IGNORED

Sony State of Play - Today! 11pm BST (Livestream added to first post)

Sarlaccfood

Looking forward to that cat game. Rest was a big fat meh -  I've played Resi 4 too many times, even new graphics won't tempt me back.

I had high hopes for FFXVI but that was a bad first impression :(

7 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Looking forward to that cat game. Rest was a big fat meh -  I've played Resi 4 too many times, even new graphics won't tempt me back.

I had high hopes for FFXVI but that was a bad first impression :(

REm4ke is going to be a well different game. Ada and Ashley look like they're getting more bits to do.

8 minutes ago, Gambit said:

They've been saying it was going to be 30 minutes long all week guys...

They used to do 60-90 min shows where they’d show games that would either never get released or which would be, but in 3 years and be rubbish. This just wasn’t up to scratch I’m afraid. 

Surely the highlight was the guy who wrote the Horizon games telling us they’d had yet another crack at sorting out the shimmering graphics in Forbidden West. Our E3 cup runneth over.

We will have more details to share about both Marvel’s Spider-Man PC games as we approach their respective launches. For now, we can reveal that Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered will launch on PC on August 12, 2022 while Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales will launch on PC in Fall 2022.

Weird, the trailer in the show made it seem like it was just the first game getting a PC release. 

Good news though. 

8 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Who ever said it was to be that? This was PSVR2/3rd party focus. 

Are we still not used to Direct-style marketing?

Oh just because it's June which was traditionally E3 time. Is there a bigger event on the way?

Yeah, I know these Direct streams are how it's done these days but they feel like such "flash in the pan" affairs compared to the full conference experience.

I miss them is all. The build up and analysis, the glut of reveals and the moments of cringe. These pre-prepared streams just feel so sterile in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, there's been some nice stuff revealed and it's a perfectly serviceable 30 mins of promotion, I just find them a poor replacement for the full conferences.

It’s mad, considering the dearth of original games on PS5, and after this witnessing the output of games over the next year, that the ugliest most expensive console ever is consistently sold out.

Sony are doing something right, but I just don’t get it. 

1 minute ago, Robo_1 said:

Oh just because it's June which was traditionally E3 time. Is there a bigger event on the way?

Yeah, I know these Direct streams are how it's done these days but they feel like such "flash in the pan" affairs compared to the full conference experience.

I miss them is all. The build up and analysis, the glut of reveals and the moments of cringe. These pre-prepared streams just feel so sterile in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, there's been some nice stuff revealed and it's a perfectly serviceable 30 mins of promotion, I just find them a poor replacement for the full conferences.

I just find it all kinds of ludicrous that Sony mentions upfront they won’t focus on their own stuff and then people whine it’s not their “E3 presentation with their own stuff” while E3 doesn’t even exist this year. 🙃

5 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

It’s mad, considering the dearth of original games on PS5, and after this witnessing the output of games over the next year, that the ugliest most expensive console ever is consistently sold out.

I mean... The PS3 was more expensive, had absolutely garbage first party support and they managed to survive. 

Returnal, Ratchet, Miles Morales and a few other titles have it leagues above first party releases from its competitor, whilst the competitor offers better value. Some people just want the eco system they know and don't care about value, others prefer the first party stuff only, and then others love what value is on offer else where. 

Chip shortages have the system sold out everywhere, and that alone has increased demand. But to go on as if it is a moldy block of bread with no purpose is ludicrous. I got 700 hours out of it last year, and probably similar again this year. Ontop of PC, Xbox and Switch gaming.

Death of original games? I am sorry if God of War is not to your Nintendian tastes, but the millions it will sell day one say their first party ship is still sailing pretty strong. Even in a world that slowed down for a couple years (and likely more to come). 

19 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I just find it all kinds of ludicrous that Sony mentions upfront they won’t focus on their own stuff and then people whine it’s not their “E3 presentation with their own stuff” while E3 doesn’t even exist this year. 🙃

Honestly, I was only aware of the stream today or yesterday so didn't know anything about the criteria. As I say, all I'm going off is that it's traditionally E3 time and instead of a big conference we get a 30 min stream.

I'm not knocking what they did show, just miss the big live June showcase event.

Back to the actual stream though, I do wonder if the somewhat strange intro to SF6 is a clue to some sort of a Final Fight remake. There was a clear focus on Metro City and the scrolling parts certainly indicated that they have a good idea of how a reimagined Final Fight would look and function.

People forget that for the majority of its life E3's press conferences were exactly that: endless charts, brand partnership announcements, James Cameron talking about Avatar for six hours, etc. Hell, remember when Sony took the audacious step of presenting their charts in Little Big Planet? I feel like the modern conception of what constitutes an E3 conference is based on a somewhat fleeting golden period, within which the bad shows probably still outweigh the good.

