IGNORED

Current gen console ownership poll – 2022

Qazimod

Current gen console ownership poll – 2022  

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have all three. I regret upgrading to series x. Mainly because it’s currently connected to a 1080p display and, now the kid has moved onto pc gaming, it never gets used. 

2. Which current-gen home consoles do you currently own (or have owned)?

None - 12

3. Which current-gen home consoles do you plan to own (or will have owned) 12 months from now?

None - 31

Isn't it contradictory to have more "None" responses on Q3 than on Q2? It's saying that 12 people have so far never owned a current-gen console; but 31 people expect that in 12 months' time, they'll have never owned a current-gen console!

If Q3 was just "Which current-gen home consoles do you plan to own 12 months from now?", that would be OK, as it would suggest that lots of people who currently own a current-gen console expect to get rid of them within the next year.

But because the phrase "(or will have owned)" is included in the question, it should be impossible for "None" in Q3 to be more than "None" in Q2! :omg:

(Edit: same thing happened in the 2015 results: Q3 somehow had more Nones than in Q2.)

I've settled into a Nintendo + 1 pattern, generally a Sony Console. 360 is the only Xbox that I've owned, and I think I might go for a Series X later on.

I’ve gone all-in on consoles this generation, for the first time. Last gen I only had a PS4 and didn’t really play it much due to small family. 

This gen I’ve had a bit more disposable income so I have managed to get hold of a PS5, Series X and Switch, plus a Series S on my WFH monitor. Way more than I actually need, especially as they are all largely just used to play Fortnite on. Apart from that, the PS5 is mostly being used to catch up on back-compat titles, the Xbox is Game Pass and Lego Star Wars. I’m hoping for some more Xbox exclusives soon, the X always seems like its power isn’t being fully used. I will probably get any multi-format game on Xbox though and keep the PS5 for exclusives. 

I certainly don’t plan on selling any of them, although we might upgrade the Switch for an OLED at some point. 

I haven’t had a gaming PC since the Pentium II days, the Steam Deck does look quite tempting though. 

Gamepass makes the Xbox series a perfect console for me and my usage of dipping in and out of games with v little time. I have a switch for my son and for the odd nintendo exclusive.

I will buy a ps5 shortly as I'll need one for PSVR2 (assumign there are som cracking exclusives for it that prevent me going for Quest2/3)

I think I'll be sticking with a Switch and PC. I don't think there's been an Xbox Series game that hasn't had a simultaneous PC release, and I've yet to see a PS5 exclusive I really want. I'd hope to see the God of War sequel show up on PC at some point, seeing as the first game did, and I'd be happy to wait.

Even if a generation defining exclusive did eventually show up on PS5, it's not like I don't already have enough to play for a long time at this point, and that's not even counting Game Pass.

My results would skew the results with those options really because I'm not going to buy an MS console as I also have a gaming pc and am planning on upgrading that rather than getting a series console. 

Arguably I have "all" of them now that the xbox doesn't really have exclusives anymore. I used to buy all of them and have a PC (even though I had a fairly weak PC during 360 era so I wasn't playing many big hits on PC) so I wasn't sure what to pick.

I like games and I want to play all the games on whatever they come out on. 

Apart from anything that has been on the oculus like half life alyx and re4 VR because fuck mark Zuckerberg and the horse he rode in on. But I'll play them if they come out on psvr 2.

Last gen - going by the options in the poll - I had an Xbox One and that was it. Rock Band 4 made the decision as to which to get first, and then never really feeling I needed a PS4 or Wii U made the rest of the decision. The PS4 was always a case of "I'll get around to it eventually", and that eventuality never came.

This generation, I have a Series S and a Switch - the Xbox because it was well priced and I wouldn't get benefits of an X, and the Switch because of course I want a Switch, even though I rarely play it at the moment. The PS5 remains a case of "I'll get around to it eventually".

