She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August

This week's episode was actually really boring.

Spoiler

Probably the first genuinely duff one. I wanted lots of courtroom drama/comedy for this series, but I guess be careful what you wish for if the writers can't write engaging courtroom drama/comedy.

Jokes didn't really land either.

BUT

Spoiler

I see what they're trying to do with the scene where a character asks if the guy would have dated her if she "presented as" someone different.

If they're trying to do some kind of Trans allegory with this though, it will be a difficult line to tread. Especially as that really doesn't work in that way, but the language used makes it sound like that's what they were trying to make the audience think about.

46 minutes ago, Benny said:

BUT

Hide contents

I see what they're trying to do with the scene where a character asks if the guy would have dated her if she "presented as" someone different.

If they're trying to do some kind of Trans allegory with this though, it will be a difficult line to tread. Especially as that really doesn't work in that way, but the language used makes it sound like that's what they were trying to make the audience think about.

Maybe they’re just doing a

Spoiler

“women often get treated as disposable garbage, and many men often feel justified to do so because of how the woman looks (especially online dating (especially in LA))”

analogy. 

5 minutes ago, Kodamarama said:

Maybe they’re just doing a

Hide contents

“women often get treated as disposable garbage, and many men often feel justified to do so because of how the woman looks (especially online dating (especially in LA))”

analogy. 

Spoiler

I thought they were just doing that mainly up until the specific "presented as" line. I'm probably just reading too much into it.

1 minute ago, Benny said:

Hide contents

I thought they were just doing that mainly up until the specific "presented as" line. I'm probably just reading too much into it.

Oh ok - I didn’t really pick-up on that line, so I do see what you mean. 

Men are still garbage people either way though. Soz all. 

Continue to enjoy this every week, I laughed out loud multiple times this week.

I'm loving Marvel doing different things with their characters. I'm sure at some point she'll have a big old punch up but I'm in no rush to see that.

5 minutes ago, Kodamarama said:

Oh ok - I didn’t really pick-up on that line, so I do see what you mean. 

Men are still garbage people either way though. Soz all. 

Spoiler

I mean I'm kind of theorising/spitballing that that was the intention though. Being a Marvel show they might be keeping it intentionally vague I dunno. However, if it was intentional then as a Trans allegory it's probably actually a bit hamfisted, but ultimately the narrative goal is "online dating men sucks" either way.

5 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Continue to enjoy this every week, I laughed out loud multiple times this week.

I'm loving Marvel doing different things with their characters. I'm sure at something she'll have a big old punch up but I'm in no rush to see that.

Really? What at? It's just awful. Trying to give it a chance but when someone mentions the likes of Futarama I'm just reminded of so many better things. These writers are terrible.

36 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

Really? What at? It's just awful. Trying to give it a chance but when someone mentions the likes of Futarama I'm just reminded of so many better things. These writers are terrible.

At multiple things. If you don't like it, cool, but I do 🤷‍♂️. It's light entertainment, silly and whimsical and I like that. 

You can always say there's something better with every form of entertainment, but I'm hardly sat here thinking "well I really like this, but Futarama was better".

45 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

What. 

I just..

Are we watching the same thing? 

Although I’d agree that it was the weakest so far, I still very much enjoyed this week’s episode. I’m enjoying the slow build of the plot line about Hen wanting to be accepted as herself, and I’m interested to see where it goes. It wasn’t as funny as previous episodes, but I like all the characters. Jamila is doing a really good job of seeming like an absolute asshole. Loved Pug’s scenes.

There we’re two notable flaws though. Firstly after the “we need to establish a pattern of you calling yourself She-Hulk” the guy she dated showed up at work and I just assumed they were jumping straight into the dating profile being that, but instead we got a slow scene of Jen working out something obvious. But the main issue was that it didn’t really have a climax, it just kind of fizzled out and ended. 

13 hours ago, Benny said:

Hide contents

I mean I'm kind of theorising/spitballing that that was the intention though. Being a Marvel show they might be keeping it intentionally vague I dunno. However, if it was intentional then as a Trans allegory it's probably actually a bit hamfisted, but ultimately the narrative goal is "online dating men sucks" either way.

It could absolutely be taken as that, but also (having known people this has happened to) wondered whether it was as much a commentary on people looking completely different to their profile pictures. Regardless, it was an ‘ok’ episode; definitely the weakest so far, and no mid-credits scene either.

But the reveal at the end was pretty cool. 

Despite the frequently ropey CG, I think this is great. I love the light comedy tone, and I love that they're so squarely sticking it to the idiotic haters. I hope that they play 

Spoiler

Daredevil

As grim-dark as possible, and have the jarring of tones really highlight how needlessly self-serious these things can be.

3 hours ago, Delargey said:

I was a bit disappointed the lent into the high camp bitchy costume designer in this. It's a bit of stereo type and he was really extra enough to be funny.

Yeah, it was misjudged and he just came across as rude, esp. the hags comment he made when they arrived - it just seemed mean-spirited. 

Not getting the drop off in this episode that other people are getting, still on a par with the other episodes for me. I'd be happy if they'd binned the whole of the MCU after Endgame and just went straight into this instead.

58 minutes ago, DualSense said:

Does it need to have one? Accept it for what it is and stop complaining about what it isn’t I say.

I do mainly, but I think id prefer it if there was a narrative. Not exactly a controversial opinion, is it?