She-Hulk: Attorney at Law series coming to Disney + 17th August

Come to think of it, they could have worked it into some sort of content warning at the start of the show. Considering they break the fourth wall all the time anyway I'm now disappointed they didn't. Would have been an opportunity for another gag.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

can I just say that of all the things I've seen in the MCU, the most outlandish thing is that somehow Tatiana Maslany is so undesirable no one wants to date her.

Spoiler

That whole scene was just exceptionally strange. It was obviously intentionally contrived in general, like it was written by an alien's idea of how human dating tends to go, but I'm not sure the humour really landed for me.

I also didn't really like the joke about it not mattering how hot the guys is, but with the aside "actually, it matters". I get they're really leaning into the "all men are shitty" angle with the dating stuff but dialogue like that just undermines it with a bit of a crummy "girlboss" kind of vibe too.

And oddly enough, I didn't really like the scene that was in either, reason being: the whole joke of introducing Wong and that giving the show "Twitter armour", sure that's funny, but by bringing in a well loved male character for many scenes, aren't they just undermining the fact this is supposed to be Jen's show despite the joke?

So then to have a scene later on, where she is interrupted in her leisure time, by a male character demanding she drop everything to help him, when he's the bloody Sorcerer Supreme... Can't he find some other dogsbody to do this? It feels like despite the show constantly trying to get us to see the shittiness of men, it's never actually addressing the more everyday sexism like the expectation made of her in that scene, and she goes along with loads of stuff like that because she has to to serve the plot.

It feels a lot more like a character that is reacting to stuff, rather than making active decisions to push back against these male character expectations and expectations of the audience. She has never outright pushed back at the narrative yet despite breaking the fourth wall constantly

I actually really liked the scene where she's busy working in a bar and the terrible bloke rocks up in her business, as that stuff happens all the time and it felt like a more relatable portrayal of the perils of random assholes than the men she actually went on dates with. All of which were so transparently awful you have to wonder how the dates even happened in the first place assuming they communicated beforehand.

I don't know. I'm torn. I like parts of the show, but sometimes it feels like it's undermining itself a lot.

Okay I'm done deconstructing this light hearted comedy show now. Probably.

On 03/09/2022 at 23:12, Benny said:
  Hide contents

I have no problem with it narratively - I do understand what they were doing with it and why. But by making it a "real" celebrity playing themselves it honestly just felt a bit weird and indulgent. And as I said, I am old and grouchy and I'm clearly not the target audience for whoever it was.

I can't help feeling that the presence of MTS (who I have never listened to and that isn't going to change based on what I saw!) will age that episode so badly in a few years' time! It was a very fun time besides the cameo, though. Hopefully MTS fans loved that stuff, anyway. Really looking forward to watching ep 4, I love Wong!

On 06/09/2022 at 10:27, DeciderVT said:

Enjoying the fact that Maslany has to walk around on a series of small benches to get to She-Hulk's height.

I was about to post how I really enjoyed that. But that scene, JFC, it's so cringey, p lease no more of that!

I'm not sure I want that, but I tell you what could be a smart idea to do something fun with the character:

Spoiler

Have the Demon she sold her soul to get dragged into court, so that Jen can make a legal case that the contract was signed under duress or without full knowledge or something. When she mentioned signing the contract I was like, come on, this has to happen now surely.

13 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Part of me knows that her schick would get tiresome - but I WANT THIS.

It beats the old formula of introducing some super villain to fight just because its a super hero show. I be happy if Jen just does lawyer stuff with each episode being a different case.

19 minutes ago, Ste_S said:
  Hide contents

Is Donny Blaze any relation, I wonder? Or is that just She-Hulk doing the knowing 4th wall thing

I think it's a piss take, rather than any relation to Johnny.

Also loving this. Worst thing about it, is that is seems to be the shortest TV show in the history of short TV shows and I WANT MORE!

16 minutes ago, Scruff said:

I think it's a piss take, rather than any relation to Johnny.

Also loving this. Worst thing about it, is that is seems to be the shortest TV show in the history of short TV shows and I WANT MORE!

due to cost of CG right?

I chuckled at Captain America's arse being her phone wallpaper. 

the lawyer is a magician too

:lol: 

Those Sopranos spoilers were ridiculous though. Making jokes about the ending is fine but spoiling character deaths that happen 80 hours into the series is fucking harsh. There's plenty of kids who will go on to watch the Sopranos once they've grown out of superhero pish (and then grow back into it in their 30s :lol:), bit of a shitty move. 

Then I guess we just have to wait for the Sopranos to be spoiled a few hundred more times and it will be OK. 

The scenes in She-Hulk were funny because they were important spoilers. If they'd been for something more recent the annoyance would have been fair enough. But again, the Sopranos is 15 years old. If you've not watched it by now, what have you been watching? 

Won't someone think of the hypothetical kiddies?!

Are you genuinely, honestly, suggesting that primary school age children will remember the names of the two characters in a throwaway spoiler that probably didn't even register, and will carry that with them for years until they - maybe, at some point - watch the Sopranos?

Well, you did say 10-15 year olds. Fair enough, I have every sympathy for the many 15 years olds who were just days away from starting the Sopranos and will definitely remember the names Flopsy* and Mopsy* as mentioned by Madisynn in She-Hulk.

*Edited