What is your favorite game?

Nipe

Hitman-3-screenshots-2.jpg

Hitman 3 (which is a slight cheat because it allows Hitman 1 and 2 levels to be imported and ideally that's how you want to play it).

Just the biggest and best puzzle game ever, with countless ways to approach every situation and a mind-boggling array of things to do, see and unlock. They could keep releasing levels for this forever and I'd happily buy every single one of them.

Additionally, my son's headmaster looks exactly like Agent 47 which makes parents' evenings especially thrilling.

I could probably pick loads of better games that probably mean more to me, but the only game I ever replay regularly is Quake II so it must be that. 

7 hours ago, SuperFamiTom said:

If I could only play one game for the rest of my life…

28C24ADB-5AE1-47A9-BD20-1B6B6E9AAFC0.png

When I worked at Rockstar North, I asked a few of the game designers what their favourite games of all time were. I was expecting them to give all sorts of answers and long spiels, but they pretty much all just said Tetris.

One pretty succinctly summed it up as, you can't play it for 5 minutes without ending up playing it for an hour, and there is nothing that can be added to it that would make it a better game.

2 minutes ago, MansizeRooster said:

and there is nothing that can be added to it that would make it a better game.

That’s exactly my feeling about it. There are games out there with bigger scope, better graphics and sound and much more variety. But Tetris on the Game Boy is distilled perfection. It’s everything it needs to be. Nothing less and nothing more. I genuinely don’t think there’ll ever be a more perfect video game. 

18 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

've been mulling this over whilst walking around Aldi

The important thing we need to know isn't what the hell you're thinking making middlecore, sub-Ubisoft dreck* your GOAT but what you bought from the middle aisle? It's not a successful Aldi trip unless you went in for essentials and came out with essentials, an angle grinder and a trampoline.

*I'm kidding. Kind of.

1 hour ago, MansizeRooster said:

Also, favourite game:

jBpCL5GA9Ptnu3TWmkV2KS.jpg

Yup.

i mean the mechanics in the second are definitely better. But I remember posting in the thread when I finished TLoU that I thought I had just completed the greatest video game ever made and nothing has come out since to make me think that again. 

59 minutes ago, SuperFamiTom said:

That’s exactly my feeling about it. There are games out there with bigger scope, better graphics and sound and much more variety. But Tetris on the Game Boy is distilled perfection. It’s everything it needs to be. Nothing less and nothing more. I genuinely don’t think there’ll ever be a more perfect video game. 

I'd run with Robotron for most perfect game, because it's so VERY full-on video game. Tetris is brilliant obviously, but it's kinda restrained, whereas Robotron is all lights and noise, and right up in your grill, and asking you to step outside, which feels more quintessentially game-y to me.

But my favourite is probably Paradroid still. I loved it back in the day, and I still love it now, despite understanding it's got a fair few fundamental flaws. But I love the mix of metallic graphics with abstract representations of the droids, and the audio is so very video-gamey it almost hurts. And much of the game works a treat - there are just some rough edges that need filing off (and maybe a bit of depth adding).  As an indie dev myself, I will remake this one day and fix the bad bits (unless someone gets there first).

__R.gif.7a71cc9884afc89412a8c28fdb4dc358.gif

12 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I'd run with Robotron for most perfect game, because it's so VERY full-on video game. Tetris is brilliant obviously, but it's kinda restrained, whereas Robotron is all lights and noise, and right up in your grill, and asking you to step outside, which feels more quintessentially game-y to me.

But my favourite is probably Paradroid still. I loved it back in the day, and I still love it now, despite understanding it's got a fair few fundamental flaws. But I love the mix of metallic graphics with abstract representations of the droids, and the audio is so very video-gamey it almost hurts. And much of the game works a treat - there are just some rough edges that need filing off (and maybe a bit of depth adding).  As an indie dev myself, I will remake this one day and fix the bad bits (unless someone gets there first).

__R.gif.7a71cc9884afc89412a8c28fdb4dc358.gif

I prefer paradroid 90 over paradroid , but yeah, great game .