Do you drive (arcade) stick?

Benny

Question  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been thinking recently about investing in an arcade stick.

Having injured my hand recently and not being able to use my thumb properly for several weeks has stepped up the desire to get one though. What are YOUR favourite sticks, fellow boomers? And which would you recommend for a reasonable price?

Been a Hori man ever since the PS2 era. Real Arcade Pro all the way, but I'm well aware there are better sticks for that money, as they don't use Sanwa parts. Still, I typically get them at a discount. Paid £90 for my PS3/4 RAP noir during a sale a few years ago.

Pad user. Every time I tried to learn to use a stick I stopped because I went from being pretty good to dreadful.

Yeah, long term I'd probably have been way better using a stick, but that initial drop in control was always discouraging.

I have the Mad Catz TE2+ and I really like it, though I dunno how much longer it will last (I've replaced the cable once and I occasionally get a stuttering, double input on directions - might just be dirt).

I'll be looking for a new stick close to Street Fighter 6 and I'm hoping we get a few manufacturers releasing fresh designs.

They're wildly expensive though. I definitely get the use out of them to justify it but a stick under £100 is rare, unless it's second hand or cheaply put together. I saw the PS4 HORI Fighting Edge for £99 recently (Argos maybe? Or somewhere weird like Ryman?) and wish I'd just bought it as a backup stick. I like its less-busy design and brushed chrome finish.

CEX seems to have the Xbox 360 Mad Catz SFxTekken stick for sale online, which works fine on PC, for £50? It's either a trick, or it's filled with tobacco and misery. I don't have an account with them to log in and see for sure.

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=728658031749&categoryName=xbox-360-accessories&superCatName=gaming&title=street-fighter-x-tekken-arcade-fight-stick-pro&referredFrom=boxsearch

I was a pad player since SNES, riiiiiight up until Super Street Fighter IV when I finally switched.

I did have get a stick before then, for SFII HD Remix and vanilla SFIV but I got so frustrated that I couldn't perform moves on reaction as naturally as on pad I went back. Even though the 360 dpad was absolutely terrible. My preferred side switched from left on pad to right on stick too, strangely.  I still don't think my stick execution is great. I keep saying I'll make a conscious effort to adopt a wine-glass grip (sophisticated!) but I have not.

Modern fighting games are generally lenient enough that pad is fine for me most of the time. I mostly played KoF XV, Guilty Gear Strive and Mortal Kombat 11 on pad because I couldn't be bothered plugging in the stick. The DualShock4 and DualSense dpads aren't great though; their stiffness can be a little tiring. I get particularly fatigued when playing charge characters after a while.

What's my point? I don't know I'm bored in work and just typing.

Pad user, but I go for six-button controllers - first with the MadCatz Fightpad released in time for SFIV, and then with the Hori Fighting Commander 4 for something compatible with PS4.

They aren't always perfect - I had to get a replacement MadCatz controller when "up" was busted and my characters wouldn't stop jumping (not much different from my usual playstyle though amirite? ;) ), and I had a thing with the Hori where one or two attack buttons would "stick", but both controllers are fine right now. Generally as long as there are six face buttons and the d-pad allows for easy rotations I'm happy. (The Hori actually lets you "lock" diagonals, which I suppose could be interesting for practicing charge characters?) 

(The Fightpad also gets a lot of use with non-fighters on various emulators for PC; as long as the game is something simple and 2D. It's a nice thing to have around.)

I'll be keen to see if any new pads are announced in time for VI. :) 

I mean I'm a pad user as well normally, but I'm going to struggle to use my left thumb for several weeks so I guess I'm looking for some sort of stick I can use as a stopgap that I can always use later. Something I can just grab in my palm and move my whole arm for movement.

I started on arcade sticks. It was both those, and a small variety of Spectrum joysticks for my primary inputs. I’ve had almost everything over the years, although the last stick I bought was the Mad Catz TE for SSFIV. I retired from fighting games after exhausting myself in Singapore. 8 hours play a day just wasn’t enough to get any better.

Thanks to the MiSTer I’m back in the game, this time with my young son (4). I really need a matching pair, but they’ll need to be customisable with Deamonbite or Brook Fighting Boards to minimise lag, let alone the Sanwa/Happ parts. It’s going to be a costly exercise, but I really think my son will find things easier on a stick. He does really well on the NGPC (which is a kind of a hybrid). He’s even commented on how much better that is over all the other pads we have.

