Scart to HDMI

Can anyone recommend a Scart to HDMI converter that I can buy on Amazon? I’m not after anything fancy, just something I can use for old consoles like the Saturn, for occasional play, now that my new TV no longer has a Scart socket.

You'll get what you pay for. What's your budget? I don't think there's anything I'd recommend on Amazon, unfortunately.

Are you happy to let your TV do the scaling and have a possibly softer image, etc? Are your older consoles displaying an interlaced image? (Such as 480i on a PS2?) Unfortunately there isn't a simple and cheap solution that'll give you a decent picture for multiple consoles and mitigate input latency.

If I were you I'd look for a second-hand RetroTINK 2X-SCART, an older OSSC or a GBS-C AIO. The TINK is basically plug and play.

I'd only recommend an OSSC in this case as there's the possibility of picking one up cheap if someone is upgrading, plus it's versatile enough to cover most use cases. I think it's perfectly suited to most setups where the aspiration is an acceptable picture but I also appreciate that TINKs are much more user friendly and FAR less fiddly.

Just to add to the responses, I think it's important to note that cheap SCART to HDMI boxes on Amazon use components designed for handling video (from something like a VCR) rather than old RGB-outputting consoles. You can expect them to add a lot of input lag.

Thanks for the replies, I’ll do some reading up on the suggestions.

9 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Does it have to be from Amazon? A RetroTink 2x Scart would be a good entry level device. 

It doesn’t have to be, I just hoped there might be something easy/cheap to get a hold of.

9 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Are you happy to let your TV do the scaling and have a possibly softer image, etc? Are your older consoles displaying an interlaced image? (Such as 480i on a PS2?) Unfortunately there isn't a simple and cheap solution that'll give you a decent picture for multiple consoles and mitigate input latency.

A softer image I could live with, input latency not so much. I do have a PS2, so yes, something that can cope with that.

RetroTink sounds like it’s perhaps the way to go, I’ll look into that.

5 hours ago, AceGrace said:

Bear in mind that the OSSC does not support composite. It must be RGB whereas the Retrotink supports composite.

i think the retrotink people recommended (2x scart) is rgb only too? (this is why i've not got one of these devices yet as i don't think recommended and not tooo expensive ones work with n64.)

8 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Thanks for the replies, I’ll do some reading up on the suggestions.

It doesn’t have to be, I just hoped there might be something easy/cheap to get a hold of.

A softer image I could live with, input latency not so much. I do have a PS2, so yes, something that can cope with that.

RetroTink sounds like it’s perhaps the way to go, I’ll look into that.

RetroTink 2x is absolutely the way to go! 

22 hours ago, SimonG said:

Retrotink2x is amazing.  OSSC is amazing too, just complete overkill for most setups 

I've got an ossc, you are right they are great, only handles RGB as far as I know, does retro tink do composite?

3 minutes ago, bplus said:

I've got an ossc, you are right they are great, only handles RGB as far as I know, does retro tink do composite?

Only the 2X-Mini, the 2X-Pro or the more expensive 5X-Pro. The 2X-Mini and 2X-Pro don't have SCART inputs, so you'd need to have something else (like the RGB2COMP) to convert RGB SCART to component to use them.

I'd be reluctant to use composite or s-video with a TINK that didn't have the 5X's shadowmasks to flatter the image. The N64 can look very rough without them.

10 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hmm this is quite complicated, I have an N64 too.

Yeah got mine RGB modded to use with ossc. Wasn't worth it, it doesn't look great. However nes (RGB mod required), snes megadrive look amazing through it. I play N64 games on emulator instead.

Other Pepe might disagree about N64 and ossc, it might be because I haven't configured best settings etc

1 hour ago, bplus said:

The retrotink2x is rgb only, but they have a composite to hdmi too if you need that. 

56 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Hmm this is quite complicated, I have an N64 too.

I really wish I could give you a simple (and inexpensive) answer. Unfortunately progress in this realm has really been left in the hands of skilled hobbyists. Addressing all of my needs has been an uphill struggle, with lots of compromises necessary until I bought a 5X very recently.

(I'm not advising this sort of outlay for your uses, of course!)

i got a component cable for ps2, plugged straight into the tv i think it looks pretty good. i may have a low bar for what looks good though! and that is compared to the previous tv via scart which looked amazingly bad.

1 hour ago, nakamura said:

Yeah PS2 looks awful. 

Screenshot_20220606_171802_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Well, it looks beautiful on a CRT! I've been very happy with the motion adaptive deinterlacing on the 5X since I got it though, probably the first piece of equipment I've had that does justice to the PS2 on a flat panel. Hopefully it'll be the new standard and bob deinterlacing will be left in the past.

2 hours ago, nakamura said:

Yeah PS2 looks awful. 

Screenshot_20220606_171802_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I'm running mine through component into ossc, no matter what I've never got a good pic. Best I got was pass thru :)

4 hours ago, spatular said:

i got a component cable for ps2, plugged straight into the tv i think it looks pretty good. i may have a low bar for what looks good though! and that is compared to the previous tv via scart which looked amazingly bad.

I bought an OSSC for old computers mainly (need some composite to RGB for C64), and after fannying about with the PS2 I just did what you did and used a component straight into the TV. It's perfectly acceptable, it's not amazing but it's not as dreadful as when I used to have it in my old LCD TV via SCART. My eyesight isn't amazing and that probably helps too.

I used to hook a PS2 straight into a Plasma via component and it never bothered me in terms of visuals. In fact it looked excellent.

The lag was noticeable though, even with 480p non-interlaced games.

720p video via HDMI however was even worse. Killed off games on that thing once and for all.