IGNORED

Your go to relaxing / mindless / chill out games

Gloomy Andy

I've just finished Cat Quest on the Switch. 

Picked it up in a sale ages ago and have played it on and off. 

I found I really enjoyed it as it was relatively simple mechanically and not overly difficult.

It was a good way to relax and let my brain unwind, and I was constantly making progress and eventually finished it. 

I guess I like Diablo 3 for similar reasons. It's quite relaxing to just blast through hordes of minions and get that sweet sweet loot. 

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to play next. 

I've booted up Vostock Inc (for the first time in years) hoping it will scratch that mindless itch. 

What are your go to relaxing games?

Flight Sim is the ultimate chillout experience. Pick literally any spot in the entire world and just glide around soaking in the sights. I honestly don’t think I’ll ever tire of it.

Tetris Effect journey mode always sends me off to a happy place. 

Star Wars Battlefront 2 co-op mode is good for some mindless fun with lightsabers and blasters.

Cyberpunk 2077, just driving round Night City after dark listening to deep techno I find an incredibly relaxing and immersive experience.

World of Warcraft and, more recently, Stellaris. Also Planet Zoo/Coaster, but they can piss me off when I can't figure out how to do something I want :P

With World of Warcraft I can play it for hours on end with my brain totally switched off. It's almost like sleeping, and I can find it quite restful.

Right now it's Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast - I have the PC disc and so I keep it installed on my desktop. Otherwise, yes, Tetris Effect, and also Destiny 2 (when it's just something like vanguard playlists.)

Persona games can be pretty chill for me, but then I'm quite familiar with them. It's kind of satisfying to play around with party and demon setups and then go nuts in the dungeons. Right up until The Reaper appears or you get unlucky with the elemental affinities. :lol: 

Also it can be fun to sink into a good roguelite - Delver, Noita, etc. No need to worry about long-term progress; just create a world and go in.

Recently it’s been Coffee Talk on the Switch. It’s more of a visual novel so requires no effort to play. Even if you get the coffee orders wrong it’s no biggie. I love the atmosphere, chatting to the characters and listening to the chilled music. Perfect game to play in bed.

Usually something arcadey where I can switch off, get into the zone and respond purely on reflex:

Defender

Wipeout

Burnout

Crazy Taxi

Score attack/high score games. I don't really like the idea of "ambient" or "idle" games. They make me suspicious.

Something like Outrun, Virtua Racing, Daytona USA or Sega Rally. Usually Daytona, because having it in the Xbox makes it so readily available. 

I have a horrible habit of not wanting to play games if I'm even slightly tired, in my head I’ve got to be at peak performance or I’ll forget where I am in the story, keep dying etc.

But one game I find massively relaxing is No Mans Sky, even if i’m tired, I can fire it up, go and farm some stuff on a couple of planets and generally just chill while playing it

OutRun 2006 on PS2. I can shut myself away in the den on the comfy sofa and just play.

Uncharted 2. The others are great but there's something about 2 that makes it more fun than the others.

Sea of Thieves. Marvelling at the colour of the sunset whilst the waves catch the light, the sound of the sea as you fish to your hearts content. Blissful, tranquil. 

Until some twat turns up and tries to sink you, of course.

4 hours ago, Benny said:

For some reason Vampire Survivors works for this. Just mindlessly compulsive.

Totally agree. Just stared playing it and it relaxes me. Totally forget about my constant headaches when playing it. 

Shenmue. It feels like a portal to a better time in my life. I just like walking the streets and listening to the music sometimes.

Also Animal Crossing, Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

Hearthstone Battlegrounds.

D1AF2F0B-894E-4B93-8591-9474875879DA.thumb.png.4e80045a3cb813f4bba2b33eaa486534.png

2170 hours? I don’t have a problem, I can move on any time I want! It’s just a nice pace for a background noise game to have on your phone requiring only occasional input.