IGNORED

Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

3 hours ago, Festoon said:

That's what I took from it, especially with the 

Hide contents

items in the house being from a few years before.

I don’t think that’s right:

Spoiler

001/Vecna was pushed into the Upsidedown before Will travelled there, but all the objects in Nancy’s bedroom were from when Will made the journey.  I think the Upsidedown exists on its own terms. 

I think there’s a bit of retconning going on though:

Spoiler

For example, in the first season we were meant to think that Eleven’s use of her psychic power to make accidental contact with the Demogorgon was what triggered the inter-dimensional travel.

So what happens next, and what that means for the ‘lore’ of the show is anyone’s guess. 

7 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

If we're going to question the accuracy of the pop cultural details that the programme mines, then the whole thing immediately falls apart when you realise that a bunch of kids that age in 1986 never mention Michael Jackson.

(We know why of course...)

It doesn't really matter, though. ST is a theme park ride through period stereotypes. I wouldn't be surprised if the most ardent fans weren't even alive during the time it's set.

You have to be kidding on your first point. MJ is absolutely idolised in the states.

37 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

You have to be kidding on your first point. MJ is absolutely idolised in the states.

Makes the absence of his presence even more glaring, doesn't it?

I’m not sure that Michael Jackson’s absence in the background world building is necessarily a big deal. There are probably a whole bunch of other cultural touch points that are absent too. And given the season 2 trailer, it’s not like MJ is somehow forbidden.

15 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Makes the absence of his presence even more glaring, doesn't it?

Oh yeah. I mean the "we know why of course" bit.

I'm on episode 5 of this. It's absolutely brill. 

38 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I’m not sure that Michael Jackson’s absence in the background world building is necessarily a big deal. 

My argument was that it isn't worth getting hung up on details like that.

8 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

My argument was that it isn't worth getting hung up on details like that.

I fully agree. My post was just a general response to the comments about Michael Jackson, not specifically aimed at anyone.

I think that, as long as the work stays true to its own internal logic and sense of place, then that’s usually enough for most viewers. It’s pretty much always possible to find flaws if you go looking for them. Most of the time though they don’t really matter unless the piece is shouting out about its unbeatable attention to detail, or if they go too far and break the suspension-of-disbelief barrier completely.

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I’m the first one to nitpick but the hacking scene uses such a weird mish-mash of computer stuff (an A1000 running Workbench 1.3 but in monochrome green?) that I think it constitutes a deliberate tribute to how 1980s movies depicted computers.

Agreed. Only someone who knew what they were doing would have come up with that computer interface. 

16 hours ago, Popo said:

I don’t think that’s right:

Hide contents

001/Vecna was pushed into the Upsidedown before Will travelled there, but all the objects in Nancy’s bedroom were from when Will made the journey.  I think the Upsidedown exists on its own terms. 

I think there’s a bit of retconning going on though:

Hide contents

For example, in the first season we were meant to think that Eleven’s use of her psychic power to make accidental contact with the Demogorgon was what triggered the inter-dimensional travel.

So what happens next, and what that means for the ‘lore’ of the show is anyone’s guess. 

Yeah pretty sure that will turn out not to be the case. They made too much of a fuss of reminding us that it's basically all Eleven's fault, several times, in this season. So I'm sure it will turn out that it isn't. 

Spoiler

The Upside Down seems like it was a blank slate when Vecna was banished there. I reckon:

His presence and psychic link shaped it in to a sinister mirror of the real world, one that kept pace with real time.

Eleven’s breach later pinned the Upside Down, halting the passage of time there at the moment the two worlds were linked.

Perhaps this is a problem for that world, and/or ours 

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

The Upside Down seems like it was a blank slate when Vecna was banished there. I reckon:

His presence and psychic link shaped it in to a sinister mirror of the real world, one that kept pace with real time.

Eleven’s breach later pinned the Upside Down, halting the passage of time there at the moment the two worlds were linked.

Not sure I follow. 

Spoiler

Didn’t the breach occur when 001 was banished there/ Vecna was created? So the two things happen contemporaneously. That’s consistent with the time the upside down is locked to right?

