IGNORED

Gravel - fantastic arcade racer £2.99

dumpster

4 hours ago, the_debaser said:

It’s just about worth £2.99. I wouldn’t pay more than that though, the driving is just plain slow and it’s got none of the charm of something like sega rally. 

Maybe it's because I'm on a series X but the 60fps and tightly fought battles have kept me playing for a week now.  It's not slow is it? 

4 hours ago, Mr Majestyk said:

This is now cheap on PSN for those who want to pick is up

Gravel - £2.49 (90% off)

Gravel Special Edition - £3.29 (90% off)

Is it enhanced on the ps5 the same as the Xbox version? 

5 hours ago, IainGamer said:

Is it enhanced on the ps5 the same as the Xbox version? 

Don’t think so. It’s not Sega Rally good either. It REALLY wants to be DIRT 2

On 25/05/2022 at 08:12, Mr Majestyk said:

This is now cheap on PSN for those who want to pick is up

Gravel - £2.49 (90% off)

Gravel Special Edition - £3.29 (90% off)

Picked up special edition for ps4 pro tried a couple of races and for the money good so far.

It's an older less polished dirt 5 or a newer rally fusion. 

For those not so impressed with this, NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered (by Criterion) is £6.99 on PSN right now and in the running for the GOAT Arcade racer.

I see Gravel is by Milestone who did the overlooked and stupidly fun Hot Wheels Unleashed. Though £3.29 is tempting, I’ll wait for it to drop in price on Xbox again as that is where I’m doing the majority of my gaming right now. 

• 2 months later...
On 26/05/2022 at 13:43, Timmo said:

For those not so impressed with this, NFS Hot Pursuit Remastered (by Criterion) is £6.99 on PSN right now and in the running for the GOAT Arcade racer.

This hasn't aged brilliantly. Frustrating mission structure that brickwalls you on some seriously tedious events, endless screens between races, but worst of all the handling just doesn't feel that great now.

Loved it at the time but it feels like a relic now. Burnout Takedown and Split/Second hold up a lot better.

It's funny to read these comments, so many differing views.  For me, Gravel felt the most like Sega Rally out of any of the recent games I had tried.  

I love NFS HP, but find it's just too hard.  I've probably only seen a quarter of what is has to offer and I find myself with a choice of events, none of which I can do.  Needs an easier mode.

It makes me smile to see the full game of Gravel at £2.99 and the deluxe version with all DLC at £3.50.  Does anyone sit at home thinking "50p is 50p, I can get half a twix with that" and buy the cheaper one? The dlc on its own is £15 I think.

19 minutes ago, dave7g said:

It's pretty good, most certainly have played worse racers. Went all out and sprung for the deluxe version, I hope I don't have this buyers remorse for long.

You'll be out and about sometime this week, thirsty and 50p short for a can of Coke, shouting "Damn you, Deluxe Gravel"

9 minutes ago, dumpster said:

You'll be out and about sometime this week, thirsty and 50p short for a can of Coke, shouting "Damn you, Deluxe Gravel"

I've already asked for a refund, I can't justify it. I'm going to wait for it drop to  £1.

I really liked this and got a good few weeks out of it last year. It felt like a natural successor to Sega Rally Online Arcade with the deformable terrain and slightly 'soft' graphics. 

The very first race looked and felt like Sega Rally 3 for sure.

It’s quite good fun, rough around the edges but interesting enough to hold my attention.

I really liked Dirt5 and this feels like a low budget remake.

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

It makes me smile to see the full game of Gravel at £2.99 and the deluxe version with all DLC at £3.50.  Does anyone sit at home thinking "50p is 50p, I can get half a twix with that" and buy the cheaper one? The dlc on its own is £15 I think.

You had me confused for a second as I was sure I had all the dlc included but paid 2.99.

Aye the basic version is £2.50 and the full version is £2.99. Some of the DLC tracks are quite nice!

And the result is… maybe. It runs fine, if maybe pushing the Deck very hard (it gives an overheating warning and limits system performance), and - apart from a few occasions where inputs glitch or keyboard prompts are shown by mistake - it shows Deck inputs at all times, has an official gamepad layout and picks up the correct native resolution.  

Unfortunately the game grinds to a stuttering halt during races, where there’s nothing to do but wait for the problem to abate by itself. This has happened on every one of the starting 4 races, which is a bummer, because the game itself is fun (although I really dislike the way your car can catch on parts of the trackside scenery and bring you to a dead stop). I can’t rule out some ephemeral issue with the Deck and so will refrain from saying it’s a broken mess until I’ve charged up the battery and had another go. I’ve definitely seen the same symptoms on other games and they went away by themselves. 

I played a bit more this morning, and I’m pleased to say I was able to play several races without the freezing issue happening. After a while the Deck got too hot and gave the warning again; shortly after which the game froze again. So it seems to be performance-related, and having already turned the visual setting down from ultra to high, I finally set it to medium, but at that point the battery had run down too much to continue to continue testing. 

One thing that would be nice is if developers of PC games start publishing (or even building into the game directly) Deck-recommended settings. I hate guessing at what level of settings will look good enough without draining the battery in under an hour.