IGNORED

The Spy Who Loved Me - it's not actually that good, is it?

Thor

As per the title, I finally got round to watching this as a genuine adult, having only ever seen it as a kid/teen. It's not that great, is it? Serious rose-tinted-specs going on with my love for both this film and Moore as bond. 

"Eqyption builders" ...  you couldn't get away with that now! I suppose you could rephrase that these days as "so much for Eqyption engineering", but even that is pushing it. And don't get me started on the misogyny, "women drivers" ... !

But the film as a whole ... it's a bit ... rubbish. Not much actually happens other than Bond getting in situations where he can potentially get his end away. With the end of the movie hitting the nail on the head, "just keeping the British end up, sir." 🙄

It's somewhat amusing, but not great. Thing is, I can see potential for a remake here, only trade the sea for space (yeah, Moonraker is bad too), and instead of missing nuclear subs, have missing satellites/space stations. Instead of Stromberg, have an American billionaire (aping Elon Musk) and switch the roles during much of the action and driving scenes so that it's the woman doing all the cool shit, and Bond practically shitting himself.

I ... may have been drinking ...

4 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Great theme song though, and car.

There's a mildly amusing, and somewhat horrifying (in hindsight) story about that car and me. I was obsessed with  that car as a kid, I adored it. So my dad suggested writing to ... wait for it ... Jim'll fucking Fix It, for me to go for a ride underwater in that car. That's right, me, as a small kid, underwater all alone in an enclosed space, with Jimmy fucking Saville! 😰

I would have squarely put myself in the 'not a fan' camp of this one and most of Rog's output, due to being subjected to endless repeats of them on ITV every Christmas, (some of them stretched to around four hours!).

But, me and the missus watched them all last year and the only one I still hated, was Moonraker.

Mainly because fuck all happens for most of it.

Even the much derided A View To a Kill was hilarious fun.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

"Eqyption builders" ...  you couldn't get away with that now! I suppose you could rephrase that these days as "so much for Eqyption engineering", but even that is pushing it. And don't get me started on the misogyny, "women drivers" ... !

You could though. I mean it's just a terrible one liner but it's not like it's devastatingly offensive or anything.

The latter, the "women drivers" - I haven't seen the film in years but doesn't she literally show Bond up for being a knob straight after by smashing Jaws with the truck?

It also inspired Hippocrates Noah and much of the plot for ‘Our Man Bashir’ a particularly enjoyable episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine, so gets kudos for that alone from me.

“The Spy Who Loved Me” is, by a country mile, the indisputable GOAT Bond theme song and always will be. Musically, lyrically, performance - just perfect.

Though Live and Let Die is a damn fine, if distant, second.

9 hours ago, Simmy said:

The latter, the "women drivers" - I haven't seen the film in years but doesn't she literally show Bond up for being a knob straight after by smashing Jaws with the truck?

Yes, eventually, but only after grinding the gears and making a hash of hitting Jaws. It's not just the comment from Bond.

I know I was drunk when I started this thread, but I stand by my assessment of this film. It's a bit naff, but does have a great song.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

The Egyptian authorities didn't allow it then, they had to mime the words and add in the sound after didn't they?

22 minutes ago, Jimmyzilla said:

The Egyptian authorities didn't allow it then, they had to mime the words and add in the sound after didn't they?

Oh don't know, not surprised if that's true, though. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

In fairness, grinding gears could be as much a comment on being an American "driving stick".

Someone in the Bond thread said all Bond’s quips in that scene were improvised by Roger Moore.

To be honest, there aren't that many Bond films that are good overall.

I started from the beginning watching them all (doing one a day) and after watching Goldeneye again today, I can say that in my opinion the only two overall good ones have been Never Say Never Again (I don't care that it's not an EON film), and Goldeneye.  I don't recall Brosnan's other Bond films being anywhere near as good overall as Goldeneye and I wasn't a fan of Craigs Bond (too moody).

Don't get me wrong, I do like them all for certain things, but I wouldn't say they were particularly good.  The 60's and 70's ones suffer from poor effects in particular (fight and chase scenes being noticably sped up are acutely annoying to me).

For Your Eyes Only is my favourite of Moore's Bond films. Yes, even though it has that Blofeld helicopter opening and the Thatcher phone call at the end! :o (Which of those villains is worse...?)

I like Live and Let Die more than The Spy Who Loved Me too.

I realise that those are the predictable choices of someone who, boringly, tends to prefer the ones that at least pretend to be Cold War spy films (From Russia With Love, The Living Daylights) to the ones with lots of gadgets and volcano bases.

I’ve never rated it that highly myself. LALD is miles better as is Octopussy. 

The villain is utterly unremarkable and Bach just isn’t very good. The Lotus is awesome and Jaws is great fun but they aren’t enough to raise it up to the classic status it seems to enjoy. I’m not a huge fan of the pre-credits sequence either. 

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

Christ man, Octopussy is terrible! Terrible! Other than the intro with a plane that comes out of a fake horse's arse, it's got nowt going for it.

an all-time low…

2 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Christ man, Octopussy is terrible! Terrible! Other than the intro with a plane that comes out of a fake horse's arse, it's got nowt going for it.

Bond dressed as a clown for the finale…seemed pretty apt.

I caught the last 45 minutes or so of Spy Who Loved Me about a year ago…fond nostalgic memories were erased by disappointing action, the battle on the tanker was epic in my memories but in reality it’s like the A-Team - tedious random wild firing, things blowing up, people flying through the air but with bog all connection. Bach is still lovely though and you can definitely see the genuine surprise on her face when that wave of water catches her at the end.

14 hours ago, The Disco said:

To be honest, there aren't that many Bond films that are good overall.

I started from the beginning watching them all (doing one a day) and after watching Goldeneye again today, I can say that in my opinion the only two overall good ones have been Never Say Never Again (I don't care that it's not an EON film), and Goldeneye.  I don't recall Brosnan's other Bond films being anywhere near as good overall as Goldeneye and I wasn't a fan of Craigs Bond (too moody).

Don't get me wrong, I do like them all for certain things, but I wouldn't say they were particularly good.  The 60's and 70's ones suffer from poor effects in particular (fight and chase scenes being noticably sped up are acutely annoying to me).

Isn't NSNA just Thunderball again?