IGNORED

Is that it for big games this year and is this lull temporary?

Sarlaccfood

Final Fantasy XVI is apparently in the final stretch as well, according to Yoshida, though it might be early 2023. Trailer soon apparently so we might know soon enough.

3 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Ulp, forgot about that! Hopefully I’ll be finished Elden Ring and Arceus by Christmas, and I’ll ask Santa for that. 

There's no games I'm looking forward to. Elden Ring is the only game I've wanted to play for a couple of years now. A new Elder Scrolls or Fallout might get me excited but I imagine they are both a way off as they are still making a ton of money with the online games in those series, probably. GTA 6 one day, I guess? 

Oh, Return to Monkey Island, of course. 

Feel like a right old fart - not interested in anything new, just want new versions of games I've played in the past, lol. 

I would love a new game/series to appear out of nowhere, like Dark Souls did 10 years ago (I missed Demon Souls) and renew my passion for AAA video gaming. I just don't know where it's going to come from. A few years ago I might have expected it to be something in VR but I think I've come to understand that VR is for short, immersive experiences rather than world-conquering epics. Maybe someone will finally crack it though, and create the first world-conquering epic VR game, and that will be the next Dark Souls-style game changer. 

After eventually completing Lego’s stonkingly mammoth Skywalker Saga, will still have AC Valhalla to finish and Cyberpunk to players. By which time hopefully Horizon Forbidden West will be reduced and keep me going well into the autumn.

Add Sniper Elite V and Two Point Campus arriving on GamePass soon and I’d be delighted with no more games appearing on my radar for the rest of the year.

Hmm, if you ask me, there's absolutely fuck all of note out for the remainder of the year. 2022 will go down as a really fucking shit year for gaming, with the only genuine highlights being a "safe" sequel to a Sony franchise (Horizon Forbidden West), an expansion to a game that originally released five fucking years ago (Witch Queen, Destiny 2) and pretty much fuck all on Xbox. 

A terrible state of affairs.

Elden Ring is overrated.

Edit:  There was a post in between my one above and this, which referenced "another game released in February". I can't remember who it was, and have no idea why they hid/deleted their post... 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I can't remember who it was, and have no idea why they hid/deleted their post... 🤷‍♂️

Hi, it was me! I hinted at Elden Ring being a significant release that helped to make this year less "shit", but removed my comment because I didn't want to be presumptuous about the interests of others - some people don't like the game, and that's fine. I didn't think my comment added to the discussion, so that's why I hid it.

8 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Elden Ring isn’t overrated, you just don’t rate it yourself. There’s a difference. 

Yes, alcohol may have influenced my post.

Meh, gamers keep demanding newer shinies, better tech etc without considering how this impacts on development costs and time. Making AAA games is a massively expensive soul destroying long slog of an affair that only a handful of studios have the resources to manage. Long gaps between big games is a consequence that gamers are going to have to get used to.

Plenty of decent indie titles, homebrew and B games on the Switch though. 

For what little it's worth three of the top five games in last year's GotY poll were announced during E3 season last year. 

The summer drought feels more severe this year because February and March were ludicrously stacked compared to most years.  

Summer games fest is around four weeks away and we'll see a clearer picture start to form for the rest of the year then. 

18 hours ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Xenoblade 3 and that’ll do me until January. 

Seconded!! I’m up to chapter 8 on 2, on a new game + run through, it’s a thing of beauty on this OLED ☺️☺️

3 hours ago, Benny said:

I mean woe betide anyone be forced to look at their "backlog"...

TBH, there's a reason I put the Steam Deck down as the only thing I wanted from this year :D

I'm sure in the next six months there's going to be a couple games from the left field that'll be ace, Indie wise. That and playing Elden Ring when it's a score will be more than enough.

Having perused the Game Informer release list of known announced titles which may or may not be released this calendar year, only Somerville and maybe Metal Slug Tactics caught my eye, so yeah, it probably is it for the rest of the year, especially if you require your games to have cost $50 Million+ to produce and actually be good.

Checking said Game Informer list, games I am interested in in rough chronological order that seem to be this year.

Vampire Masquerade Swansong

Sniper Elite 5

The Quarry

Fire Emblem Warriors

Xenoblade 3

Two Point Campus

Saints Row

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown

Stalker 2 (I really doubt this comes out this year though)

EDF6

Walking Dead Saints and Sinners 2

Replaced

Company of Heroes 3

I dunno, that seems like a pretty decent selection to me, even though obviously some of those won't come out this year and some will be disappointing. 

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Checking said Game Informer list, games I am interested in in rough chronological order that seem to be this year.

Stalker 2 (I really doubt this comes out this year though)

Already officially delayed indefinitely due to Putin.

The criteria in the OP is big games, which is generally code for very expensive to develop games, and the rest of the year is very light for those at present (though saying that, most of the examples he lists don't qualify). I assume Sony and Microsoft might be able to squeeze one in for the important buying frenzy season, but they haven't announced any as of yet, but they'll probably get at least one out for that time period to maximise sales potential.

EA's next major non-annual non-sports/racing game is currently scheduled for spring 2023, which seems to be the new Christmas period as everything ends up needing more polish time.

21 hours ago, Benny said:

Elden Ring is so good it scared off all the other games.

I'm not even joking, I think this is partially true.

I mean Kirby came out shortly after and was much better. 

Lego Star Wars too.