Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

You don't 'fight back' against an earthquake. Unless you've already been in it and suffered a narrative-mangling head injury. You might band together or stay strong, but fight back?

It's not super nit-picky to assume

Spoiler

they'd have the uncle act in a way that a human might, such as having the most rudimentary questions about his missing, now dead, nephew's unusually-worded fate.

To be fair though, that's a small crime in the litany on screen this season,

He doesn't say "fought back".

Spoiler

Dustin says "Fought and died to protect this town..." which is far more acceptable wording given how its meant to be taken by Eddie's uncle. Given there is a lot more Dustin says about how Eddie did that even though the town hated him it doesn't seem like a problem at all for Eddie's uncle to react how he does in that moment where he is only just finding out Eddie is actually dead.

Perhaps in the days to follow he will ponder those questions that he may actually be left with. One to look out for in the final season maybe 🤭

17 hours ago, memories said:

Did the Dustin actor injure himself in real life or something?

If not what the hell was the point in the limp.

Huh?

Spoiler

He hurt himself trying to get to Eddie.

15 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Huh?

Hide contents

He hurt himself trying to get to Eddie.

Yeah I know that when he went through the opening but it was a totally pointless thing to add in as a bit of writing and added nothing to anything and just made him look a bam.

Hence I'm wondering if he had a real life injury that the writers had to work around.

16 hours ago, schmojo said:

You don't 'fight back' against an earthquake. Unless you've already been in it and suffered a narrative-mangling head injury. You might band together or stay strong, but fight back?

It's not super nit-picky to assume

Reveal hidden contents

they'd have the uncle act in a way that a human might, such as having the most rudimentary questions about his missing, now dead, nephew's unusually-worded fate.

To be fair though, that's a small crime in the litany on screen this season,

Nothing in that conversation seemed out of place to me in the context of a series about children fighting an interdimensional psychic threat, tbh. The whole thing is 'Hollywood' - every exchange is unrealistic.

But even that aside, the narrative of "he fought back", "they just need to fight harder", "they had the will to survive" etc is absolutely common place in modern discourse about natural disasters, global pandemics and other things which you literally cannot fight against.

It's a really weird nit-picky criticism against a piece of entertainment that is wildly entertaining but consistently falls down under much scrutiny at all (like the Goonies).

12 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Nothing in that conversation seemed out of place to me in the context of a series about children fighting an interdimensional psychic threat, tbh. The whole thing is 'Hollywood' - every exchange is unrealistic.

But even that aside, the narrative of "he fought back", "they just need to fight harder", "they had the will to survive" etc is absolutely common place in modern discourse about natural disasters, global pandemics and other things which you literally cannot fight against.

It's a really weird nit-picky criticism against a piece of entertainment that is wildly entertaining but consistently falls down under much scrutiny at all (like the Goonies).

Oh absolutely, it's a very small character inconsistency and shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone who didn't mind the larger problems the show had. Within the sci-fi context, you can justify any amount of dodgy writing, should you want to.

It's more just that nary a scene went by without some kind of misstep for me, and as an overall piece it was just a dull, expensive mess.

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

Fuck! I hit pos before I got to you suggesting there is any kind of failing in The Goonies. Consider it retracted 😠

6 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Fuck! I hit pos before I got to you suggesting there is any kind of failing in The Goonies. Consider it retracted 😠

It's one of my favourite movies of all time, but I actually misremembered the glaring plot hole I thought was a glaring plothole. I just rewatched the scene and I retract my comment.

Just now, Pelekophoros said:

It's one of my favourite movies of all time, but I actually misremembered the glaring plot hole I thought was a glaring plothole. I just rewatched the scene and I retract my comment.

Pos re-instated!

20 hours ago, memories said:

Did the Dustin actor injure himself in real life or something?

If not what the hell was the point in the limp.

Eddie cut the bed-sheet rope to ensure that Dustin would not follow him, as Eddie basically knew that it was not likely he'd survived, and he was doing it to save his friends, and the world in general. 
Dustin didn't want to abandon him, so with his own determination, he followed him without the safety-nets of the rope and the mattress. He fell from the ceiling to the floor and it totally makes sense that he would some how hurt himself. It shows how determined he is to save Eddie from self-sacrific. 
If he didn't hurt himself you'd probably have to same bores asking weird questions like why didn't he hurt himself? Why would you need the mattress if you can cross over without penalty?

I still can not believe that people actually watch tv and movies like this. 

Yeah, the super-analysing here from some is absolutely fucking hilarious. It really does amaze me that some people need everything explained in explicit detail. 

