Jump to content
IGNORED

The Top 100 TV Series which began since 2000 as voted by TV experts.


 Share

Recommended Posts

Oh dear, no single mention of the incredible 'Gravity Falls'? A show whose influence on children's television is only becoming more obvious as time goes on.

 

That and the fact its bloody amazing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

You are always going to pick at things in lists like this you don't enjoy - Breaking Bad wouldn't make my top 200, its the one I can never understand placing so highly, I far prefer Better Call Saul.

 

Can't fathom how The Americans is so high, I thought it was utterly generic ITV fodder when I watched the first season.

 

The one I think could end up on the list from the current crop of shows is Severance on Apple TV, at the moment it's in Westworld territory after 1 amazing season so remains to be seen whether it continues at it's current level of quality or turns to shit, like Westworld.

 

 

The Americans is top 5 for me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MarkN said:

I've not seen a large number of these so my opinion is somewhat moot, but I'll still suggest that Hey Duggee and Bluey should probably get slots. (Also Detectorists and Inside Number 9 should be higher.)

 

Wooooffff!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sandman said:

The Americans is top 5 for me


certainly better than game of thrones if you take the whole run from start to finish.

the good place also far too low.

 

at least they’re got crazy ex girlfriend in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Popo said:

No Mr Robot? Shame! Shame!

This was that my initial thought, but then I remembered that I almost bailed on it after the turgid season 2. There was certainly no indication that it was going to emerge from that chrysalis as an exquisitely weird and beautiful butterfly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm quite surprised Six Feet Under is so high. I really like it but I always felt like it tended to fly a bit under the radar in these kind of 'best of' lists, perhaps overshadowed by The Sopranos and The Wire airing on HBO at the same time. Certainly, a lot of the shows lower down in the list seemed to me to get a lot more widespread critical acclaim at the time of their airing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually just see how long before I can spot Six Feet Under. 

 

And think of others...Boardwalk Empire genuinely is forgotten then? I think anyone giving it a go would be surprised how great its moments can be, but there's some slow stuff to wade through to reach there. By season 3-4, it's that calibre of looking forward to see what happens next. It introduces a hot headed character and that was it, that's all it needed to do. And that hot headed character isn't even Al Capone, he comes after. You've got some of the best actors around in tense situations with eachother with some of the best set design and cinematography. The character of Richard and how it's played, so good. 

 

I'm surprised Mad Men remains so high, it seems like a show few watched and talked about, but it won awards and comes high on these lists. I thought it was the best written show in terms of dialogue, but it wastes a lot of time with Don being drunk. When he does a pitch, it's magic. If it takes 5 episodes to get to a pitch, it's too long. 

 

The 'pass the cushion' scene in Breaking Bad with the acting by Cranston is one of many in the first season that put the show up there for me in being great. I don't think it's all perfect, but not in a top 200? I can't fathom that really. How much shit would you have to squeeze in?

 

The cinematography in it and Game Of Thrones really made an impression on me, I'm not sure why. You don't expect that lighting and care in framing, little sequences. I watch a lot of films with far lesser quality in imagination and care, it's the way these shows know what they are so well they can just tap into greatness so often and so easily. The first shot of Breaking Bad is better than the best most films I watch can manage. 

 

Not watched a new show that’s excited me in ages, there's layers of apathy and boredom it'd have to break through. But I haven't seen more than a few episodes of Better Call Saul, so...maybe I'm fortunate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As with any list it's impossible to agree 100% but then again, there are loads of series on that list I've not even heard about and others I'm flat out have no interest for. I think I should use this list to give some new series a chance.

No. 4 on the list, Fleabag, I haven't even heard about until now so I guess I need to check it out. 

No. 67 is a bit puzzling, to me, as it's a rather niche reality show. I haven't watched it so I can't comment on how good it is but in my mind I struggle to believe it's better than, say, Masterchef Australia which I rate among the very best reality shows ever, if not the best. 

 

Overall a good list and I've decided to give the following a chance over the nest few weeks: 
Fleabag
I May Destroy You
Babylon Berlin
Enlightened
Normal People

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Normal People was good. Two great directors and excellent cast.

 

Same directors and not as good cast gives us Conversations With Friends - which is an unbearably dull show about horrible dickheads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It fells like a very 'male' list.

 

Gloomy and dramatic seems to get more weight than comic or lighter fare. To me these kinds of lists always suffer from that - if it was a music list them Radiohead would be higher up than, say, Chic, despite the fact that that is clearly nonsense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always think these things have a bias as well to what people believe they 'should' vote for, rather than what they like. There can be a big difference between what you enjoy and what you think is important/worthy, artistic merit. Of course it can all collide in rare cases but you look at some entries and think the voting skews towards having the right thing high up your list. For gaming I think you see it a bit with BotW, and I say that as somebody who voted for it in first place but hasn't finished it.