In my younger days I'd have had the lot, but I don't have the luxury of time.

The original intention this gen was to upgrade my PC and have no console. But then the sillyness happened with pricing and availability of GPUs so luckily got an opportunity to get a Series X shortly after release thanks to a forumite here!

Stayed with this for 4 or months then decided my PC would *do* and the Series X offered little more than a slight visual improvement over the PC - and perhaps slightly faster load time and quick resume. But I couldn't really justify it and well needed my PC any so it went.

Then got a PS5 because it felt like something new that I hadn't experienced before - the DualSense pad etc. It was and I've not looked back! Playing through Astro was great and demonstrated potential really well. OK some games have been a bit lacklustre (Ratchet And Clank) - great visuals and love the DS integration etc. But then we've had Returnal and more recently for me Gran Turismo 7. Its a really nice console and I can't wait for PSVR2 etc. Exciting times.

I also owned a Switch for a while. Played all the first party content. Loved Mario, didn't get on with the new Zelda. Loved the LABS stuff and building things. Played MK8 a bit and ultimately got a bit bored of it as not much new first party content was coming through. Still no new mainline Mario etc. Don't really play on the go so the screen etc was wasted on me. Hated the joycons - functional but not great IMHO. Just felt a bit old school and underpowered. Which is fine for the games running on it. Love Nintendo kit and games but it felt a bit like a souped up mobile phone TBH. Well designed though.

Other than a small handful of occasions where I’ve lost interest for a couple of months at a time, video games have been my passion in life since first picking up a Master System thirty some years ago. Being old enough at the time to be buying stuff myself and going in hard at the beginning got me into the import scene early on and since then I’ve had all the main consoles during their lifetimes. 

I learned early on that there’s always something on every machine that I’ll want to play. So I just buy each console as it comes out. It doesn’t bother me that each console can sometimes go months and months without being used (I’ve not used my PS5 since maybe December) as I know that at some point it’ll be their turn. 

I don’t drink, I don’t eat out often, I don’t drive a fancy car and I don’t wear fancy clothes. Having access to all the consoles each generation brings me a lot of happiness and I’m therefore content with my life choices. 

Edit - Ignore my comment about not using the PS5 since December. I completely forgot about Elden Ring!

Truly no poll has ever reflected so firmly just how out of touch the forum is with mainstream tastes than the fact that more than half of respondents own(ed) a Wii U. I mean, crikey.

9 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Truly no poll has ever reflected so firmly just how out of touch the forum is with mainstream tastes than the fact that more than half of respondents own(ed) a Wii U. I mean, crikey.

I don’t know, we talk about all the mainstream stuff too - like Elden Ring ;)

2 hours ago, Wiper said:

Gotta play Bayo 2 somehow.

(I skipped the Wiis and don't have a Switch yet, so I still have Bayo(s) on my bucket list. And Tokyo Mirage Sessions!)

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

But it hosted splatoon, which was one of the greatest online games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

6 minutes ago, marsh said:

But it hosted splatoon, which was one of the greatest online games I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

applause.gif

The Switch came out over five years ago, no way is that a current gen console. 

Just PS5 for me. Still play my Switch but it’s basically just a handheld now. 

1 hour ago, Radish said:

I wanted to put a "generations are daft" option in my poll.

But really: it's the direct competitor to the other platforms right now. It's still being supported with new games. It's still relevant - you could say that it's "current". And it didn't feature in the equivalent poll in 2015 (because the Wii U represented that generation's entry) - and if I did shoehorn it into the first poll question (previous-gen ownership) I'd get a pitchfork mob arguing that it doesn't belong there.

Also, generations are daft. And I half-expected this thread to bomb so I didn't mind making some questionable classification.

7 hours ago, Radish said:

Just PS5 for me. Still play my Switch but it’s basically just a handheld now. 

Someone should inform Microsoft and Sony, whose consoles are being outsold by it still. 

