Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

4 hours ago, Stigweard said:

This place can really bum me out at times when I really enjoy something.

Anyway, I thought this season was amazing and that they absolutely knocked it out the park with the finale, even if there was a fuck ton of emotional manipulation.

The kids have always been pretty great in this show, but this season they've matured alot and been outstanding.

Reveal hidden contents

Max "dying" had my wife in tears. Caleb McLaugglin and Sadie Sink were so great in that moment

Also

STOP INTRODUCING AND KILLING CHARACTERS WE LOVE. EDDIE 😭

I agree,  I thought the final two episodes were incredible, it felt like we got two summer blockbuster movies.

I enjoyed it just fine. Last episode did feel a little bit samey and too focused on giving every character some amazing hero moment but it was still engrossing and performed beautifully throughout.

Will

Spoiler

The whole side story with Will crushing on Mike and struggling with it I have found incredibly touching. The eighties didn't really have subtle characterisations of gay people and I don't remember it ever crossing over with adolescence or being exposed to a story like this. It has captured perfectly how I felt and the sort of difficulties I went through using very little but forlorn looks in a handful of scenes. I think Noah Schnapps performance has been very moving and his little moment of solidarity with Jonathan was just beautiful

Also Hopper...

Spoiler

..wielding fucking CONANS SWORD! Totally stupid and daft but I was still out of my chair hooting like a nerdy tit!

On 01/07/2022 at 22:21, Thor said:

Hmmm, while I have enjoyed every season, that finale was ... hmmm. I still reckon this should have been a one off, or an anthology with a whole new cast and theme every season. 

That wouldn’t have worked anywhere near as well. A large part of the show’s success is the emotional investment you have in this particular group of characters which has been built up over the four series.

26 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

That wouldn’t have worked anywhere near as well. A large part of the show’s success is the emotional investment you have in this particular group of characters which has been built up over the four series.

But have any of the later seasons matched the quality of the first? That first season was exceptional, and has a great ending. They could have left it there and gone on to something else. 

43 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

They should have kept the cast but had a different mystery/threat each season that needed solving, the upside down has been nothing but diminishing returns since the start. They’ve resorted to a phenomenal amount of retconning in season 4 to try something new with it (which has worked, to an extent) but that revisionism has simultaneously undone most of what made it interesting in the first place. 

Agreed. All of the mystery around it has been explained away.

Spoiler

Finding out that it was Vecna behind everything so far was so unsatisfying. He was such a poor villain compared with something terrifying and inscrutable, like the Mind Flayer.

Eleven has become the Duffer Brothers’ Sonic Screwdriver, she can and can’t do whatever is convenient at any given moment. Same with the upside down itself, it’s all magic and there’s no consistent rules to any of it. This was fine in season one but the more they hang off it, the less weight it bears. 

14 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

The problem I often have with "they should have done this other thing" is that the other thing is always brilliant, simply because it was never implemented.

When a show does do the other thing, if it fails then it's often "they should have done the same thing", with the same underlying expectation of continued brilliance.

When you look at some of the things Stranger Things has taken direct influence from (Stephen King, Steven Spielberg, Joe Dante, a myriad of 80s adventure films, Goosebumps, Eerie Indiana, Round the Twist) there’s little doubt that there’s a ton of inspiration that they could have mined for a compelling anthology show. A thinly veiled Salems Lot mash-up with the same characters (for example) would still have a felt a lot fresher than what we actually got in Season 2.

Something that is bothering me… in series 2 I recall Eleven running off to the city where she encountered a bunch of renegade kids with similar powers to herself. As far as I can remember (it’s a while since I watched it) did this storyline go anywhere as it doesn’t really fit with what we now know about Eleven’s backstory?

Spoiler

I think if this was going to go on for another 3-5 seasons, then it would be great to keep the Mind Flayer as this inscrutable otherworldly entity, and build up a face for it and personal stakes indirectly through its lieutenants/monsters. “Vecna’s its five-star general” is such a compact bit of exciting world building, and the flesh spider from S3 felt like it told you a lot about what the Mind Flayer is without exposition.

But if we only have one more season, I think we need to have Vecna as the explicit face of the enemy. Otherwise it’s just a bunch of people fighting a cloud that most of them don’t even have an indirect relationship with, which we don’t yet have enough of a sense of. 

It’s self-inflicted of course, there are ways they could’ve got here where they wouldn’t need to do that.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I enjoyed it just fine. Last episode did feel a little bit samey and too focused on giving every character some amazing hero moment but it was still engrossing and performed beautifully throughout.

Will

Hide contents

The whole side story with Will crushing on Mike and struggling with it I have found incredibly touching. The eighties didn't really have subtle characterisations of gay people and I don't remember it ever crossing over with adolescence or being exposed to a story like this. It has captured perfectly how I felt and the sort of difficulties I went through using very little but forlorn looks in a handful of scenes. I think Noah Schnapps performance has been very moving and his little moment of solidarity with Jonathan was just beautiful

Also Hopper...

Hide contents

..wielding fucking CONANS SWORD! Totally stupid and daft but I was still out of my chair hooting like a nerdy tit!

Oh shit! I forgot about that part. I was all like,

Spoiler

Where did the Master Sword come from?!

Totally left field, but just daft enough for the viewer to jump into the madness with both feet. 

51 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

That one almost felt like they were mining for a spin-off, and the huge negative reaction to the episode probably put the brakes on it.

Fair enough, but has there ever been any explanation for their existence given what we now know about papa’s “children”?

7 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

IIRC, the original plan was to have the kids in just the first season, and the story flash forwards several decades for the next season. But the (unexpected?) popularity of the series led to those plans being altered – any why season 2 was arguably the weakest.

Also one of the best smaller moments was....

Spoiler

The way the jock died being split in half was something else. Somewhat mean spirited even though he was a dick, but kind of overkill.  

Just finished it.

I thought the whole thing was outstanding. 
However I do have some gripes with the story. I would have preferred them to be interacting together rather than running parallel storylines.

The final episode could have lost 30 minutes of deep and meaningfuls.

I kinda want a bit more from 11 other than “I’m sucking a lemon” faces and “I point, you explode and then I scream” action.

Master of puppets though….

So out of all the cast which ones will big big stars in 20 years time and which ones will crash and burn?

Charlie Heaton probably won’t see 40.

Millie will just go a bit unnoticed in 10 years time.

I think max will be the Oscar winner in 20 years time.

6 hours ago, Eighthours said:

Which of the 80 scenes where he was crying whenever Mike talked about his feelings for Eleven gave it away?

Spoiler

I’ll be honest, I’m not entirely sure what was going on there. Was he crying because he has feelings for his friend? To me that felt like both an unconvincing retcon and just a bit too on the nose to be true. 

I assume it’s more to do with being gay in the 80s, and that being a difficult thing in general. 

I loved this series, despite it being bat shit crazy, overlong and extremely uneven. The style, the effects, the characters, the story....love it all!

Really the only thing that bothered me in this series was

Spoiler

The Russia plot:

-the sudden arrival home, weren't they supposed to be attacking the mist whatsit?

- why Russia? Don't remember why there is any link to Russia in the first place 

- the two new Russian characters just seem to vanish

- magic sword...though I note it was apparently in the weapons locker. I missed that one!

One more series is just right. The latest setup the end really well.