Jump to content
IGNORED

Is that it for big games this year and is this lull temporary?


Sarlaccfood
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well, the reality is I have more than enough fun playing older games these days (currently being thoroughly entertained replaying Uncharted 4), and if the rumours are true, then there's a possibility that the Gears of War games might finally come out in some bizarre collection on the PC this year, then that'll do me nicely...

 

According to Eurogamer anyway.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, englishbob said:

Whatever happened to Metroid Prime 4


I imagine Switch’s extremely long shelf life has meant Retro being given a huge amount of leeway to take its time and get it right. 
 

With BotW 2 slated for next year, my guess would be 2024. Nintendo seem absolutely fine with spreading out tent pole releases evenly across the years. 
 

MP Trilogy HD Remake Collection, on the other hand - where the hell is that? Quite how the collective subconscious of geekdom has failed to will it into existence I have no idea. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, the_debaser said:


I mean Kirby came out shortly after and was much better. 
 

Lego Star Wars too. 

 

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/search/&q=kirby&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=326686

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/search/&q=lego&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=326686

0 hits (at time of posting). Meanwhile:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/search/&q=elden&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=326686

 

Get your vote in ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"That it for big games"? Well, aside from the not-E3 announcements we don't even know about yet, there's loads left:

 

Vampire: The Masquerade Swansong

Sniper Elite 5

Pac-Man Museum+

Capcom Fighting Collection

Two Point Campus

Saints Row

Sonic Origins

Mario Strikers

Forspoken

Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes

Touken Rambu Warriors

The Quarry

F1 22

Gotham Knights

Hogwarts Legacy

One Piece Odyssey

Sonic Frontiers

Live A Live

Marvel's Midnight Suns

Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Splatoon 3

Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

Advance Wars 1+2

Bayonetta 3

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope 

Metal Slug Tactics

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora

Grid Legends

Monster Hunter Rise - Sunbreak

STALKER 2

Diablo Immortal 

 

I assume by "no big games" you mean "no CoD or Halo".

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, englishbob said:

There's a COD each year like clockwork 

 

 I thought it was delayed to early 2023 this time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overworking staff to reach a deadline is terrible, and rushing games is as well, but at this point red flags have got raise about MS's ability to manage devs.


They've put out so very little over this and last generation.  These issues were present pre-covid. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, deKay said:

 

 I thought it was delayed to early 2023 this time?

 

I think it's still on-track for 2022 - they have 3,000 staff working on it - it was mentioned in the Activision board report recently - to make up for the disappointment that was Vanguard

 

https://docs.publicnow.com/viewDoc?hash_primary=9DA35650AB02663576DCF46EAE9FC6E22F746B26

 

Call of Duty, our largest franchise, continued to see the benefits of our initiatives to expand reach, engagement and player investment in 2021. The Warzone free-to-play experience continued to engage tens of millions of monthly players, including many in countries outside of our traditional regions, creating numerous opportunities for player investment in in-game content and our premium releases. While Call of Duty remains one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time, our 2021 premium release didn’t meet our expectations, we believe primarily due to our own execution. The game’s World War II setting didn’t resonate with some of our community and we didn’t deliver as much innovation in the premium game as we would have liked. We are certainly addressing both of these issues with the 2022 launch. Development on the 2022 premium and Warzone experiences is being led by Activision’s renowned Infinity Ward studio. We are working on the most ambitious plan in Call of Duty history, with over 3,000 people now working on the franchise and a return to the Modern Warfare setting that delivered our most successful Call of Duty title ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

Overworking staff to reach a deadline is terrible, and rushing games is as well, but at this point red flags have got raise about MS's ability to manage devs.


They've put out so very little over this and last generation.  These issues were present pre-covid. 

They didn’t have any devs pre-covid, did they? I thought they were supposedly heading in the right directions with all these acquisitions, but their games will take time. I guess we’ll see once the new games start appearing whether they’ve got it right now or not.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, englishbob said:

I'm looking forward to the following on the PS5...

 

Ridge Racer The Anthology

Gradius V remaster

Bloodborne Ragnarok 

Cave Shumps Collection 


Is the CAVE collection you’re referring to the PC/PS4 release of Deathsmiles 1&2?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

They didn’t have any devs pre-covid, did they?

 

They disbanded (or downsized) a lot of teams they'd bought previously, like Lionhead, Rare, BigPark, PressPlay, Twisted Pixel, etc. but I assume many of the devs from those teams just ended up in the big ol' Xbox Game Studios team.

 

They also had Obsidian, inXile, Double Fine, Playground Games, Ninja Theory and Mojang prior to COVID.

 

EDIT: And 343 and Turn 10, of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

 

They disbanded (or downsized) a lot of teams they'd bought previously, like Lionhead, Rare, BigPark, PressPlay, Twisted Pixel, etc. but I assume many of the devs from those teams just ended up in the big ol' Xbox Game Studios team.

 

They also had Obsidian, inXile, Double Fine, Playground Games, Ninja Theory and Mojang prior to COVID.

 

EDIT: And 343 and Turn 10, of course.