PS5 is only happening in this house after a redesign. Aside from being as ugly as sin I don't think I could safely keep the current model in our TV cabinet, even with the back removed for ventilation. The XSX is a stretch as-is.

I have a Switch but struggle to find things I want to play on it. Most cross platform stuff is cheaper on PS4 and most of the decent first party games are just WiiU ports which I already have in the original format.

There's nothing to make me want a new Xbox or PS5 yet, even if I could get my hands on one.

Last gen, I was WiiU at launch (actually, as an impulse purchased it less than a week prior to launch). 

I was at launch for PS4 too, but sold it within the month as I wasn't using it, and nothing was that close on the horizon (Drive Club...)

Later in the generation, I picked up a One S and a slim PS4 (I think the slim was a bit after slim launch as it was caught up in the GAME £150 Ps4 debacle where they took the money and didn't dispatch and a bunch of us ended up complaining and getting slims - similarly the One S was a budget purchase with 4 or 5 games.  I treated both as budget consoles, barely ever spending more than £20 on a game.

This gen, I went all in.

Switch, Series X, PS5 (and OLED Switch) all at launch.

The Switch is the best by far, though I play the PS5 the most (due to GT7 being my most played game).

Time constraints cut in too.

On paper, the Series X really should be better than the PS5, especially with Game Pass and their last get upgrade stuff, but mine just sits in my AV unit looking like a super sexy urinal console and barely gets turned on, whilst the ugly monstrosity from Sony sees all the action. 

Exclusives wise, which is the reason we should by consoles really, Sony's exclusives appeal to me much more than Microsofts, but I've always been all about Nintendo.

Time limitations (and me not being a massive fan of shooters - the Microsoft speciality) dictate I probably should be Switch + PS5, and that translates to the games I want to play the most (Nintendo) plus sim racing with Gran Turismo.

I looked at going PC this gen, but couldn't justify Nintendo + PC cost + Sony

PS5 is my main console as in it’s downstairs on the nice TV and where I’ll veg out for longer sessions on the sofa. Love it as a machine, and think the Dualsense is one of my favourite pads/controllers.

Bought an X primarily because of Gamepass, which has more than delivered. Stuck it in my home office, perfect for a quick post-work play or daft meetings with 100-odd people where I don’t have to be on camera…

Given Returnal is apparently coming to Steam soon that's one less possible game on the three minimum for a new console rule for me. Just need to get Demons Souls...

I actually broke my rule with the Xbox 1 X and it's the only one I somewhat regret purchasing.

Couldn't give a fuck about PC, Nintendo or Xbox to the degree that 95% of threads about them get hidden. Great feature.

I have a PS5, and even though I have never been one for buying many games and mostly just play one (along with the PS+ freebies 90% of which I don't even touch) I don't have time to really get through everything I want to. No idea how people get by with multiple formats, do you just play games for like an hour and move on? Doesn't sound fun.

1 hour ago, Haribokart said:

Couldn't give a fuck about PC, Nintendo or Xbox to the degree that 95% of threads about them get hidden. Great feature.

I have a PS5, and even though I have never been one for buying many games and mostly just play one (along with the PS+ freebies 90% of which I don't even touch) I don't have time to really get through everything I want to. No idea how people get by with multiple formats, do you just play games for like an hour and move on? Doesn't sound fun.

It's probably a big FOMO factor too, but otherwise I have no problem finishing games on all three platforms. I'm a busy dad nowadays so only have time to game in the evening. Usually have I two games on the go, a shorter one and some epic RPG. I keep playing until I either finished or I'm done with it forever before moving to the next. I finish 20 to 30 games a year that way and I stick to the ones that really appeal to me across all platforms. If I'd have only one platform at some point I'd have to play games that are okay but not great to me. 

Currently I'm playing Sniper Elite 5 on XSX, Ys Memories of Celceta on PS5, and Mario 3D World on Switch with my boy.