahh so this is a ripoff of Follow that Bird(1985) apparently
-It seems like this film is relying heavily on people being amazed by the now rudimentary looking cgi
-The humor is extra broad trying to breath life into these computer creations..
-Tim Allen(Home Improvement) And Tom Hanks(Bosom Buddies) aren't really funny they are only slyly charming
-This film is cold(Unlike say Brave Little Toaster). They spent 90 million dollars for a film that isn't in the same league as the 2.3 million dollar Brave Little Toaster
-The Jessie Character is really freaky looking, Almost like that character in the Night before Christmas(A film that still looks great).
-The whole making the film into an amusement park ride is annoying. I would rather go to an amusement park.
-it definitely has that Spielberg Tiny Tunes inauthenticity
-there is no one to feel for in this movie the protagonists are just really old rich white guys doing voices for money.
-You know someone is gonna go back to these cgi films one day, once the computer power is available, and just reanimate the entire movie
-this is your dads movie. A bunch a guys a few cardboard women
-Oh god that song is treacle
-Everything in this film was done by committee, by people who always think they are smarter than the audience. They don't make things they would admire. They make things they think some imaginary "viewer" would pay to see.
-Tiresome chases abound
-I love Wallace Shawn but I hate to see him in this.
-I think one of the problems is that there is so much physical comedy in these films. Part of the fun of physical comedy is marveling at the person performing it.
-The deeper you get into the film the more and more you realize just how inconsequential this film is.
-The snappy "dialogue" gets really old
-A lot of the movie is about showing the new computer gravity effects
-If you close your eyes you instantly picture all the actors doing their voices in some studio
-you know not giving it up to these huge corporations and their facile entertainment is actually more inspiring than making yourself feel something about an inauthentic film.
-May not be polite but...

I dislike toy story 2 with even more of a burning passion.

this is where the stress started

Tom Hanks is one of the most evil men in hollywood and his wicked ways will come to light eventually... I can't listen to this cowboy speaking without thinking of all Tom Hanks' victims crying for help

this movie is fucking boring as shit and i feel gaslit every time someone gives it 5 stars

I’d go for Out of Sight and Children of Men. 

Out of Sight is a sexy film, a heist movie, wonderfully soundtracked and has charm

running throughout. 

Children of Men has a strong plot, super set pieces and wonderful cinematography. Oh, and Michael Caine asking people to pull his finger when he wants to fart. What’s not to love? Apart from the unrelenting hellscape. 

I found Children of Men boring as shit and I also have an irrational dislike of Clive Owen - a pre-emptive veto for any film he's in.

Out of Sight I'd have to watch again as it doesn't seem to have left even the slightest impression on me from watching it at roughly 15 years old.

I genuinely think Toy Story 2 is fucking awful cringe. Not a huge fan of the franchise overall, the third is the only one I find to be great.

When it comes to Pixar, Ratatouille is unbeatable.

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Finding films that everyone on this forum likes is easy: Predator, RoboCop, Die Hard, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ghostbusters...

Finding films that everyone elsewhere likes is impossible!

I find Predator, RoboCop and Ghostbusters ok I suppose.  And Raiders is good, but I prefer The Last Crusade.

4 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I genuinely think Toy Story 2 is fucking awful cringe. Not a huge fan of the franchise overall, three is the only one I find to be great.

The third resonates with me because we watched it in the cinema at a time when my eldest was about to leave home for university.

I'd like to put The Shawshank Redemption forward, but then my own damn wife doesn't even get it, so with that in mind I'll go with Big.

Maybe this would work better if we had some rules, like:

Someone suggests a film.

We wait for someone to post that it’s garbage, ruling that film out.

Someone (maybe the same person) proposes a different film surely everyone likes.

Repeat.

Although to get anywhere the line would have to be something like, they don’t dislike the film. We’re not going to find a movie everyone absolutely loves.

Just now, Naysonymous said:

Some people don't like chocolate cake.  Some people don't like pizza.  You are never going to find something everybody likes.

In the entire history of film making, there has to be a film that we can all agree, is "pretty damn good"

4 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

Toy story 2. 

How is it better than the first film, exactly? When everything was fresh. They made it into a pretty standard road movie, and it has that boring Jessie song too.

It’s the worst one of the original three, and I would never choose to watch it over any of the others, probably not even Toy Story 4 because at least that has Duke Kaboom.

I’m saying Toy Story.

2 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

In the entire history of film making, there has to be a film that we can all agree, is "pretty damn good"

Possibly, but when you phrase it like that some people will choose to dislike it just to be contrary.  I'm with @Mike S on Fargo in that I don't think there's anything you could do to improve that movie, it's basically perfect, but I sat to watch it with Mrs Naysonymous and she didn't care for the violence or language.  Take those things out and it might become boring.  You simply cannot please all of the people all of the time. 

This committee is destined to find something fairly average. Anything good enough to be loved is also going to be enormously disliked by others.

For everyone to find something palatable, it's got to be borderline flavourless.

Also it's possibly The Iron Giant.