IGNORED

Three Thousand Years Of Longing - George Miller

JohnC

https://deadline.com/video/three-thousand-years-of-longing-trailer-idris-elba-tilda-swinton-george-miller-cannes/

Tilda Swinton and Idris Elba star in this fantasy romantic drama from George Miller. Swinton is Dr. Alithea Binnie, a scholar who picks up an interesting object in Istanbul. Elba is a djinn who comes from that object and grants her three wishes.

This presents two problems. First, she doubts that he is real, and second, because she is a scholar of story and mythology, she knows all the cautionary tales of wishes gone wrong. The djinn pleads his case by telling her fantastical stories of his past. Eventually she is beguiled and makes a wish that surprises them both.

Certainly looks interesting

I’ve just been reading the oral history of the making of Fury Road and it really hammers home what a brilliant director George Miller is. I’d watch anything the man puts his name to at this point. 

Also I never knew he directed the weird Babe sequel, Pig in the City, which was supposed to have been terrifying for kids. I watched it the other week and it really shows the importance of the director to an actor’s performance. The way he frames certain scenes with the camera imbues them with such poignance that it feels like the animals are giving performances on par with any Hollywood a-lister! The voice work is obviously doing a lot, but the context the visual provides just makes the whole thing sing.