F-Zero X 2 - 8

Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong - 7

Sniper Elite 7 - 5

Silt - 7

Card Shark - 7

Loot River - 7

The Last Clockwinder - 7 

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

That cover is very nice but it’s a little odd that Edge would go to such lengths and expense for the review of DLC.

Actually, I didn’t realise they reviewed DLC at all.

The Destiny series says hi.

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Expense? I don’t think Edge paid to put a game on their cover and the artwork would have been provided by the studio.

A foldout cover with a nice finish, which is made out of thick card is going to be more expensive than the standard floppy cover. The margins on Edge must be pretty tight anyway, so it's impressive that they're allowed to produce these kinds of lavish issues.

8 minutes ago, K said:

A foldout cover with a nice finish, which is made out of thick card is going to be more expensive than the standard floppy cover. The margins on Edge must be pretty tight anyway, so it's impressive that they're allowed to produce these kinds of lavish issues.

I can't speak for Edge but I've worked at places where the magazine itself wouldn't be footing the bill for something like this. 

45 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

The Destiny series says hi.

They do have an unusual, and frequently expressed, affection towards those games but I've no interest in them and disregard any Destiny content so it'd be no surprise to me if Destiny is the only other DLC they have reviewed.

13 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

I can't speak for Edge but I've worked at places where the magazine itself wouldn't be footing the bill for something like this. 

Yeah, that is what the cynic in me was thinking as such a lavish cover seems OTT for DLC of a side scrolling shooter, albeit a very good looking one.

Maybe said DLC is revolutionary or maybe, as others have suggested, they just really love the look of it and thought (correctly) that it'd make for lovely cover. Either way, I am now expecting it to be a straight nine...

20 minutes ago, Mike S said:

They do have an unusual, and frequently expressed, affection towards those games but I've no interest in them and disregard any Destiny content so it'd be no surprise to me if Destiny is the only other DLC they have reviewed.

Of course they wouldn't review new skins or a new level or two, but this is more like an expansion isn't it? Why shouldn't they review it? Why does the way in which it's delivered matter? Nowadays Street Fighter 2 Turbo would be DLC for Street Fighter 2. Is that a game that should neber have been reviewed? A game is a game.

Edit: Uncharted Lost Legacy is a good recent example. Should they not have reviewed that?

10 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Of course they wouldn't review new skins or a new level or two, but this is more like an expansion isn't it? Why shouldn't they review it? Why does the way in which it's delivered matter? Nowadays Street Fighter 2 Turbo would be DLC for Street Fighter 2. Is that a game that should neber have been reviewed? A game is a game.

I've not said they shouldn't review it though have I?

Just that, typically, Edge have not made a habit of reviewing DLC so, when such a lavishly produced cover accompanies the content, I become somewhat cynical.

I don't know anything about Street Fighter 2 as I have zero interest in those games so cannot comment but I don't recall that requiring the original game to play. The gaming landscape has changed quite considerably in the decades since that was released so I'm not sure how relevant a comparison it is anyway.

33 minutes ago, Mike S said:

They’ve reviewed Final Fantasy XIV expansions.

EDIT: This post originally included the typo “revived” Final Fantasy XIV expansions. Maybe those feathers on that one cover were Phoenix down? 🪶 🤔 

9 hours ago, Mike S said:

Yeah, that is what the cynic in me was thinking as such a lavish cover seems OTT for DLC of a side scrolling shooter, albeit a very good looking one.

Maybe said DLC is revolutionary or maybe, as others have suggested, they just really love the look of it and thought (correctly) that it'd make for lovely cover. Either way, I am now expecting it to be a straight nine...

Maybe it's just listening to the Back Page podcast, and how delighted Matthew was on a Nintendo magazine to get a Rhythm Heaven cover past the Future Big Cheeses, with a fold out around a Wii remote and a big A button that presumably revealed Nintendo SPD craziness inside, but I kind of think doing stuff like this is why people get into video game magazine production. You want to make cool things. You'll remember this long after you've left games journalism. Jen Simpkins was on enthusing about the big Playdate  hand crank cover and reveal she did.