I’m thinking not a lot of time passes between the breach/banishing of 001 and El’s escape from the facility. 

Have we been told why/how Eleven’s memory isn’t what it should be? Seems pretty convenient. Still, not

complaining. It’s been a great first half of the Season. 

Spoiler

I assumed she opened the season 1 breach much later, when she was the only remaining subject of the program but the research was still going. It would make more sense for it to be the same event as Vecna’s banishment though.

I thought that 001 would change her memory but I guess they’re going to do the tired repressed memory thing 

Watched it all again. My favourite season comfortably. 

I think the main problems are over exposition. I think someone with the skills should totally cut/rejig a few of the episodes.

I totally understand why directors feel the need to bloat them out, to help those who me not follow along with razor concentration, but it is getting like UI and design in video games. Not wanting anything missed. 

But I don't feel like it is particularly hard to follow anyway so what's the need? 

At least the episodes have tonnes of background details and other bits that warrant multiple views. 

6 hours ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Going to be very disappointed if the origin of that world (as it's shown) is some psychic berk with anger issues. Much prefer it to have been a shadow world that had been shaped by something incomprehensible thousands of years ago, for a purpose we'd never discover.

The blank slate doesn't undermine Dustin's theory about it existing for millions of years but it would be far more sinister if the Upside Down had been around for that long and had actively been watching what our world was doing.

4 hours ago, Alex W. said:
  Hide contents

I assumed she opened the season 1 breach much later, when she was the only remaining subject of the program but the research was still going. It would make more sense for it to be the same event as Vecna’s banishment though.

I thought that 001 would change her memory but I guess they’re going to do the tired repressed memory thing 

Pretty sure it happened at the same time. I seem to remember the breach in S1 was in the same place. 

I loved season three and having now watched the first new ep/chapter, feel hyped at what’s to come in four.

Think the first ep had a lovely balance of humour, angst and terror; the last few minutes is genuinely unsettling while also feeling like a homage to 80s horrors.

Spoiler

Kind of gutted Eddie and Chrissy’s interactions were brief. Brutal death though. JESUS BONESCRACK!

Really like this season so far. Watching this after a few Disney+ shows is a striking difference. The budget for this thing must be enormous given that it's shot on multiple locations and each episode is well over an hour. The ending of E4 was epic. Its blend of darker and more light-hearted scenes just works really well. There was maybe a bit too much of Eleven being bullied for my liking and some characters were a bit too OTT (Argyle for example) but I loved pretty much everything else. Dustin and Steve interacting are the best things about this show. Easily the best characters for me, though Robin is great as well.

On 05/06/2022 at 21:47, FishyFish said:

I’m not sure that Michael Jackson’s absence in the background world building is necessarily a big deal. There are probably a whole bunch of other cultural touch points that are absent too. And given the season 2 trailer, it’s not like MJ is somehow forbidden.

God, Thriller is such a great song.

Finished Episode 7 and really enjoyed this season, the amount of nods to 70s/80s  horror/thriller movies  and some stuff lifted almost verbatim  is quite well incorporated  IMO, I was talking to a workmate about it and realised  one or two others  references I hadn't picked up during the actual episodes.

Looking forward to part 2.

10 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Dustin and Steve interacting are the best things about this show. Easily the best characters for me, though Robin is great as well.

Dustin and Steve are great... Robin and Steve are great... Eddie and Steve are good too...

So, Steve Harrington rules basically.

On 05/06/2022 at 21:47, FishyFish said:

That’s an all-time great trailer, so so good.

Ep 2 done tonight. Felt a slightly slower pace than the opener but still hugely enjoyable. Was worried the schtick might have become stale but the show feels fresher than ever, largely thanks to such a joyous cast. Glad to have such glorious escapism back.

12 hours ago, jonamok said:

What? I love Murray!

Yeah, he's a bit OTT but on the right side of it, unlike Argyle for me. The only character I found annoying in this.

Also, can we have a moment of respect for the

Spoiler

cop who singlehandedly killed four or five military invaders in an excellent one take

Further proof that this series juggles multiple genres without breaking a sweat. That was a great action scene.