It was really sweet to watch. He started off playing SNK vs. Capcom and all the other mini fighters on that thing, but firing up the MiSTer for the first time and introducing him to the ‘fully grown’ originals blew his tiny mind.

25 minutes ago, bumgut said:

Anyone regularly use a hit box?

My co-ordination with the stick is poorer as I get older, so I was considering one.

I imported a Hitbox a few years back but found it very uncomfortable to use. Pretty sure that's unique to me though as I know plenty of people that use them regularly and swaer by them.

I've been using a Razer Panthera for the past few years and it's been the best stick I've owned.

I wouldn't ever want to be without a stick for shooters and fighters. Far easier on the hands and you can have a consistent feel across multiple systems pretty much indefinitely rather than being at the mercy of whatever D-pad the console manufacturers decide on this time around.

The DualShock 4 D-pad is pretty good as far as they go but my it doesn't take too many fireballs for my thumb to feel totally fucked. Playing guitar I should have a bit of tolerance for building up calluses but I've still got no idea how pad players do it for hours on end.

I've got an old-ass Madcatz TE1 that's basically been gutted and has a new Brook PCB for modern consoles, and a panel replacement on the back and top. It's pretty good. I do have a bunch on hand as I was a glutton for arcade controllers back in the day, but I think it's realistically the last stick I'll own.

There's a learning curve to them, mind, in order to get into muscle memory initially to catch up to just pressing a button - I don't know if it will frustrate you during an injury recovery as opposed to just playing games suited to keyboard input instead.

If you're just going PC, you can pretty much pick up whatever you want in terms of price brackets - I'd probably go with a Mayflash F101 or a used Madcatz to try it out initially, and then throw in some Sanwa/Seimitsu parts to improve the feel down the road, and maybe dropping in a programmed Arduino or Zero Delay PCB if you're feeling super adventurous.

But yeah, I'd err on the side of caution to play games in a hurry with it.

2 minutes ago, Siri said:

I've got an old-ass Madcatz TE1 that's basically been gutted and has a new Brook PCB for modern consoles, and a panel replacement on the back and top. It's pretty good. I do have a bunch on hand as I was a glutton for arcade controllers back in the day, but I think it's realistically the last stick I'll own.

There's a learning curve to them, mind, in order to get into muscle memory initially to catch up to just pressing a button - I don't know if it will frustrate you during an injury recovery as opposed to just playing games suited to keyboard input instead.

If you're just going PC, you can pretty much pick up whatever you want in terms of price brackets - I'd probably go with a Mayflash F101 or a used Madcatz to try it out initially, and then throw in some Sanwa/Seimitsu parts to improve the feel down the road, and maybe dropping in a programmed Arduino or Zero Delay PCB if you're feeling super adventurous.

But yeah, I'd err on the side of caution to play games in a hurry with it.

this one? https://www.amazon.co.uk/MAYFLASH-ARCADE-STICK-F101-Switch-Black/dp/B07D26RD9P?th=1

Yarp. Most of the £70 Mayflash sticks are primarily for PS4/XBO compatibility - which require a separate dongle or plugging an official pad into the stick, which is a bit shit and at that point you might as well buy a brook universal PCB.

I think I might just try that HORI Fighting Stick Mini, as it seems simple and cheap enough to try one. (Assuming it's PC compatible despite the Switch packaging)

I had a bunch of crap ones over the years. The first proper one I got was the madcatz TE for street fighter 4. But after a few years it had a problem with one button not working, after a bit of messing it seemed like it’s not the actual button, but maybe something with the circuit board. So I ended up switching a few wires around to keep six in the right place. 

After a while of being annoyed by that I got a Hori rap, and I’m still using it. 

I don’t think I could go back to using a pad for fighting games anymore, even though I’m still shit it feels so much nicer

1 hour ago, Kayin Amoh said:

The stick I used is probably too old to recommend now, it was a Mad Catz PS3 Street Fighter IV Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition. 

I have one of those, do they work on PS5?

I couldn't say for sure, but I'd assume PS4 games would be fine on it. I think native PS5 games demand you use the Dualsense, so there's a fair chance new PS5 specific games wouldn't work at all.

Just a guess, mind. Haven't tried it.