She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August

Complaining that they use too much CGI because they treat their VFX contractors like shit seems really ass backwards. How about they use whatever CGI they want to tell their stories and treat staff right? Using less VFX isn't going to make these people's lives any easier. They'll just be working as hard as before but have less work to pay the bills.

18 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Firstly

Hide contents

Woo Wolverine!

But also

Hide contents

Why IS there a statue of a man sticking out of the ocean??

Is the last one a joke? Think, very, very, dull movie.

The series is taking a lot of inspiration from a recent Dan Slott run of She-Hulk that I'm currently reading with the 4th wall stuff coming from John Byrne's (And others) Sensational She Hulk from the 80s where they don't break the 4th wall so much as not bother having one in the first place. I did a Squee when Pug showed up.

And I fucking love it. The series seems to be about Jen's journey to loving her She-Hulk side. Kinda the opposite of the direction of travel the comics tend to go in. (She absolutely loves being She-Hulk mostly in the comics)

Thunderbolts anyone?

I was disappointed with the first episode, because I didn't find it that funny, and it felt like an obligation to get the origin story and Hulk guest appearance and fight scene out of the way. Whereas what I really wanted was to find out what the lawyer sitcom side of the series would be like. Jessica Gao has said in interviews that most of the first episode was originally going to be later in the season (originally ep 4, then ep 8), and after I heard that, I wondered if I'd have preferred that structure.

I was even a bit unsure about the first episode's big popular running joke:

Spoiler

...at least during the main part of the episode. I find it hard to explain, but for some reason I was put off by a joke built around characters within the MCU having debates about the same sort of continuity details that IRL MCU fandom half-seriously speculates about. (Which I realise is a weird thing to complain about, given how much I liked the convention stuff in Ms Marvel and Rogers: The Musical in Hawkeye.)

Fortunately the mid-credits punchline was good (even if it was doing basically the same thing with the F word as the endings of two Spider-Man films!)

As for complaints about the CG: in the first episode, I found Banner's dubbed dialogue explaining what was going on when his face wasn't visible during the car crash scene a lot more distracting than any VFX shortcomings.

For me, the best first episodes of these D+ series have been Loki, Ms Marvel and Hawkeye; and my least favourites were What If (mostly because the animation took some time to get used to), Moon Knight and She-Hulk. That's just their first episodes - obviously my views on them changed as they went on.

So I felt like I had to wait until episode 2 to get more of an idea about what the rest of She-Hulk will be like. Fortunately I liked this ep a lot more - partly because more of the jokes landed, but also because we can get to see more of who Jennifer is as a character away from her established cousin, and we get more of the recurring supporting cast. (But I don't think the other characters have yet been anywhere near as vividly established as those of Ms Marvel; in that series, every character that Kamala already knew felt memorable and likeable within the first episode.)

I wonder would it have been possible to cast a really tall skinny extra/stuntperson in a female bodysuit and then CG the face than to try to render the whole character in CG? At least for big buff males body suits do a really excellent job these days.

As for episode 2's mid-credits scene, I can see what @Benny is criticising on a thematic level, but...

Spoiler

I found it delightful because I'm always fond of scenes where superheroes use their powers to do really mundane everyday stuff. :wub:

Like the bit in X-Men 2 where Iceman chills Logan's drink.

And the bit in the first issue of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl where she moves into college carrying a stack of heavy boxes. 

sqg1.jpg.e7560fe530f048eeaeb52eb3fa798551.jpg

And the bit in the Fraction/Aja Hawkeye where Clint calls on Tony Stark's tech genius skills to help him untangle his AV cables.

aja.thumb.jpg.be45b62e85e2752745a3723cced31b65.jpg

Age of Ultron also has the bit where Clint's wife asks Tony to help fix the tractor. But it turns out to be an excuse for a conversation with Nick Fury - to be honest, I always wished we'd got that tractor repair scene. :(

Can I just remind everyone Pug delivered her a basket and it included a map to the best toilet. 

I think Tim Roth was the best thing in this week's episode.  He was totally comfortable with the ridiculousness of the situation and really sold himself as Emil.

Wonder if we just met a possible Thunderbolt. 