Imagination, motherfuckers. Look it up. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, the super-analysing here from some is absolutely fucking hilarious. It really does amaze me that some people need everything explained in explicit detail. 

Imagination, motherfuckers. Look it up. :rolleyes:

When you've got an unlimited VFX budget and nearly four and a half hours of dry, predictable, meandering tedium for two episodes, making your audience imagine a good story in their heads is a little lazy.

But I suppose, if your imagination's good enough, you could be imagining a show that's way better than this slog. And they should probably hire you for the next season.

Just now, schmojo said:

When you've got an unlimited VFX budget and nearly four and a half hours of dry, predictable, meandering tedium for two episodes, making your audience imagine a good story in their heads is a little lazy.

But I suppose, if your imagination's good enough, you could be imagining a show that's way better than this slog. And they should probably hire you for the next season.

Lol, petulant much? :lol: 

The first of the two new episodes was fantastic, I thought. I just wasn't keen on how it all ended in the final episode, but I will concede it did get a bit "Return of the King" toward the end. 

When someone's wanting that much of your time, you don't expect it to end exactly where it started with zero progression of consequence.

But I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's probably had enough of my time though, I don't think I'm the target audience at this point.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Eddie cut the bed-sheet rope to ensure that Dustin would not follow him, as Eddie basically knew that it was not likely he'd survived, and he was doing it to save his friends, and the world in general. 
Dustin didn't want to abandon him, so with his own determination, he followed him without the safety-nets of the rope and the mattress. He fell from the ceiling to the floor and it totally makes sense that he would some how hurt himself. It shows how determined he is to save Eddie from self-sacrific. 
If he didn't hurt himself you'd probably have to same bores asking weird questions like why didn't he hurt himself? Why would you need the mattress if you can cross over without penalty?

I still can not believe that people actually watch tv and movies like this. 

No shit Sherlock, all that was pretty obvious but they could have also shown all that with a broken arm.

I absolutely love this show though, the limping was just terrible.

36 minutes ago, memories said:

No shit Sherlock, all that was pretty obvious but they could have also shown all that with a broken arm.

I absolutely love this show though, the limping was just terrible.

My comment was actually less directed at yourself and more all the sequential posts in this thread. 

I can't say I'm personnally terribly upset by Dustin limping though :lol:

Aye I always switch my brain mostly off when trying to enjoy something like this, because what is the point analysing it to within an inch of its life? Nothing is perfect, and there are so many positives, to be pissed off about any one part of something is just not fun. If something hinders the experience like stuttering, or has a terrible audio mix or what have you fair enough. 

Friends ask me all the time how I enjoy games, working in the industry. I just don't think about work outside work, and I don't analyse things to the point of ruining it for myself. 

The only time I analyse things in entertainment thoroughly is when something is truly sensational. 

Take the water in GTA V back in 2013. That shit blew my mind! 

This is the same in terms of visuals and audio though. The acting ofcourse is brilliant but the audiovisual experience, and cinematography in Season 4 was nothing short of incredible. The shot when Nancy is talking to the police and the gang show up, is direction at a 10, and the chimes and synths for our ears at every beat. Chefs Kiss!!!!! 

Spoiler

The shot after max falls down in episode 4 and they are all hugging her, as the camera pans out to a silhouette with Running up that Hill somberly playing... Mixed with my Wife crying and me in pure awe. I wish the Duffers, and the team could watch the world's reaction to it. If that was shown in an American cinema the crowd would be up wooping crying and cheering. 

The Duffer Brothers have formed a production company called Upside Down. Amongst other things (an adaptation of Stephen King's The Talisman and a live action Death Note series), a live action Stranger Things spin-off and Stranger Things stage play will be produced.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2022/07/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-netflix-upside-down-pictures-deal-spinoff-series-stephen-daldry-stage-play-manga-death-note-the-talisman-1235058665/amp/

I thought it was pretty good, no more. I actually wish they’d focussed a bit more on the Russian escape plot, what there was of it was really good fun, at least until the monsters were introduced.

Vecna was terrifying until they went a bit overboard with the exposition. Monsters are always way more scary when they hold something back. 

On 06/07/2022 at 21:22, DualSense said:

wasn’t the point it was his leg that was hurt and he was still determined to help so it was about him fighting through the pain but it also slowed him down..a broken arm wouldn’t work in that context. 

23 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Also it means he can’t just hop on a bike and zoom over there. 

Exactly. Honestly I thought it was obvious why they had him hurt his leg. It's a movie trope that's been used for decades. Why are we all even having this conversation :lol: