RMC's The Cave in Stroud

Vimster

On 15/09/2022 at 18:28, cassidy said:

I'll be visiting again once that arcade opens downstairs. 

On 15/09/2022 at 20:05, Vespa Alex said:

Same here. 

It's getting there. Had a tour around it on Sunday, if you like the smell of paint then you were in luck. Still some work to do, but they had a couple of cabs available. I got to have a go on the Star Wars stand-up cab and a bit of Robotron.

1089413699_Photo25-09-2022142122.thumb.jpg.a7962021e02eba8ec559cf427605cc36.jpg

1477031938_Photo25-09-2022143129.thumb.jpg.fe711f9c7c078ad52349da624344f10b.jpg

6950280_Photo25-09-2022143140.thumb.jpg.5a71be8f48f6dd4723227fa1092b4c5d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Leneux said:

Hi, I’m a volunteer at the cave! Be sure to say hi if you see me (Michelle) working there. Let me know if you’re from Rllmuk I’d be very happy to have a chat. Never met another rllmuker in the wild. 

I was there in May and would have said hello. 

But also coming back next year to visit again and head to the Arcade. 

19 hours ago, Leneux said:

Hi, I’m a volunteer at the cave! Be sure to say hi if you see me (Michelle) working there. Let me know if you’re from Rllmuk I’d be very happy to have a chat. Never met another rllmuker in the wild. 

I was there a couple of weeks ago so you probably sold me and my mates our stash of books, stickers and shirts :) 

We were there the day before the arcade officially opened and Neil asked if we'd like a sneaky peek. Hell yes! He lead us down to the arcade where Alex offered me a cake from their opening party stash. Mmmmm. Loved playing Star Wars and Defender down there. The moment was sealed when Alex played "West End Girls" by the Pet Shop Boys on the speaker in the corner.

The cave itself is AMAZING. I must have said "I had that!" a million times. It's like being transported back to my formative years again. They even have all 4 binders of "Input" magazine. Remember that!?  

There's a shop room with boxes on display and you can scan them on a wall mounted display and it'll play the game!

Cup of tea for £1.50, hand made in the little kitchen - perfect.

All the handheld toys from the era, complete with a box plastic box of spare batteries.

A TV with a PS1 and Time Crisis all ready to play. (Of course with the light gun)

And on, and on. Pictures don't do it justice. The sounds and tactile experiences made it strangely emotional.

You'd think the time slots are too long and you'd get bored - ooooooh, no.

Oh, and if you fancy some food, the Lavender Bakery down the road is exactly as you'd expect and the food's fantastic, but it's really busy so worth booking a table.

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Slight tangent, hut what's Stroud like for a visit? Any nice restaurants? Cosy hotels? That sort of thing?

Going to sound like husband of the year, but I've been promising the missus a weekend away, just the two of us, sort of thing. And this is in the Cotswolds...

Stroud is small but a cosy, hilly and bohemian sort of town, I'd say. Loads of cafes and small shops. I enjoy my trips there. 

Stroud is fine but if you're going down that way just visit the various Cotswalds villages. Back when I lived in Warwick we would visit regularly :)

Hope to be able to drop in the next time I'm in the UK. It's just logistically hard - me going requires my wife to look after the kids, and our kids are really hard work so she doesn't want to do that :(

And I stuck my head round the door of Arcade Archive which looks just as good. 

It’s much smaller than Arcade Club but everything is in amazing condition and the selection of games is perfectly curated. Alex said they may open around Christmas and New Year so I’ll definitely be back. 

E9708F41-9EA5-4F0F-B026-B6E92A8036DB.jpeg

2D0D0DFE-C5EC-4F3E-BF31-C8AF5DA2CBCF.jpeg

5E007F3A-98B3-452D-96DE-444A664776D3.jpeg

A7CE248E-5DEA-43D0-AEAE-22F32DBD0680.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...