So I feel completely done with Marvel. Didn't bother seeing the Eternals, taken three attempts to watch the Shangh-chi one and keep falling asleep. Couldn't be bothered to watch F&TWS, Ms Marvel, or Moonknight. Haven't bothered seeing Thor etc.

RRR, Top Gun, Bullet Train, and Everything Everywhere All at Once have sort of busted through a new sincere, post-Whedon, action cinema that I love. So I'm just done - I'm over it all.

But having 30 mins to kill last night, I watched the first episode of She Hulk, after listening to the star on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast (where she was brilliant), and I actually rather enjoyed it. I think a 30min sit-com, is a good space for marvel now. Ended up watching both, and I'm looking forward to the next ones. She's fantastic, it has a point of view, and it simple fun. It feels very BBC 2, 6pm weekdays circa 1995. And I mean that in a good way. Or maybe I just need a lawyer show to fill the BCS gap in my life.

Also, it's pretty hilarious the takes on the web towards this. So much disconnect between what the show is actually saying and the idiots interpretation. 

9 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

So I feel completely done with Marvel. Didn't bother seeing the Eternals, taken three attempts to watch the Shangh-chi one and keep falling asleep. Couldn't be bothered to watch F&TWS, Ms Marvel, or Moonknight. Haven't bothered seeing Thor etc.

RRR, Top Gun, Bullet Train, and Everything Everywhere All at Once have sort of busted through a new sincere, post-Whedon, action cinema that I love. So I'm just done - I'm over it all.

But having 30 mins to kill last night, I watched the first episode of She Hulk, after listening to the star on the Comedy Bang Bang podcast (where she was brilliant), and I actually rather enjoyed it. I think a 30min sit-com, is a good space for marvel now. Ended up watching both, and I'm looking forward to the next ones. She's fantastic, it has a point of view, and it simple fun. It feels very BBC 2, 6pm weekdays circa 1995. And I mean that in a good way. Or maybe I just need a lawyer show to fill the BCS gap in my life.

Also, it's pretty hilarious the takes on the web towards this. So much disconnect between what the show is actually saying and the idiots interpretation. 

I've been one of the biggest Phase 4 critics- but your post doesn't make any sense as a criticism of the current MCU. So you watched Endgame, then made a belated stab at Shang Chi and that's it?

1 minute ago, drmick said:

I've been one of the biggest Phase 4 critics- but your post doesn't make any sense as a criticism of the current MCU. So you watched Endgame, then made a belated stab at Shang Chi and that's it?

I was only listing the stuff I've drifted away from. I thought the new Spider man was decent, and same for Doctor Strange (but mainly for Raimi's directing).

I enjoyed Wandavision a lot, and Loki and Hawkeye were fun too. But the majority is just so predictable now. Like,  I've seen Blackwidow too, but the fact I forgot about it, says everything.

There's just so much now, and it doesn't deserve that much of my attention. But She-Hulk seems fun, and I should give Ms Marvel a go.

3 minutes ago, LaveDisco said:

I was only listing the stuff I've drifted away from. I thought the new Spider man was decent, and same for Doctor Strange (but mainly for Raimi's directing).

I enjoyed Wandavision a lot, and Loki and Hawkeye were fun too. But the majority is just so predictable now. Like,  I've seen Blackwidow too, but the fact I forgot about it, says everything.

There's just so much now, and it doesn't deserve that much of my attention. But She-Hulk seems fun, and I should give Ms Marvel a go.

That makes your earlier post even more illogical.....

It's more a reflection on your own motivation than it is of the shows:

I can't be arsed with any of this. But actually when I do it is mostly good.

?

29 minutes ago, drmick said:

That makes your earlier post even more illogical.....

It's more a reflection on your own motivation than it is of the shows:

I can't be arsed with any of this. But actually when I do it is mostly good.

?

Absolutely it's about my own motivation. Let me put it this way: there's only so many hours of middling, 3/5,  superhero movies I wanna watch per year, It's an easier sell with TV, but I'm burning out on this. Especially when some real 5/5 movies have started showing up. It's starting to feel like work to keep up with it. And it's not good enough to warrant it. But I'm not saying that there is no good stuff to find.

So yeah, I think I'm allowed to talk about being conflicted.

