Jump to content

She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August


Captain Kelsten
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, SaintAnselm said:

She Hulk in the comics has always been a very sexually confident character and it’s a massive part of her personality, I mean she even got kicked out of living in the Avengers mansion once, as she kept on bringing strange men there without the correct security clearances.

 

To be honest, that proves my point! That if you're a sexual character you have to conform to the beauty standard: big butt, big tits, flowing long hair. Your basic glamour model. 

 

I just would like to have seen her change in a way that kept her essential appearance but just made her taller, more ripped and proportionally bigger knockers. Not giganticised to pander to the male gaze. I don't think Jen need a fundamental change to her feminine figure; she's lovely enough as it is. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Treble said:

 

To be honest, that proves my point! That if you're a sexual character you have to conform to the beauty standard: big butt, big tits, flowing long hair. Your basic glamour model. 

 

I just would like to have seen her change in a way that kept her essential appearance but just made her taller, more ripped and proportionally bigger knockers. Not giganticised to pander to the male gaze. I don't think Jen need a fundamental change to her feminine figure; she's lovely enough as it is. 

 

 


This kind of sounds to me like you’re applying your own male gaze to her tbh.  What even is a “feminine figure”?  
 

She’s just a person, man.  (I mean, and also a Hulk.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kodamarama said:


This kind of sounds to me like you’re applying your own male gaze to her tbh.  What even is a “feminine figure”?  
 

She’s just a person, man.  (I mean, and also a Hulk.)

 

I mean Jen's figure, the one that she owns as a female-presenting person. I mean hey, no worries if I'm off base here, but it's not me being weird or someone to vilify, I just thought the change was very noticeable. Come on man :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Treble said:

 

I mean Jen's figure, the one that she owns as a female-presenting person. I mean hey, no worries if I'm off base here, but it's not me being weird or someone to vilify, I just thought the change was very noticeable. Come on man :(

Sorry, not my intention to vilify. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I did comment to my husband about the diddies. And wondered if Banner also gets a trouser snake when he transforms, since that now seems to be a thing. 

 

He's clearly learnt the value of spandex the hard way, so to speak.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A hundred basement dweller comments on IMDB hardly a controversy make. I generally hate articles like that just as much as the loathsome trolls because they only exist to whip people up on Twitter and farm clicks so that people can point and laugh at a few hundred incels. It's just pointless. The article tries to paint it as some sort of mass internet protest by men in their 30s, which is clearly quite far from the truth, and it seems to be reviewing quite well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was alright. Enjoyable enough for me to carry on with, at least. I liked Orphan Black as Jennifer, she was great at both being herself and being she-hulk with sass. 
 

I did find it weird that she did change so dramatically but mostly her hair - why does her hair get long and straight when she changes instead of staying shorter and curly? I found that dead weird. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

This was alright. Enjoyable enough for me to carry on with, at least. I liked Orphan Black as Jennifer, she was great at both being herself and being she-hulk with sass. 
 

I did find it weird that she did change so dramatically but mostly her hair - why does her hair get long and straight when she changes instead of staying shorter and curly? I found that dead weird. 

 

It's the old 'glasses are unattractive' trope but with curly vs straight hair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Benny said:

Doesn't Banner's hair do exactly the same thing though?


Yeah, sort of but not to such an extreme. This was the counterpoint my wife made funnily enough, and yeah he goes from longer curly hair to cropped hair, which could be curly I guess? It’s similar enough, I’d say, whereas hers grows 2ft and straightens itself. Was just odd. 
 

CGI was proper ropey in some places, too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:


Yeah, sort of but not to such an extreme. This was the counterpoint my wife made funnily enough, and yeah he goes from longer curly hair to cropped hair, which could be curly I guess? It’s similar enough, I’d say, whereas hers grows 2ft and straightens itself. Was just odd. 
 

CGI was proper ropey in some places, too. 


i haven’t watched this yet and don’t know much Hulk lore (apart from reading all of The Immortal Hulk which is amazing btw) but couldn’t it be that their Hulkified versions are like a physical manifestation of their inner selves? Like, Bruce is a seething ball of rage and trauma and that’s what he turns into, while Jen is a right old horndog and transforms into her version of what she feels she “should” look like. Like it’s her own idealised self-image (but green). It begs the question of why that self-image aligns so closely with society’s norms catering for the male gaze (but green), but (a) like everyone she is affected by the society she is a part of and (b) this might be an interesting area for the story to explore, why does she subconsciously feel she ought to look like a Playboy model (but green)?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Darren said:


i haven’t watched this yet and don’t know much Hulk lore (apart from reading all of The Immortal Hulk which is amazing btw) but couldn’t it be that their Hulkified versions are like a physical manifestation of their inner selves? Like, Bruce is a seething ball of rage and trauma and that’s what he turns into, while Jen is a right old horndog and transforms into her version of what she feels she “should” look like. Like it’s her own idealised self-image (but green). It begs the question of why that self-image aligns so closely with society’s norms catering for the male gaze (but green), but (a) like everyone she is affected by the society she is a part of and (b) this might be an interesting area for the story to explore, why does she subconsciously feel she ought to look like a Playboy model (but green)?

It’s a silly comic book that almost never takes itself seriously, you are thinking way too deep about this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SaintAnselm said:

It’s a silly comic book that almost never takes itself seriously, you are thinking way too deep about this.

 

I never like this sentiment. It's reductive about literally everything and shuts down interesting discourse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Darren said:


i haven’t watched this yet and don’t know much Hulk lore (apart from reading all of The Immortal Hulk which is amazing btw) but couldn’t it be that their Hulkified versions are like a physical manifestation of their inner selves? Like, Bruce is a seething ball of rage and trauma and that’s what he turns into, while Jen is a right old horndog and transforms into her version of what she feels she “should” look like. Like it’s her own idealised self-image (but green). It begs the question of why that self-image aligns so closely with society’s norms catering for the male gaze (but green), but (a) like everyone she is affected by the society she is a part of and (b) this might be an interesting area for the story to explore, why does she subconsciously feel she ought to look like a Playboy model (but green)?


it may very well be that. 
 

you also reminded me I bought all of immortal hulk and it’s sat on my shelf unread. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TBH without any knowledge of the comics I half wondered if when someone hulks out and gets physically larger they also gain more mass, which would probably also straighten curly hair as the length has more weight to it, like an exaggerated version  of what happens when you grow it out normally (No idea why that mean you'd also go up a couple of bra sizes though) 

 

BUUUUT then that raises a bunch more questions that I dont know were ever addressed elsewhere. Say The avengers pile into an elevator or aircraft and then Banner changes? Like, I think they said somewhere that Antman retains the same mass regardless of size, but then surely that would mean that when he goes into 50ft giant mode he'd be proportionately featherweight, like a parade baloon?

 

tl;dr If you're gonna try to find in-universe explanations for MCU stuff, good luck, most of it doesnt stand up to any real thought. The comics did stuff cuz it looked/sounded cool, and then the MCU has adapted that for pretty much the same reason. 

 

Personally I prefer explanation Darren raises, though, just because it's a bit 'looser' in how it can be applied. No doubt intentional on the writers part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see this was created and partially written by Jessica Gao, who either wrote one of the best or worst episodes of Rick & Morty (depending on your viewpoint), John Pickle Rick AKA Solen'ya. She seems to have been stuck in development hell on multiple projects until this one.

 

I might have to see how this plays out as these Marvel shows have a distinct tendency to be uneven.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.