Star Wars Tales of the Jedi - another animated anthology

JohnC

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, JohnC said:
  Hide contents

Not quite what I expected. Thought it would be stories about lesser used Jedi. Though still good. Wasn't expecting to see Yaddle offed either, until she saw Sidious, when it became inevitable.

I think it could be a sort of pilot/proof of concept that allows them to do future releases covering other jedi, even in other eras such as the high republic.

Unsurprisingly, Star Wars fans have managed to find ways to turn an impressive and enjoyable animated release into an online argument, because Filoni has dared to not 100% follow every word of a book that was written by someone else in 2016 😂 (a booke based upon the plot outline that HE supplied them with back then!)

Spoiler

Oooooh. There's some proper Blade Runner vibes going on in that travelling scene in the middle of episode 4. Had the synths going and everything. They knew exactly what they were doing. Love it.

Lightsaber fight though, just not that interested tbh.

About the last episode:

Spoiler

I really like how Ahsoka deals with that cocky Inquisitor. No messing, just straight up ended, Ronin style. That's my favourite way to actually do anything involving lightsabers now. I think that's partly why I didn't like the Yaddle bit - that felt more like a retread of the equivalent Dooku/Yoda fight for fan service.

Absolutely loved this.

Spoiler

Was a bit surprised they leaned so hard into the failings of the Jedi order. Dooku’s change across the three episodes so well portrayed, you really felt for him, even in the last one. 

Ahsoka’s complete lack of fear seems to have been with her since the start, to the extent of getting a great buzz out of seeing her mother in mortal danger :omg:

Two episodes in and this is poor stuff. While it certainly doesn’t help that they’re characters I care nothing for, I went in optimistic, but dear God the ‘stories’ are simplistic to an insulting level. Ep 1:

Spoiler

Baby Ashoka gets carried away by a tiger. She jedis it. It brings her back. The end. Lol.

Ep 2 is equally basic. I don’t even think it’s very visually attractive (planets are nice, people animation is cack). The voices for the main Ep2 characters were crap too.

Do the stories develop any nuance as it goes on?

Really love them. It's always been the case that the animated Star Wars shows have been very successful straddling the thorny issue of how to make the thing feel like Star Wars and also having the balls to be a little more adult in their story-telling. 

I really like the Andor series, and I think it's a quality bit of tv. But it didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Yet, these anthology stories work wonderfully well.

Ah, I'm just a fan of animation more than live-action I think, and always have been :)

Edit: I'd love to see a full on 'Young Dooku' series - they've made him a really interesting character.

10 hours ago, Jammy said:

I enjoyed them all. The scores were really nice too. Also great to hear

Hide contents

McDairmid and Neeson. Were they lifted from old outtakes or new contributions ?

Spoiler

It's definitely new Neeson stuff and there is too much for the Palpatine stuff to be old I think. Glad to hear them both. 

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

Really love them. It's always been the case that the animated Star Wars shows have been very successful straddling the thorny issue of how to make the thing feel like Star Wars and also having the balls to be a little more adult in their story-telling. 

I really like the Andor series, and I think it's a quality bit of tv. But it didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Yet, these anthology stories work wonderfully well.

Ah, I'm just a fan of animation more than live-action I think, and always have been :)

Edit: I'd love to see a full on 'Young Dooku' series - they've made him a really interesting character.

Yeah I do think this is more the Star Wars I love - not that I dislike Andor. I just like Star Wars to have people swinging laser swords about I guess...

Dooku is definitely a fascinating character - these animated shows do a good job of making a lot of the prequel era films seem a lot more interesting. 

I watched the first three yesterday. I enjoyed them all, but thought the second was the best of that selection. It told a simple little story, but managed to be really quite tense and I like what they're doing with Dooku. Once again it's a much better portrayal of a slide to the dark side than anything from the prequel movies.

• 2 weeks later...

I really like that this and Andor came out at the same time. Something for all of the Star Wars fandom. As somebody who grew up on the OT I like my Jedi more on the endangered side, so Andor was always going to be more my thing, but it's still a good time.