IGNORED

Bioshock collection FREE (PC)

MattyP

Had a quick go on Bioshock again last night. Its been some years since I played this (Xbox 360 version) but wow it hasn't aged a bit. It drew me right back in again. As mentioned many times Rapture is the showpiece of this game - very atmospheric - the feeling it gives when you explore and uncover things is very edgy and twisted in similar ways to a Silent Hill game. Yet we have friendly voice guiding us around to ease the tension whilst slowly unravelling the story of what went wrong in this once utopian world. A bit of shooty thrown in for good measure too. Lovely game.  

For those that haven't yet grabbed this worthwhile. The Bioshock version on offer here is the remastered version so has some extras in like directors commentary (which in true game style you have to unlock!) and museum etc.

I haven't played Bioshock since release so might have to have a look at it again at some point. Never played the sequel either.

Infinite sucked big donkey balls.

24 minutes ago, Benny said:

I haven't played Bioshock since release so might have to have a look at it again at some point. Never played the sequel either.

Infinite sucked big donkey balls.

I think the opening sections of Infinite were more than worth it. Columbia is a lovely, lovely creation.

pity about all the shooting and mayhem but there we go.

I jumped straight from 1 to Infinite. I thought that they were both decent and had some imaginative environments, but in hindsight Infinite’s design was pretty dumbed-down (every stage is a hallway, the two-weapon limit didn’t complement the weapon upgrade system, no respec option if you find yourself in the finale and you haven’t improved your shields… okay that one was just me.)

I’ve always been curious about - I know it’s the least popular but the focus on traps and ambushes sounds interesting.

I loved 2 but those who haven't should play the Bioshock 2 offshoot Minerva's Den which is like a mini Bioshock episode. The design of some parts of Minerva's den led to a few of the developers creating Fullbright and going on to make Gone Home.

I replayed both 1 and 2 on the Switch recently and was very surprised to find myself enjoying 2 much more than I remembered. 1 has the most memorable moments, but 2 is a better game imo. Minerva's Den is well worth playing too as @Unofficial Whosays.

I started Infinite again after finishing 2 but lost interest after a couple of hours, I think I was just worn out after 1 and 2 back to back. Should really go back to it, didn't hate it on my initial playthrough but the world (while nice) just isn't as good as Rapture, although little is.

Infinite also has the feel of a rescued project, has a cowardly approach to politics that's very "both sides" and tries to fix that later (making it even worse.)

It also has DLC which at best felt like fan fiction.

Despite that it's worth playing, some of the sci-fi plot beats are great and there's some amazing set pieces in it too. But as a game it's not near as good as the previous two.

I always meant to get around to playing 2, so this is ideal. Thanks @MattyP

I loved the first game, but my main problem with it on my first play was that I saved up all the cool kit for later, and then never got around to using it (same problem with many games). Replaying it was much better gameplay-wise because I knew what was coming, so could set up traps, and really let rip with the ammo. I remember people saying the 2nd was largely designed for that, so hopefully I can give it a bit of time. I am tempted to give the first one another play though - even if just through the glorious intro.

I loved Infinite FWIW and at the time of release that was definitely the consensus. Its only in retrospect the game seems to have been savaged.

It’s still beautiful (I maintain Columbia is a more evocative setting than Rapture) and the first time through the sense of playfulness in the convoluted nature of the set up rising to that conclusion is brilliant.

Subsequent play throughs do make you see the moving parts a little and I still haven’t quite forgiven them for what they did to Elizabeth at the end of the DLC (although the lead up to to it is all good and as a package the two DLCs together almost represent a Bioshock 4) but it’s still a game I remember fondly and will definitely play again at some point.

I’ve bounced off Bioshock 2 on several occasions despite loving the other two; found the combat loop obtuse and the plot a whole lot of nothing compared to the main two games. It’s very much a side story.

Maybe I’ll feel differently if I do a series run through (which I’ve been meaning to do for about 2 years since I bought the collection…).

I never really got on with Bioshock… bounced off it a couple of times. I really should try this remastered version though and see what I’ve been missing out on.

11 hours ago, PikaStu said:

I never really got on with Bioshock… bounced off it a couple of times. I really should try this remastered version though and see what I’ve been missing out on.

It's one of those games that slowly draws you into its world and tells a story as you play through. Definitely worth trying again and well you just need a bit of time really! :)

Start with Bioshock though best one in the series IMHO. Infinite is my next favourite again the world makes it an interesting place to play in and again the story is interesting... 

Bioshock 2 has incredible gameplay and sandbox style levels, and the first game has incredible story and atmosphere. 2 held up by far the best in a recent playthrough.

Infinite falls apart in a matter of hours, but what an amazing first impression. The gameplay has aged terribly but it's still beautiful. Overall an absolute mess.

(Minerva's Den is the best of course)

Infinite had a great intro but as others have mentioned it has some really, really dodgy politics at the heart of it.

The kind of thing that could have only come from an American studio.