She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August

Captain Kelsten

15 minutes ago, NickC said:

People think you are down on it because of your posts Benny. The majority are critical and poking holes in the show. You say that you should be able to critique what's being presented to you, but people are only doing the same with what you write. You are shining a light on issues you think are important to discuss, it's only reasonable people want to discuss them.

Yeah, but it's in ad-hominem territory. Discussing the points made is normal, discussing the (assumption of the) person posting them is not.

Ok, happy to discuss this more whenever you like Benny :)

FWIW I don't think you have a nefarious agenda in any of this, but I do think focusing on criticising of what the show is not is not particularly helpful given what it IS saying and how online reaction to a show like this impacts certain people irl.

1 minute ago, Phantoon said:

Yeah, but it's in ad-hominem territory. Discussing the points made is normal, discussing the (assumption of the) person posting them is not.

Then you're mistaken, I think Benny is a good person with no agenda here.

Just caught up with episodes 4 through 9 of this, as a week between episodes was doing my nut, and it's been so great, I really hope they make more of it. Particularly enjoyed all the minor superheroes and their various personality flaws and emotional issues, they felt very Venture Bros. (and made me desperately sad we don't have more Venture Bros.!) 

Absolutely loved 

Spoiler

Kevin

as well. That's literally all I'm going to see in my head whenever anyone's discussing Marvel Studios' strategy and decision-making now :lol:

Oh my only niggle with this actually was something that I didn't like about Deadpool 2 either 

Spoiler

The existence of a 'superpower inhibitor' piece of kit slightly ruins the superhero setting for me, because I can't shake the nagging thought that if that sort of thing existed, they would just slap it on all of them.

14 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

Yup and I regret my part in lighting the fuse earlier. Get back to binging Rings of Power @Benny!

I've got three episodes left, I had to take a break because my eye sockets were bleeding from all the money being stuffed into them.

3 hours ago, PK said:

Oh my only niggle with this actually was something that I didn't like about Deadpool 2 either 

Hide contents

The existence of a 'superpower inhibitor' piece of kit slightly ruins the superhero setting for me, because I can't shake the nagging thought that if that sort of thing existed, they would just slap it on all of them.

Yup, they could've gone simpler

Spoiler

Like maybe a vibranium anklet that would just stop her hulking up. Make it something practical rather than something that could potentially be universe-breaking.

I don't know, it's all kinda pointless as an observation, isn't it? Otherwise you just circle back around to 'Why aren't the other Avengers helping?' type stuff when something goes down. By which I mean, none of this is in any way universe-breaking really, because you already have to accept that every character's films/TV shows generally have to happen in relative isolation to everybody else in order for any of this to work.

Quick edit: By pointless, I just mean it's not worth focusing on that being a threat to the lore when we have to let so much other stuff go in the course of watching, well, anything.

The only thing that bothers me about these devices is that they're "one device to rule them all". Powers come in all forms with all sorts of origins, natural and artificial, but one bit of tech can nullify them all.

But it doesn't bother me that much. It just occurs to me when they use one, but then I just put that aside and get on with it.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The only thing that bothers me about these devices is that they're "one device to rule them all". Powers come in all forms with all sorts of origins, natural and artificial, but one bit of tech can nullify them all.

But it doesn't bother me that much. It just occurs to me when they use one, but then I just put that aside and get on with it.

Do they use them on any other powers, though? Bruce, Jennifer, and Abomination are all similarly powered.

Edit: didn't spot the initial ref to Deadpool 2. Perils of reading on phone.

On 14/10/2022 at 14:55, Fierce Poodle said:

Because the other Marvel TV shows have been so consequential?

This was easily the best of the shows so far and the ending was handled brilliantly, so clever and funny.

Yeah I’d much rather see a show that presents the MCU as a place where stuff just happens to the characters that constantly falling back on the old marvel comics favourite of “this will change everything” stories that never actually have any consequences. 

On 15/10/2022 at 19:41, tenrou said:

I haven't read any of the comics so can't comment on what's meta based on comics or not but I was a fan of early marvel and I've been less of a fan of more recent marvel.  I absolutely hated the finale.  It would put me off watching more marvel shows.  Would be interesting to see how the general public felt about it and if it impacts viewing on the longer term.

I should say that I don't own the decision on whether these are good or not.  Happy for anyone to enjoy this, just saying as a more general viewer that I wonder if I'm in the majority or the minority and if it impacts people's perception.

Unfortunately the incel backlash means we’ll never know how popular it was with general audiences, as all the metrics that would show that have been manipulated by campaigns designed to make it look bad. 

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Director Kat Coiro revealed an unused idea for that bit in the finale where too many people were turning up. They considered throwing Ed Norton into the mix.

I'm disappointed this didn't happen now!

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

Director Kat Coiro revealed an unused idea for that bit in the finale where too many people were turning up. They considered throwing Ed Norton into the mix.

that would've been hilarious

• 3 weeks later...