EDIT: But also, to not derail the thread further, all this was originally context to say, and so I am happily surprised to say how much I enjoyed She-Hulk.

I can see @LaveDisco's point. I've watched all of the films  and most of the tv stuff (first episode of Moon Knight was too boring even for me to want to continue, and I'm not interested in What If) - and I've found 90% of it pretty boring/middling/awful.

The positives have been F&TWS, Ms Marvel (though in fairness, whilst it was good as a slice-of-life family show, it was pretty rubbish as a superhero show) and She-Hulk has been really entertaining thus far. Of the films, I thought Thor was okay (though it all felt a bit pointless), Eternals I quite enjoyed, but everything else has been poor at best. As @LaveDisco says, other films have come along and I think stolen a bit of Marvel's cake; Everything Everywhere All At Once provided a far better - and interesting - multiverse; I'd say Top Gun actually does high-stakes and drama better than any Marvel output; Nobody had better fisticuffs and, hell, I'd say even Free Guy had more emotional heart.

I will continue to watch this stuff, because I do still like the interconnectivity (even if they feel they need to introduce or tease 200 new characters in every show/film) and it is cinema in particular done in an interesting way, but in isolation I think few of these films/tv shows would stand up if they didn't tie-in to the broader universe.

15 minutes ago, Gabe said:

IThe positives have been F&TWS, Ms Marvel (though in fairness, whilst it was good as a slice-of-life family show, it was pretty rubbish as a superhero show) and She-Hulk has been really entertaining thus far. Of the films, I thought Thor was okay (though it all felt a bit pointless), Eternals I quite enjoyed, but everything else has been poor at best.

They're obviously doing something right though as most people would put The Falcon & The Winter Soldier and Eternals at the bottom of any Phase 4 list.

Glad you enjoyed them! It just demonstrates that different people want different things from Marvel, and that Phase 4 (especially with the shows) has definitely been seen as an opportunity to diversify their output a bit.

8 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

They're obviously doing something right though as most people would put The Falcon & The Winter Soldier and Eternals at the bottom of any Phase 4 list.

Glad you enjoyed them! It just demonstrates that different people want different things from Marvel, and that Phase 4 (especially with the shows) has definitely been seen as an opportunity to diversify their output a bit.

Yeah, totally - and like I say, I'll still watch the stuff so whether I actually like it or not is almost irrelevant in terms of the metrics they will collect.

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Maslany is, basically, too good for it. She should be an A-list actor.

I sometimes wonder if they’ll get to a point where they struggle to attract new people. Keeping up with the MCU, even with the increased D+ output, is a matter of seeing a few movies and watching a few weeks worth of 30-45 minute episodes for me. But I guess there will come a point where they’ll need new people coming in and the weight of watching 30 movies and 15 shows might be a bit much. 

I actually think that the need to watch lots of other stuff for 'homework' is a overstated, because the stories are all over the place anyway that it doesn't really matter.

Perhaps Dr Strange 2 is the only one that really needed much outside information, but other than that, I'm not sure too many have been linked too intricately to other things? I could be misremembering though.

I randomly occasionally watch the odd Disney-Marvel production and whatever overarching storyline they apparently have can't be that important as they seem to work fine enough as a standalone product, though I'm sure that to get 110% enjoyment, I really need 30+ years of comic/film background knowledge, but like 99% of the audience, that ain't happening in this or any other lifetime so they have to ensure this stuff works on a basic level as entertainment.

I stopped following the MCU years ago and haven't read a comic in a long time either, yet still thought Infinity War was by far the best one, despite having seen very few of the films which directly preceded it.

2 hours ago, Broker said:

I sometimes wonder if they’ll get to a point where they struggle to attract new people. Keeping up with the MCU, even with the increased D+ output, is a matter of seeing a few movies and watching a few weeks worth of 30-45 minute episodes for me. But I guess there will come a point where they’ll need new people coming in and the weight of watching 30 movies and 15 shows might be a bit much. 

I think the fact they are (mostly) all accessible on Disney+ now should make a huge difference.

People regularly commit to multi-season TV shows. The MCU at this point is like the biggest, most expensive TV show ever made - you start with Iron Man and then just work your way through from there. I mean most of them can be watched in isolation but I'd bet most people at least try to watch the movies in some sort of order.