 

When it's films or movies Sgt Pepper or Raging Bull get trotted out, I'm not saying they're bad but they're the learned 'correct' answers to years of these things

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great to see Halt and Catch Fire in there, sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who's heard of that.

 

Surprised to see Game of Thrones so high. While the first few seasons were faultless, its reputation seems to have fallen off a cliff thanks to the way it ended. I wouldn't expect it to remain so high if this survey was repeated in a few years time.

 

Lost is kind of the same, it's maybe a bit higher than it deserved. In my mind it always sits with Battlestar Galactica as two amazing series that ended on weirdly religious notes. Maybe the Americans find this less jarring than the Brits do.

 

Two shows in the top ten I've never even heard of, though (The Leftovers and The Americans). Wasn't expecting that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rayn said:

As with any list it's impossible to agree 100% but then again, there are loads of series on that list I've not even heard about and others I'm flat out have no interest for. I think I should use this list to give some new series a chance.

No. 4 on the list, Fleabag, I haven't even heard about until now so I guess I need to check it out. 

No. 67 is a bit puzzling, to me, as it's a rather niche reality show. I haven't watched it so I can't comment on how good it is but in my mind I struggle to believe it's better than, say, Masterchef Australia which I rate among the very best reality shows ever, if not the best. 

 

Overall a good list and I've decided to give the following a chance over the nest few weeks: 
Fleabag
I May Destroy You
Babylon Berlin
Enlightened
Normal People

 

I'm not sure RuPaul's Drag Race is as niche as you think it is, especially among younger audiences. Contestants who appear on it can potentially end up with 2-3 million followers on Instagram and new episodes would regularly hit Netflix's top ten most watched charts on release.

 

It's an extremely good example of a reality TV show and I'm not at all surprised it's made the list. Partly because it's just extremely entertaining on its own merits and partly because it does feel genuinely 'important' in terms of providing a relatively mainstream platform for all sorts of issues - trans representation, HIV stigma, LGBTQ discrimination etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

 

 

Two shows in the top ten I've never even heard of, though (The Leftovers and The Americans). Wasn't expecting that.

 

Of the two I've only watched The Leftovers and I'd probably put it in my personal top 10 list, maybe even top 5. It's a great mixture of character drama, religion vs science, politics vs anarchy, everything sprinkled with a sheer amount of "wtf is actually going on". It possibly has my favourite ending of any series I've watched too. 

 

27 minutes ago, Majora said:

 

I'm not sure RuPaul's Drag Race is as niche as you think it is, especially among younger audiences. Contestants who appear on it can potentially end up with 2-3 million followers on Instagram and new episodes would regularly hit Netflix's top ten most watched charts on release.

 

It's an extremely good example of a reality TV show and I'm not at all surprised it's made the list. Partly because it's just extremely entertaining on its own merits and partly because it does feel genuinely 'important' in terms of providing a relatively mainstream platform for all sorts of issues - trans representation, HIV stigma, LGBTQ discrimination etc

 

Yeah, you'll have to excuse my ignorance and I didn't intend to downplay the impact of the series at all. It mostly boils down to my personal lack of interest in reality shows in general (unless it's food related) and that I'm totally oblivious to anything happening in the influencer and LGBTQ spheres. I'm slowly turning into a prime example of the "old man yells at cloud" meme :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Great to see Halt and Catch Fire in there, sometimes it feels like I'm the only person who's heard of that.

It was superb, but you're definitely not alone. There was a thread here for a start. :)

 

It was however rare case of a studio keeping a show going almost entirely due to critical acclaim over the number of viewers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

I always think these things have a bias as well to what people believe they 'should' vote for, rather than what they like. There can be a big difference between what you enjoy and what you think is important/worthy, artistic merit. Of course it can all collide in rare cases but you look at some entries and think the voting skews towards having the right thing high up your list. For gaming I think you see it a bit with BotW, and I say that as somebody who voted for it in first place but hasn't finished it.

 

When it's films or movies Sgt Pepper or Raging Bull get trotted out, I'm not saying they're bad but they're the learned 'correct' answers to years of these things

I agree there is a tendency towards an agreed list of dramas, mainly American dramas, that are above criticism somehow, even if, when you admit it to yourself, a lot of them had faults, weren't consistent, were liable to be run into the ground, or were the critic's flavour of the month at the time. There's plenty here on this list that deserve to be there, but there are always going to be shows that had popular appeal but not critical appeal. 

 

I'm just glad to see This Is England 86/88/90 on there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The trouble with these mega-lists (like those “1001 Films” etc books) is once you reach that sort of size you’re basically just listing everything ubiquitous followed by an arbitrary sprinkling of shows of niche interest.
 

I think seeing a few people’s top 10 lists would’ve been more interesting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.