In the end, does it matter if the DLC ends up being 9/10 or 6/10? Something like this is way more memorable a cover than most stuff.  Magazine people should be able to get excited about putting nice looking covers together or what are they doing it for?

9 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Maybe it's just listening to the Back Page podcast, and how delighted Matthew was on a Nintendo magazine to get a Rhythm Heaven cover past the Future Big Cheeses, with a fold out around a Wii remote and a big A button that presumably revealed Nintendo SPD craziness inside, but I kind of think doing stuff like this is why people get into video game magazine production. You want to make cool things. You'll remember this long after you've left games journalism. Jen Simpkins was on enthusing about the big Playdate  hand crank cover and reveal she did.

In the end, does it matter if the DLC ends up being 9/10 or 6/10? Something like this is way more memorable a cover than most stuff.  Magazine people should be able to get excited about putting nice looking covers together or what are they doing it for?

Agreed. Games magazines are dying on their arse. Edge’s circulation has plummeted. Future bought up the video game mag market then gutted it. 

So really the cover is a bigger deal than the game. It will be a fond memory long after people have stopped playing the game. Pretty looking games are 10 a penny. But an extravagant cover on a video game magazine? That’s worth celebrating. We don’t know how many more there will be.

14 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

So really the cover is a bigger deal than the game. It will be a fond memory long after people have stopped playing the game.

Hmmm, I mean the cover is really fucking lovely but this is pushing it a bit. 

Cuphead was always a nine. This DLC has been quietly in the works for years. Not saying I'm calling it, but...well, maybe I am. 

11 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

They’ve reviewed Final Fantasy XIV expansions.

EDIT: This post originally included the typo “revived” Final Fantasy XIV expansions. Maybe those feathers on that one cover were Phoenix down? 🪶 🤔 

Having never properly played a Final Fantasy game...

Wait, that's what the "down" in "Phoenix Down" refers to - a bird's plumage? :o

Now I feel stupid because somehow that simple association never occurred to me. Whenever I've heard the item name, I always assumed "Phoenix Down" was just one of those word combinations that gets used in games because it sounds cool. If anything, it made me think of a phoenix that has been knocked out of the sky, in the Black Hawk Down sense. Or maybe a reference to a down in American football.

Next you'll be telling me that Chocobos get their name because they're oboes made out of cocoa. :unsure:

34 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Wait, that's what the "down" in "Phoenix Down" refers to - a bird's plumage? :o

The shock and amazement at the moment of realisation is a thing, don’t worry. You are not alone. I think it goes for everyone, myself included :hat: 

22 hours ago, smac said:

Nah, they went to such lengths and expense because the artistry behind the game warranted it; it's simply a great excuse to go to town, edge-stylee.

And I love that they still do it. Every matt lam or spot varnish, every pixel-art commission, every use of heavy board is a small victory for graphic design and printer's art over accountancy. 

Here's to edge covers; long may they stand out from the crowd.

I’ve been staring at this post for minutes, trying to work out when Matt Lam was editor, and if he was before or after Tony Mott. 

Mine arrived today :wub: One or two of the first paper pages suffered on the edges a tiny bit (the folding cover doesn't match the "width" of the pages) but it survived the trip pretty well considering. The Cuphead feature itself also has some nice big art on its pages. ^_^

28 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Mine arrived today :wub: One or two of the first paper pages suffered on the edges a tiny bit (the folding cover doesn't match the "width" of the pages) but it survived the trip pretty well considering. The Cuphead feature itself also has some nice big art on its pages. ^_^

Post the review scores pls.

Oh, oops.

Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course - 9

Hardspace: Shipbreaker - 9

The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story - 7

Evil Dead: The Game - 5

Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong - 4

Sniper Elite 5 - 7

Silt - 6

Card Shark - 8

Loot River - 5

The Last Clockwinder - 8

12 minutes ago, Wonderm said:

Is this a subscriber cover or retail? Havent bought Edge in a while but like the look of it

Seems to be a cover for everyone - the subs page and the editorial usually indicate if it's unique, but I can't see anything to suggest so.