Are Amiga game boxes worth anything?!

So, we're sorting out the loft and I found a massive box of Amiga game boxes (disks are in disk boxes separately) and probably the instructions inside too. Before I recycle the lot, would anyone be likely to want them?

Ta! 

There are definitely big box game collectors, and the Amiga is popular enough that some of its games are worth a fair bit (though not as high as PC games can reach, what with the PC's increased age/relevance across the pond/relevance to modern gamers). Assuming you have any relatively well-liked and/or uncommon games you could get a decent amount for some of them at least — even moreso if they're complete with manual.

I don't specifically collect Amiga games, but I am gradually fleshing out my general "home computer game" collection of the games of my youth — which would include a fair few Amiga games, none of which I've yet picked up. So if you did want to clear them out I'd potentially be interested!

The fella who runs the RMC YouTube channel (Neil) would almost certainly take them - he’s built a sort of exhibition space/retro venue down in Stroud, Gloucestershire. It includes a fake 90s game shop, with various big box games shrink wrapped and put on the shelves as though new. Seems like a genuinely nice guy too. 

Psygnosis’ games seem to fetch reasonable sums if they’re in good condition too. If you have any Psygnosis stuff, I might be interested in buying it. 

Thanks folks - when I can get into the spare room to check what I've got, I'll let you know. (I didn't realise there was quite so much stuff in the loft...) 

I certainly wish I still had the box of Amiga originals that I left in the loft of a house belonging to Dad's Army and Are You Being Served? writer David Croft (my landlord) when I moved out, 20 or so years back. 

Loads of LucasArts and Psygnosis games. Probably worth thousands now!

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, AceGrace said:

I flat packed and recycled a load of Amiga boxes a few years ago 😟

Gave all mine away in 2003. Literally couldn’t sell them, no interest, and even by then many of the disk weren’t readable. (The only Amiga games I could find buyers for were some CD32 titles, which went for a fraction of what they would sell for now).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so the list of boxes I've found so far are: 

• Alien Breed Tower Assualt
  • Back to the Future Part 2
  • Cannon Fodder
  • Captive
  • Carrier Command
  • The Chaos Engine
  • Civilization 1
  • Corporation
  • Corruption
  • Cruise for a Corpse
  • Cystal Dragon
  • Damocles
  • Damocles Mission Disk
  • FISH
  • Frontier: Elite 2
  • Gloom
  • Hyrbis
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  • The Killing Grounds (Alien Breed 3D)
  • Knightmare
  • Laser Squad
  • Lords of Chaos
  • Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
  • Magic Pockets
  • Maniac Mansion
  • Mega Lo Mania
  • Populous
  • Populous 2
  • Powermonger
  • Putty
  • The Seret of Monkey Island
  • The Seret of Monkey Island 2
  • Sensible World of Soccer 95 / 96
  • Starglider 2
  • Technosound Turbo 2
  • UFO Enemy Unknown
  • Ultima VI
  • Warhead
  • Worms
  • Worms: The Director's Cut
  • ZOOL

I've definitely got all the disks (not tested them for a good number of years), however manuals appear to be sporadic - I'm hoping at my parent's house there's another box with them in 😕

The biggest challenge you're going to find here is whether the games actually work anymore. Quite a few seem to sell untested on eBay, so that's the best option. hope you find the manuals, big box Amiga and PC stuff looks great.

5 hours ago, SimonG said:

Definitely a few there of interest.  More so depending on condition and contents of course . 

I've got photos of all the boxes and most are in very good condition if there's any you want to see in particular.

3 hours ago, strider said:

The biggest challenge you're going to find here is whether the games actually work anymore. Quite a few seem to sell untested on eBay, so that's the best option. hope you find the manuals, big box Amiga and PC stuff looks great.

Cheers - yeah, testing them could be tricky. I mean, I've got the Amigas upstairs... hmm. Actually, I should be able to try them on the telly in the front room - just not sure when I'll get the chance.

@Fondue that all really comes down to whether they are complete / tested working and the price you want for them in whatever state they are in. 

I’d be interested in pretty much all of them, but my wallet surely won’t lol

Hopefully my parents, when asked, will say - "oh, this big box jam packed full of stuff?". Sigh.

I'm going through my Nintendo stuff at the moment. At least I had the foresight to keep some of that in good nick 😕

23 hours ago, Fondue said:

Just went through the lot - SO many without manuals. What the hell did young-me do with them all? Super depressing that I can't remember.

I took all my manuals out of the boxes and put them all in one box, which I then wrote "manuals" on in thick marker. 

Fuck knows why?

PXL_20220627_173215869.thumb.jpg.cdac6b828527b8ab4c6a10ea2edd6fd2.jpgWell I guess this is as good a place as any to show off my latest eBay impulse buy - which I am super happy with - minty boxed copies of three Amiga Magnetic Scrolls adventures. Seriously, looking at these is like stepping back in time to 1989, they are so fresh! And with all the posters and little inserts intact in the boxes too!

Edit: Guild of Thieves even comes with a tiny little dice/die - how has someone managed not to lose that for 35 years?

PXL_20220627_175004232.thumb.jpg.d7f29e18bfe4c68fd46bff2c7808f5e6.jpg

I also got all the manuals out of the boxes, and stored them loose in a bigger cardboard box. I think this was probably an extension of the way that I stored all the disks in one of those plastic disk boxes with the clear flip-up lid - you stick the disks in that box and the manuals in this box. But for no clear purpose, because it was impossible to store the manuals in any kind of coherent order, the big cardboard box took up loads of space, and you also had to keep all the boxes somewhere else as well. You would have to be a psychopath to throw away the boxes, but keep the disks and manual.

2 hours ago, K said:

I also got all the manuals out of the boxes, and stored them loose in a bigger cardboard box. I think this was probably an extension of the way that I stored all the disks in one of those plastic disk boxes with the clear flip-up lid - you stick the disks in that box and the manuals in this box. But for no clear purpose, because it was impossible to store the manuals in any kind of coherent order, the big cardboard box took up loads of space, and you also had to keep all the boxes somewhere else as well. You would have to be a psychopath to throw away the boxes, but keep the disks and manual.

Came across this on my regular trawl for Dungeons and Dragons games the other day ...

This seller has every SSI AD&D game, but no boxes, and all of the manuals are hole punched. Someone needs to check under his patio. 

s-l1600 (3).jpg

On 26/06/2022 at 10:21, Fondue said:

Ok, so the list of boxes I've found so far are: 

•  
  • Carrier Command
  • The Chaos Engine
  •  
  • Corporation
  • Cruise for a Corpse
  • Damocles
  •  
  • Frontier: Elite 2
  • Gloom
  •  
  • Starglider 2
  •  

I've definitely got all the disks (not tested them for a good number of years), however manuals appear to be sporadic - I'm hoping at my parent's house there's another box with them in 😕

I’d be really interested in those boxes I’ve listed above, my mum threw out all of my Amiga game boxes when I left home (thankfully, the disks were in floppy disk holders…) I still tell her how much the complete Turrican would be worth just to annoy her! Manuals don’t really bother me, it would just be nice to have those games back in boxes again. 

There are some decent value games in there if you can find the disks and manuals - Laser Squad, Lords of Chaos, Ultima and the Lucasfilm games are probably worth a bit. But only if they’ve got the manuals and especially code wheels.

• 3 weeks later...

Whoop! Mum and dad finally got back from holiday and upon request, mum found a load of manuals etc. They'll bring them down next week when they visit and I'll update the list :D