Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

So out of all the cast which ones will big big stars in 20 years time and which ones will crash and burn?

Charlie Heaton probably won’t see 40.

Millie will just go a bit unnoticed in 10 years time.

I think max will be the Oscar winner in 20 years time.

6 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Which of the 80 scenes where he was crying whenever Mike talked about his feelings for Eleven gave it away?

Spoiler

I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure what was going on there. Was he crying because he has feelings for his friend? To me that felt like both an unconvincing retcon and just a bit too on the nose to be true. 

I assume it’s more to do with being gay in the 80s, and that being a difficult thing in general. 

I loved this series, despite it being bat shit crazy, overlong and extremely uneven. The style, the effects, the characters, the story....love it all!

Really the only thing that bothered me in this series was

Spoiler

The Russia plot:

-the sudden arrival home, weren't they supposed to be attacking the mist whatsit?

- why Russia? Don't remember why there is any link to Russia in the first place 

- the two new Russian characters just seem to vanish

- magic sword...though I note it was apparently in the weapons locker. I missed that one!

One more series is just right. The latest setup the end really well. 

Spoiler

- the mist whatsit unleashed the various other Demogorgons in the prison, once they were defeated, that was it

- The entirety of Season 3 involved a secret Russian base on  US soil trying to open a portal to the Upside Down.

- they did vanish. Or rather, somewhere on the trip from eastern Russia to Indiana, they decided to part ways. I'd like to see more of Enzo, if only because Tom Wlaschiha's voice is soooo soothing.

- gotta love a magic sword. Though I do think the ease with which Hopper could take out a Demogorgon, even one supposedly weakened, kinda diminished their ferocity somewhat.

They certainly did the 'everyone's split up' thing much better than in Season 2, which was a bit of a disaster in places (eg. the blatant backdoor pilot for a spin-off series, which was AWFUL), but I'm looking forward to all the main characters hopefully being together now to face the big bad in the final season.

Spoiler

Let's pour one out for Eddie Munson. Great character, total breakout star. This season's Steve! All you need to do is team up with Dustin and you're the best, is the lesson here.

47 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Hide contents

Let's pour one out for Eddie Munson. Great character, total breakout star. This season's Steve! All you need to do is team up with Dustin and you're the best, is the lesson here.

Spoiler

Eddie going out in his debut series, and with that Metallica Moment, sees his character go down in pop culture history like an imaginary James Dean - well, almost, you get the idea hopefully.

Yeah Dustin for MVP - though his shine was taken off a little, from the absolutely appalling limp-acting in the high school gym!  LOL!  We were dying ourselves when watching that!

So apparently  Eddie learned the guitar parts to Master of Puppets as best he could (he did well imo) and the more impressive moments (close ups) were done by Rob Trujillo’s son Tye 

lil silly moments 

Spoiler

Steve wearing the Michael Myers halloween mask, then to paid it off with Vecna being blasted with the same number of shots I think as Mike did in Halloween and disappearing the same.

Eddie playing Master of Puppets was fucking cool, but how did he power the amp on?. There be no electricity unless Vecna has built a power plant.

Small error with one scene with the turnables, using 1200s which was around the time but the Rane mixer is much more recent design. Don't think anyone noticed but stuck out for me.

Finished it and loved the season. I hope Master of Puppets starts getting a ton of air time on the radio like Kate Bush got. Best scene in the show ever. 

Spoiler

But really, fuck the Duffer Brothers for killing him off. The best character! 

Honestly think they should have killed Steve, would have been a lot more shocking and emotional. 

One question though,  how did Hopper's smashed and broken ankle/foot repair itself so quickly? Guy was sprinting down them prison corridors without a hint of injury,  where as Dustin was hobbling all over the place for the last 30 minutes from his wee fall into the caravan? 

I was not looking forward to season four really, seasons two and three had their moments but it felt like it was running out of steam a bit. But this one grabbed me from the start. Thought the kids were amazing as usual, loved the introduction of Eddie and Max actor was astonishing. Yeah, excited for the final season now. 

Thought that was outstanding. Echo all the positives mentioned above.

Spoiler

Eddie was MVP and hopefully a star-making turn for the British actor who plays him.

Apologies if mentioned, but kudos for the outrageous Aliens homage in Ep 8, when the bad guy raiding the Nina base says the exact Gorman line: “Quarter and search by twos. Hicks, take the upper level.”

Was pissing myself.

It took me a while to realise it but Joseph Quinn was in Catherine The Great a few years back and was brilliant in that too. Nowhere near the outright legend status he now has as Eddie Munson but the guy is a class act.

