IGNORED

Cult of the Lamb - Binding of Isaac meets Don't Starve.

moosegrinder

Yep, bugs a plenty.

Couldn't exit the base at one point today because it said I needed to indoctrinate followers (there were none waiting) - fixed that with a restart.

Just now it wanted me to do a funeral ritual for a dead cult member, except the character who it required hadn't been buried and had been*ahem* rationed, so they didn't appear on the list. My follower level took a 45% battering because there was nothing to do but let the timer tick away.

That said, I'm still enjoying this as there's some mental, twisted moments. I married one of the cultists who ended up getting disenchanted when the loyalty level dropped. So I tried some harsh conversation therapy, built a stocks and and jammed them in till I could talk them around and they saw the error of their ways. They ended up one of the few characters who I've buried in the game when they eventually died of old age and it's the fancy grave that also happens to generate the most faith with the 

Spoiler

Grieve the Fallen

doctrine too. Felt quite poignant after all that.

Plus special mention to the Heart guy out in the wilderness and his weird little back story. Only a few lines of text but I think he's my fav of all the characters so far.

On day 55 of my first play through. Using my standard turtling approach and have only disposed of the first God but completed my doctrines and at the highest building levels.

A few bugs as others have said but I’ve found the crusade levels nicely so I’m never overpowered.

40 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

The rituals are completely bugged for me now, can’t do any of them without the game breaking after the ritual has ended.

Just fixed this, I think.

Went back to the Xbox dash and manually stopped the game from running and did a re-boot (just of the game).

Seems to have fixed it so far.

Not to let the bugs detract from the fact this seems really great but: apparently the best way around the 6 people in temple thing is to force other people to sleep. Still six but at least you have some way to decide who!

42 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

Just fixed this, I think.

Went back to the Xbox dash and manually stopped the game from running and did a re-boot (just of the game).

Seems to have fixed it so far.

The good old "turn it off and on again" should be in everyone's default problem solving approach.

But yes, due to the way modern consoles work this means force closing the game which I'm sure half the owners don't know how to do.

Really enjoying this so far (around Day 18). I've downed the first boss once (been close on a run afterwards since the biome got harder but was a bit reckless).

Struggling to keep my followers though. Finally got s prison so maybe that will help fix the shitty dissenters. I think I just need to do more runs to get followers. But I sort of prefer the whole cult management crossed with Animal Crossing / Stardew Valley side of the game to the dungeon runs.

I think I like the idea of a version that just sees all the combat adventuring side relaxed with a thing where I send followers on quests (I see this is a thing but suspect it's not replacing the whole combat part of the game).

In today's blog of Cultism... I definitely think my issue is that I'm trying to do to much management and not enough runs. Not enough gold or bones to really do anything. I can see this is going to be fun but maybe a little stressful at some point.

Last night I was ready to be very annoyed at this. Really struggling to maintain any faith with three dissenters.

As of this morning and a few doctrines faith has become much much easier to maintain. Almost a bit too easy (I'm sure it'll change around again).

It does seem very very easy to tank your faith accidentally.

Die on a run and you lose faith. Which doesn't help when a run can take a day or two.

Get back and try to do a quick sermon before the day ends and realise you've done it too late and woken up followers so you lose more faith.

It's a delicate balance between the runs and camp management. Interesting mechanics how they fit together.

But it must be doing things right because I've fitted 9 hours of this in so far without realising it.

I love the metagame in this, it's Don't Starve but you progress and to some extent collect resources by playing through a Binding of Isaac knock-off. My main issue with it is the Binding bit just isn't as good as Binding. It's interesting that most modern 'top down' shooters have changed the camera from 90deg to the scene to more like 45deg. I think it's much easier to make that angle look better visually, wheras top down is inherently ugly - however, I find it much harder to play at that angle, you regularly find yourself occluded behind enemies with no idea where you are and your screen is unnecasarily compressed on the horizontal axis which makes dodging tricky. Not sure if that makes sense - maybe easier to compare visually:

2138677391_Screenshot2022-08-16at11_17_25.thumb.png.d3cf13ce39ad2b53e3a6dd286ee2e4bb.png

706384633_Screenshot2022-08-16at11_19_37.thumb.png.2174f84d8bff08b75ab5176b6f97e347.png

No question Cult of Lamb looks better but you're playing in much smaller, distorted portion of the screen to accomodate the visuals. 

Anyway, all that aside the mechanics and controls just aren't as accomplished as Binding either. Still enjoying it though, will keep at it as there's lots to to like about the game, just a shame the core game bit isn't as good as it could be.

Finished this last night with 14h on the clock surprisingly - felt less. Didn't outstay it's welcome and should I want to dip back in there's still stuff to be done. 

My game is a bit bored now. 

Just did the 3rd boss no worries. 

But the camp itself is all wonky. I've now buried the same follower 3 times. Their body just respawns. 

I also can't conduct any rituals as they start and goes through the motions but it doesn't give me control back so I'm stuck there hovering in the air. 

It's very annoying so I think I'll hold off and see if the patch that's due resolves it. 

I've found I regimentally save and hard quit the game every few days. I don't trust things not to get very borked otherwise.

Although half the time when I reload any prisoner is stood at the bottom of the steps at the entrance to the camp. They cannot move and I cannot interact with them. I can still re-educate them from the prison.

It's a very very buggy game. I'm having fun but it's amazing the complete shit a developer can put out these days at launch for no reason. I very much wish we were back to the days of no patches and developers had to make sure things actually worked first. This isn't online. Nothing people are doing to see bugs are odd. They're just playing and getting many many issues.

I'd be very wary of touching anything from them in future anywhere near day one.

And I'd love to see an honest statement of how you release a game like this. They know right? They just missed their deadlines hard and had to ship whatever the state.

I was mid-run and the game went blurry, like that shitty 80's video effect, then everything went black. I had to push the stick around until I found an exit and then get myself killed to return to my village. 😐 

I keep hearing about the bugs in this game. Are the bugs equally bad on all platforms or are some platforms better than others, bugs wise? 

I'm really tempted to buy it for Xbox but don't think I'll bother if it's a buggy mess. 

I finished it on Series X and didn’t encounter any major bugs - my plant maintenance followers occasionally stopped working but outside of that I put 14 hours in without incident. 

There's a new patch which finally fixes the amount of followers in the church, unfortunately since playing on it on PS5 I've already had 2 crashes in dungeons since the update, whereas I had never crashed before now. As for my progress I'm up to the biome 3 boss and nearly maxed out my upgrades, but still having fun. Fortunately there's still plenty to aim for in lots of stuff to unlock for gold. For anyone struggling on Hard, I highly recommend getting some more followers and turning them to demons, if you get the upgrade that gets you 2 or 3 demons it helps a lot in getting you to a boss intact. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, DarkCrisis said:

How’s the performance on Switch? Would people get over PS5/XSX for portability?

A friend of mine completed it on Switch and had no issues. I think he set dithering to Maximum in the graphics which he said both helped with performance and looked nicer.