Gravel - fantastic arcade racer £2.99

dumpster

The FMV in the campaign intro... :lol:. It's good fun, after a quick race. Looks a little janky, but is buttery smooth. The Celica in the first race seems oddly floaty until you mentally go back in time a bit and... ah hah, it's Sega Rally. 

Almost certainly influenced by having only paid a few bucks, though.

I have enjoyed it on and off since launch. It could sorely do with a resolution boost on the series x though,  but it’s nice and smooth. Reminds me of an original Xbox game as it looks really basic in places. 

Don't think there is a more divisive genre than arcade racer nowadays, from the debate about actually whether a game is arcade, simcade etc to handling models to graphics every element seems to polarise people.

I can't believe this had totally passed me by, I'd never heard of it. I honestly think it's way better than the most recent Dirt efforts from Codemasters, whose handling model I never like. But I'm somebody who thought Driveclub was garbage and hated it and couldn't stand Onrush with it's silly no racing structure - other people loved those.

Divisive things these racers.

20 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I wish someone would rerelease Pure 

Oh yes! That was bloody great and I don't think you can get it anywhere anymore.

Back to Gravel - has anyone tried the PC version? - It all works great but then I get some massive slow down during the first race - single figure frame rate. 

3 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Oh yes! That was bloody great and I don't think you can get it anywhere anymore.

Edit - Digital code in stock at Game 🤨

3 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Back to Gravel - has anyone tried the PC version? - It all works great but then I get some massive slow down during the first race - single figure frame rate. 

45 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Edit - Digital code in stock at Game 🤨

You can get it from various key sites but for like £40. Will see if I can get a 'package' like with Blur.

£15 at Game, but doesn't say if it is a Steam key or not. 

Edit:

ITS A STEAm KEY :omg: 

image.thumb.png.0f8219686b2b43d236af27ddc909a9de.png

39 minutes ago, Parappa said:

Wow thats great! The question is does the game actually work 🤣

So.... yes, you need a noCD patch, but it is just two files. I even got it working on Steam Deck. 

If you do get it, let me know and I'll link to the files (from me, rather than going through moody sites)

On 18/05/2022 at 23:13, Graham S said:

Resetera’s enhancement thread lists it as

Gravel
Series X/One X

2160p
Improved textures, effects

I think the hud might be 2160p, but in game it’s definitely not. 

DriveClub, once fully patched, is an absolute delight. Stop this nonsense. Still the most convincing weather effects, beating anything even current gen has to offer.  A brilliant game.

Onrush, fucking hell. What even was that. A racing game with no start or finish line, and a team of computer controlled players who complete the level for you as you trundle about.

Pure? Awesome game, which never seems to get mentioned.  Like it flew under the radar at launch. And of course Disney published it, along with the brilliant Split Second.  

Still very much enjoying Gravel. It reminds me of Dirt 5, which I enjoyed on Gamepass but found myself turning off.  Dirt had those silly vehicles that only turn left, and those pinbally levels.  When it was rally cars on a track it was great fun but there was loads of other gameplay modes I didn't enjoy.  Gravel seems much more focussed somehow and I'm enjoying the progression a lot.  

Don't forget there are a load of free extra cars from the in game store.

I’ve just checked my post history and I can see last year I bought it for £3.99 on PSN ( with the DLC) so it’s been cheap on there as well.

I too looked for a dedicated thread and just plopped it in the arcade racer one.

Never worth full price but for £4 ish there’s fun to be had