IGNORED

Brian and Charles

Capwn

I keep digging further into this. Apparently it all started like a decade ago during a radio show where the Charles guy was typing into a text to speech type software and having conversations with Earl. Would love to hear an example of one of these shows. It then transitioned into part of a live act, which is when a physical version of Charles was created, I believe. 

Text to speech always cracks me up (sorry Hawkins) but there is an art to making it funnier, by writing certain words where they pitch up/down awkwardly as well as odd seemingly random pauses. If you mix that with throwing in redundant words, the mixture of an intelligent sounding voice talking awkwardly is a comedy goldmine. For me at least.

A good example of this is in the short where charles asks 'Where is my little chair?' ; adding the word 'little' is what makes it so funny.

This project really feels like lightning in a bottle. The acting, writing, costume design, location etc all seems to be so well aligned into one coherent vision. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rented this tonight, it’s so so good. Just wish there was more, needs to be a tv series. Also I love this version of Brian so much more than ‘derek’ or ‘afterlife’ Brian. 

Film of the year so far by a mile 

19 hours ago, Capwn said:

Rented this tonight, it’s so so good. Just wish there was more, needs to be a tv series. Also I love this version of Brian so much more than ‘derek’ or ‘afterlife’ Brian. 

Film of the year so far by a mile 

something 9/12 year olds might enjoy?

1 hour ago, watusi said:

something 9/12 year olds might enjoy?

Absolutely, I specifically mentioned this in the film rating thread as it's very playful/silly and there isn't any crude humor at all. It's very wholesome. Perhaps show them a trailer to see if they would find the general idea amusing or not.

This is a wonderful film. You can guess the entire plot within about 5 minutes but it's hilarious and utterly charming.

It's also worth watching all of the credits!

Well we went to see this today and my 8 year old LOVED it.

Spoiler

I mean he was in total bits at the end and wouldn’t stop crying until the Charles rap in the credits.

like Capone the only negative I found was that I wanted so much more. The time flew by and I was itching for more Brian and Charles. I hope this doesn’t end here.

Watched this at the cinema today and really enjoyed it and am now annoyed that I missed the credits (especially as I ended up having loads of time before my train turned up).

Two people appeared to walk out quite early on of the screening I was in (not together/at the same time).

This was sweet and funny at times but the story was entirely predictable which wasn’t in keeping with the quirky nature of the characters. I could have done with a curveball or two. 

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed it was such a delightful film. The way Charles reacts to stuff is brilliant, from a puppy-like wonder and excitement to a stroppy teenager 😆

Also that showdown 

Spoiler

with Eddie, I did not expect a massive spring-loaded shoving device. I thought he'd had some kind of armour on underneath. Then Charles firing cabbages at him to seal to deal, had me proper loling :lol:

Really enjoyed this, I wouldn't mind us getting a limited TV series.

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

I thought the mockumentary bits were a bot weak, but other than that I really liked it. 

Yeah it's mockumentary theme is tenuous at best. But overall a lovely film. 

On a sidenote extremely slight spoiler ahead..

Spoiler

Does anyone know which station they used for the ending?