Spoiler

Chalk me up as another devastated by him getting taken out. He was the best thing in the final episode with Hopper the Barbarain / Destroyer a close second. The Master of Puppets scene is my favourite all time Stranger Things moment now and with Eddie sadly gone I doubt that will be beaten in the final episode :(

Re Eddie:

Spoiler

The problem is - they've already got too big a regular cast to effectively manage (Hence the length of some episodes, because of the need to break off groups into A/B/C/D plots etc) and if they all survive, there's no peril. I actually thought it was really ballsy to kill off Max as well, and was slightly disappointed when they undid it. not from not liking the character, but because it would really ramp up the stakes for a final season - no one being safe.

But for Eddie, The character was basically in a dead end so a heroic fall was the only good ending for him. No matter what else would have happened, Eddie would have been convicted of several murders as I don;t think "it was all an interdimensional psychic, but it's fine, we almost killed him" would fly as a defence in court.

14 minutes ago, RFT said:

Re Eddie:

Hide contents

The problem is - they've already got too big a regular cast to effectively manage (Hence the length of some episodes, because of the need to break off groups into A/B/C/D plots etc) and if they all survive, there's no peril. I actually thought it was really ballsy to kill off Max as well, and was slightly disappointed when they undid it. not from not liking the character, but because it would really ramp up the stakes for a final season - no one being safe.

But for Eddie, The character was basically in a dead end so a heroic fall was the only good ending for him. No matter what else would have happened, Eddie would have been convicted of several murders as I don;t think "it was all an interdimensional psychic, but it's fine, we almost killed him" would fly as a defence in court.

Spoiler

I think the possible tragedy of Max's "death" has yet to play out, so we'll see how ballsy it actually is/was in Season 5. I agree there was no way out for Eddie, but then the news was reporting it was a literal Hellmouth by the end of the show so....

I loved this season, but I do actually think it could do with higher stakes. It's very happy to spin its wheels each season, with everyone essentially ending up exactly where they were with minimal change. It's a perpetual summer of discovery for the kids.

Shout out to Caleb McLaughlin though. He acted his fucking socks off in that loft and I thought he was an absolute revelation.

21 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Hide contents

Shout out to Caleb McLaughlin though. He acted his fucking socks off in that loft and I thought he was an absolute revelation.

Spoiler

Lots of other nice nuggets on that Twitter account.

Don't get the hate for this AT ALL. It was absolutely fucking epic and I loved every minute of it. Give me more. Oh my, Nancy f'n Wheeler with the sawn off shotgun. Inject. In. To. My. Veins.

45 minutes ago, RFT said:

Re Eddie:

Hide contents

The showrunners absolutely and visibly don't have the guts to

Spoiler

kill off any of the overstuffed tier of main characters. Which means nothing has any weight or peril.

Eddie's riotous and thoroughly telegraphed arc was a cheap way of creating a temporary connection and snuffing it out, like Sean Astin in a previous series.

Rent-a-martyr.

I'd be interested to see what happened in this series that could be described as 'a surprise' or 'a satisfying conclusion'.

They should've killed off

Spoiler

Mike in this series. He's gone from being one of the leads to a useless arsehole with a negligible arc. I don't know what Eleven and Will see in him.

Better him dead than Eddie, anyway.

25 minutes ago, schmojo said:

The showrunners absolutely and visibly don't have the guts to

Hide contents

kill off any of the overstuffed tier of main characters. Which means nothing has any weight or peril.

Eddie's riotous and thoroughly telegraphed arc was a cheap way of creating a temporary connection and snuffing it out, like Sean Astin in a previous series.

Rent-a-martyr.

I'd be interested to see what happened in this series that could be described as 'a surprise' or 'a satisfying conclusion'.

I definitely didn't expect Dustin to

Spoiler

sprain his ankle like that. 

I thought this season, while slightly dragged out in places, was absolutely fucking brilliant. I'm not sure some of the pay-off would have hit me as hard as it did if things weren't done exactly as they were so I'm happy to accept a little sag when the end result has me out of my seat cheering, crying, laughing and ultimately extremely satisfied with what I got.

Everyone was incredible in that final episode with some obvious standouts and I have every faith the final season will conclude on an epic scale. As I said above I can see no possible way 'Master of Puppets' can be beaten no matter what they do in the finale but even just coming close to that will be good enough.

Oh and slight aside... I've ended up down a Spotify rabbit hole off the back of the final episode only to discover that I appear to be a huge fan of Dance with the Dead. Heard a bit of their stuff before without thinking much of it or caring who it was but yeah, soundtrack for the next few weeks sorted :)