Well yeah, I know they had a few, just nowhere near what they've now got. Xbox was terribly managed before Phil got put in charge, so I'm still willing to give them some time to show the fruits of their labour. My patience won't last forever though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/05/2022 at 04:53, teddymeow said:

The fewer games that launch this year, the more of my backlog I can clear 

 

Great idea in theory, except for the fact that my backlog isn't going down because I've only been playing Elden Ring since February. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, deKay said:

"That it for big games"? Well, aside from the not-E3 announcements we don't even know about yet, there's loads left:

 

Grid Legends

 

First I'm hearing of this. Beloved February 2022 release Grid Legends is already getting a remake?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, englishbob said:

 

I think it's still on-track for 2022 - they have 3,000 staff working on it - it was mentioned in the Activision board report recently - to make up for the disappointment that was Vanguard

 

 

And it'll probably weigh in at 500gb for the download. Undoubtedly the biggest game of the year.

 

Also, three fucking thousand staff. Talk about too many cooks spoil the broth. Someone fire up the @rafaqatsignal to get it all in order 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 15/05/2022 at 22:08, englishbob said:

Ridge Racer The Anthology

 

The arcade version of Ridge Racer turns 30 next year. If nothing happens, they might be waiting for the JP Playstation release date. But if nothing happens then - surely one must pose this exact question to Bamco and Sony.

 

Spoiler

image.png.df7548fc1fd686c911ffc10eb42c2e8c.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Popo said:


 

MP Trilogy HD Remake Collection, on the other hand - where the hell is that? Quite how the collective subconscious of geekdom has failed to will it into existence I have no idea. 

 

And F Zero

And Wave Race

And Dino Crisis

And

And

And...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JPL said:

Well yeah, I know they had a few, just nowhere near what they've now got. Xbox was terribly managed before Phil got put in charge, so I'm still willing to give them some time to show the fruits of their labour. My patience won't last forever though.


He was made GM of Microsoft Studios in 2008 - 14 years ago. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:


He was made GM of Microsoft Studios in 2008 - 14 years ago. 

He wasn't running things when the Xbox One launched though, was he? Wan't that Steve Balmer or Don Mattrick? Whoever it was wanted it to be a set-top box rather than a console. I can't remember now.

 

I thought Phil only took over midway through the Xbox One's life and he started to push for things like the One S and X and focussed more on games?

 

Maybe you're right. It's not something I really look into. It's just things I think I remember from over the last few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JPL said:

He wasn't running things when the Xbox One launched though, was he? Wan't that Steve Balmer or Don Mattrick? Whoever it was wanted it to be a set-top box rather than a console. I can't remember now.

 

I thought Phil only took over midway through the Xbox One's life and he started to push for things like the One S and X and focussed more on games?

 

Maybe you're right. It's not something I really look into. It's just things I think I remember from over the last few years.


That press conference looms large in the minds of a tiny handful of people. Microsoft’s problems started years before that conference and persist today, at least to some extent. No one gives a toss their messaging on an unreleased machine was briefly wonky nearly a decade ago. Their problem has been games and Spencer has been at the helm of that ship for a considerable amount of time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:


That press conference looms large in the minds of a tiny handful of people. Microsoft’s problems started years before that conference and persist today, at least to some extent. No one gives a toss their messaging on an unreleased machine was briefly wonky nearly a decade ago. Their problem has been games and Spencer has been at the helm of that ship for a considerable amount of time. 

Which press conference?

 

Anyway, I was under the impression Spencer took over mid way through the Xbox One’s life, as I said. Is that not correct?

 

From then, they’ve consistently produced amazing hardware and they’ve been increasing their devs, so I can see it all coming to fruition soon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, JPL said:

Which press conference?

 

Anyway, I was under the impression Spencer took over mid way through the Xbox One’s life, as I said. Is that not correct?

 

From then, they’ve consistently produced amazing hardware and they’ve been increasing their devs, so I can see it all coming to fruition soon.

He's been one of the main guys since the OG Xbox, overseeing all the European MS game studios since Jan 2003, and then taking over the worldwide game studios in 2008/9 (around the time of Halo Wars when they had a big clearout of studios). Don shat the bed at the 2013 Xbox One launch, was out on his ear a month later, and that's when Phil took over everything including hardware.

 

*edit* although wiki says Don's direct successor was Julie Larson-Green and that Jason Holtman was head of MS studios until 2014, so LinkedIn and wikipedia are a bit confusing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Graham S said:

He's been one of the main guys since the OG Xbox, overseeing all the European MS game studios since Jan 2003, and then taking over the worldwide game studios in 2008/9 (around the time of Halo Wars when they had a big clearout of studios). Don shat the bed at the 2013 Xbox One launch, was out on his ear a month later, and that's when Phil took over everything including hardware.

Ah right. Hopefully it was Don holding him back then and now he’s in charge things will get better. I know it’s been a while now and he’s obviously addressed the hardware side of it excellently, but their studio acquisitions are quite recent, so hopefully the games will start to appear soon.

 

We’ll see soon enough I suppose. When is their summer show by the way, now there’s no E3?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.