Anyway, I thought this was a good showing. Nice mix of content, pretty much all of which I'm interested in; doubtful of the Persona wannabe and SF6 looks cool but fighting games aren't really my genre.

I maintain that Sony will likely have another SoP in the relatively near future, unless they're going to be a lot more generous during Summer Game Fest. GoW Ragnarok is almost certainly releasing this year, TLoU remake is probably early next but still hasn't been announced and we know they have more PC ports coming.

39 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

Chip shortages have the system sold out everywhere, and that alone has increased demand.

I can go on Amazon right now and buy a series x or switch for delivery tomorrow but not the ps5.

I don’t get it. It’s objectively the worst value of all the consoles, yet not available. Either their manufacturers are rubbish or they sell out in an instant. 

Thought that was a really tidy show. That Eterknights thing didn’t look like my cup of tea and I’ve realised by this stage of my life I’ll never like Street Fighter, but some really cool stuff in there. Stray and Rollerdrome looked awesome!

7 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

I can go on Amazon right now and buy a series x or switch for delivery tomorrow but not the ps5.

I don’t get it. It’s objectively the worst value of all the consoles, yet not available. Either their manufacturers are rubbish or they sell out in an instant. 

Xbox systems do come and go, but I think it would vary depending on country. PlayStation and Nintendo dominate in this country, and I imagine Tegra CPUs are pretty readily available having been around for a long time. 

But aye I do not disagree with the value proposition at all. I think Switch is in a similar boat in terms of cost value (I mean Nintendo games hold value like blooming Lego nearly) but they do have so many titles on the system. The first party library whilst lacking recently (imo (Kirby is great)) is still the best any console has ever had. I mean, BOTW, Odyssey, Animal Crossing, Splatoon, and more, plus so many amazing Wii U ports make it an absolute killer. 

Had I not been big into the PlayStation eco system thanks to a killer end of life PS3 and dominating PS4 life cycle I would have mained Xbox Series X this gen, but the Series is my backup machine. Even with all the gamepass goodness, it is hard to pull myself away from Trophies and Multiplayer on the PS5. 

And my friend who thinks if we have crossplay on we are going to get 360 no scoped in every lobby. 

3 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

“Value” is a subjective term though.

Someone can be offered 100’s of free games, but if they don’t want to play any of them it’s not really good value in their eyes is it?

6 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

So, Bloodborne on PC tomorrow then?

I didn't watch it, but I'm just assuming they announced the important announcement finally.

Bloodborne Super Karts is out for xmas.

Love the look of Season : A letter to the future. Rest unfortunately for me was a bit meh although Stray looks very pretty and something different I guess. Oh and StreetFighter 6 looks fantastic.

Wish they'd show some content for PSVR2 that doesn't involve wielding a weapon of some sort and killing things. The tech has so much potential. Where is the innovation in the experiences?

6 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Well if you ever watch football games their spend on brand placement must to astronomical! I think Sony are great at placing their brand where people will see it and more important hit the target audience.

5 hours ago, the_debaser said:

And... Not being available drives demand! It's a strange world we live in but seem to always want what they can't get.

Value is also a personal thing. What gives one person a great experience is different to someone else. For me I value the PS5 proposition. I love the controller and all the extra functionality on it and what it adds to experience. I am really looking forward to PSVR2. I have sank more time into GT7 this year than any other game on any system since the new consoles launched. (And hardly touched the online part of it!)

So personally PS5 is awesome value to me. To add I'm still not overly happy about the £70 RRP on first party titles but when you break it down on terms of the experience it seems palatable. Certainly got my money's worth out of GT7. Also Sony do seem to patch and update their games. Returnal had a big update, Horizon West now does and GT7 has regular drops and updates, both cars and tracks. More recently some extra cafe cards to get some more cars. 

6 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

Death of original games? I am sorry if God of War is not to your Nintendian tastes, but the millions it will sell day one say their first party ship is still sailing pretty strong. Even in a world that slowed down for a couple years (and likely more to come). 

God Of War on PS4 completely blew me away TBH. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much. Initially thought it would be just another hack and slash violent game. It is to a degree. However it's set in a beautiful crafted world, the story whilst not hugely deep is engaging. And just the scale of the everything. The crazy and edge of the seat battles exploring new areas of the world as the game gradually unfolds. 

I typically love Nintendo games. I finished God Of War. I played and started Zelda on the Switch three times and tried to love it and ended up selling it all (Switch included). Lots I just didn't like about the new direction but that is a discussion for another thread.

Needless to say excited to see what the next God Of War brings us and how the PS5 controller will add to the experience.