Stranger Things IV. NETFLIX.

Stevie

Watched a S3 recap last week and was none the wiser. I'm really struggling to get excited about watching this, hopefully that changes when I start watching it. I think it's the general novelty of it that stood out initially, when the idea of a 80's style horror show with kids seemed novel and nostalgic. It's been done so much since though that it's no longer novel and if you take that away, I just don't think this show has much left.

So excited for this, just watched season 3 again for the third time, funny and exciting in equal measure, with brilliant memorable characters. Can’t believe it’s been three years since the last season, just praying it’s worth the wait.

Seen a couple of episodes now.

Started off great!  Triggering nostalgia for the era and the characters.  Then it became clear that they're dragging out the plot beats to within an inch of their lives!  I do wish they would bloody get on with it.

Really bodes well that was gripped me this episode was just good teen drama, and they introduced a new character that really works. 

I’m getting this in Dolby Vision even though I’m not on that plan which is nice.

Oh, big episode 1 spoiler:

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Man, they have really ramped up the horror element in this series. Big Carrie energy from episode 2.

Episode 1 spoiler.

Spoiler

I was thinking more Nightmare on Elm Street what with the flying against the roof and crazy nightmare bone breaks.

5 hours ago, Capwn said:

Watched a S3 recap last week and was none the wiser. I'm really struggling to get excited about watching this, hopefully that changes when I start watching it. I think it's the general novelty of it that stood out initially, when the idea of a 80's style horror show with kids seemed novel and nostalgic. It's been done so much since though that it's no longer novel and if you take that away, I just don't think this show has much left.

Yet another show that should have just done one season and left it at that. 

The story at this point is nonexistent, it’s just ‘yay the 80s’ unremembered nostalgia for a generation that didn’t exist back then, but damn it’s enjoyable and the end of ep1 really got my pulses going. 

I liked the new dungeon master guy, and the flashback scene with 11 was good, very Metal Gear Solid. 

Very strong Elm Street vibes throughout I thought, I liked it, will continue watching. 

Finished volume one just now. Enjoyed it for the most part, although it's probably too long.

One annoyance though - the final scene. Absolutely, totally unnecessary, shows a complete lack of faith in the audience. It's literally "you know the thing we've been showing you ALL EPISODE? The thing we've not been hinting at so much as just flat out saying? The thing that the previous scene made more obvious than necessary? Well, let us tell you again, only even more obvious, as though you had absolutely no comprehension skills at all."

It's the Netflix version of all those "the ending of [X] explained" articles that have been popping up all over the internet for people who apparently can't understand what "and they lived happily ever after" means at the end of a Disney film and I'm sick to the back fucking teeth of it. If you don't understand what has just been presented to you in the plainest possible way, maybe pay some fucking attention to what you're watching.

My daughter was off school sick on Friday, she's been ill all week. She's 14 and mad about Stranger Things so she wanted to watch it asap. We have watched all the previous seasons together, which I really enjoyed. Very good dad daughter bonding time ❤️

We watched the whole 7 episodes back to back, and I thought it was a superb addition to the series so far. My 48yr old arse didn't even complain. It was definitely more adult from the horror perspective than previous seasons but still on the teen side rather than the sadist side.

That final reveal was a bit on the obvious side but there are a lot of idiots to keep happy out there and some of them write the cheques. It was still bloody good.

@Scribblor Whilst it did elaborate quite a bit, there was parts I missed (or I am a total idiot and need to pay some fucking attention to what I am watching). 

Like:

Spoiler

The son being 001/Vecna. The spiders in the jars should have given it away but totally didn't even link it. 

I was even racking my brain at why it was that house, but assumed it was the previous residents. Maybe I focussed too much on that, and thought of Kreel as just some unlucky sucker. 

I was screaming at Emma and the TV, EL DONT REMOVE THE THING IN HIS NECK... HE IS 001! But the son... Holy moly, threw me through a loop. The surprise made me enjoy it even more probably! 

Those effects at the end though... Absolutely not needed and poor show in comparison to some of the other effects like the Demigorgon. The team working on that scene are beasts, looked sensational! 

Overall, the music cinematography and acting were bonkers good in many parts. 

Top marks go to Munson for actor of the season though!

I thought the

Spoiler

Tattoo zoom in

Was too obvious, after the previous montage, but I was also surprised by

Spoiler

Him being the son

I was the only one who didn't work it out, apparently

Spoiler

The spiders were a huge clue

Still loved every minute.

@DriveBy 

Spoiler

It only clicked when the son went into the vent. Earlier on when Steve finds them, I thought little of it. Feels daft in hindsight, but I was more focussed on the supernatural side of it I guess! 

I have a theory about:

Spoiler

Vecna not being in Season 1-3. 

The Mind Flayer kept him subdued knowing his power was too much to control/twist him to do it's bidding. So subduing him was it's only option. In Season 3 when it gets obliterated (or possibly trapped in our dimension (queue big terrifying dust thing trapped in Russia?) It allowed Vecna to wake up and take over the upside down. 

Now I could have totally missed something, but that is my two cents. 

Regardless bar the first few episodes I loved Season 4. From the episode where Max got the visions onwards it was belta, with the last episode possibly being the best episode of all seasons. 

10 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

@Scribblor Whilst it did elaborate quite a bit, there was parts I missed (or I am a total idiot and need to pay some fucking attention to what I am watching). 

Like:

Reveal hidden contents

The son being 001/Vecna. The spiders in the jars should have given it away but totally didn't even link it. 

I was even racking my brain at why it was that house, but assumed it was the previous residents. Maybe I focussed too much on that, and thought of Kreel as just some unlucky sucker. 

I was screaming at Emma and the TV, EL DONT REMOVE THE THING IN HIS NECK... HE IS 001! But the son... Holy moly, threw me through a loop. The surprise made me enjoy it even more probably! 

Those effects at the end though... Absolutely not needed and poor show in comparison to some of the other effects like the Demigorgon. The team working on that scene are beasts, looked sensational! 

No, that's not the bit I'm annoyed about. That's the stuff they spent the whole episode telling us. That's the bits you should have been (and were) paying fucking attention to.

Then, after they tell us that, there's what should have been the final scene where

Spoiler

El shoves him into the Upside Down

But then we get another scene just to really hammer it home, where it's shown so obviously that there's no chance of not understanding it (complete with sub par effects) and then we get the bit that really annoyed me, as @DriveBy identified:

9 hours ago, DriveBy said:

I thought the

Reveal hidden contents

Tattoo zoom in

Was too obvious

[I can't seem to delete spoilers on my phone, so please ignore these next two!]

Reveal hidden contents

Him being the son

Reveal hidden contents

The spiders were a huge clue

2 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Can someone explain to me how the hell the 

Hide contents

portal rope between worlds didn't move when they put their weight on it?

I didnt get that either.

Spoiler

Makes sense being self-suspended as both sides has equal gravity in opposite directions. But put a person on one end and you should need a counterweight on the other?

I've never been the biggest fan of the show, it's been passable entertainment. This season is by far the best, some glorious moments.

But holy fuck so much filler. Scenes that drag. Scenes that treat the audience as if they're a barrel of fuckwits. There is no reason for each episode being 60-90 minutes long right now. You ramp this all down to 45 minutes an episode and it'd probably be a classic.

Some stunning horror and teen-drama mixed in with afternoon soap level tedium.

I've watched six of the seven available episodes so far. Overall this season has been really strong and the 4th episode is probably my single favourite of the entire series. 

For all its qualities  and high production values it does feel slightly padded out at times, the flow of some of the episodes is slow and often feels a bit too pedantic in making sure we know what's going on. 

With that said I can't wait for the finale episodes but it's slightly annoying that we know there will be another season so we're not closing in on the conclusion of the series just yet. By the time season 5 is out the main cast will all be grownups.