Retro Gamer 233 - Wipeout

Is it me, or does this issue feel much more flimsy than usual? Thinner paper?

Also Wipeout isn’t retro ;) 

5 hours ago, roobarb said:

Ooh where can I buy a copy of this print issue?

.. If I subscribe now will I get #233?

No, your subscription will likely start with #234 or #235 depending on how soon you take it out.

Homebrew this month looks at the ZX Dev 2021, interviews PICO-8 programmer Paul Nicholas and has an exclusive review of Montezuma’s Revenge for NES (currently funding on Kickstarter for physical copies, with original creator Robert Jaeger involved - https://bit.ly/montezuma-nes )

4 hours ago, deKay said:

I thought it was a Heavy Rain special at first. The envelope was torn and the mag was soaked with rain water when it dropped through the letter box. I'll definitely need to order a replacement this time.

8 hours ago, knightbeat said:

I thought it was a Heavy Rain special at first.

If that ever happens I'm cancelling my order and sending Strider a turd in the post every day for a year.

13 hours ago, deKay said:

At Future the policy is that if senior editorial team members get an extra pay rise the money must come out of the paper stock budget.  Darran’s Saturn collection must have got bigger recently.

On 11/05/2022 at 19:07, merman said:

No, your subscription will likely start with #234 or #235 depending on how soon you take it out.

Homebrew this month looks at the ZX Dev 2021, interviews PICO-8 programmer Paul Nicholas and has an exclusive review of Montezuma’s Revenge for NES (currently funding on Kickstarter for physical copies, with original creator Robert Jaeger involved - https://bit.ly/montezuma-nes )

Link not working :)

I really liked the article on Super Cars II. Andrew Morris has moved away from games, but is clearly still very enthused about them, and it was great to hear both him and Shaun Southern talking about the game so fondly. I had no idea there was a PC conversion of the game, with beefed-up visuals, better handling, and more variety. I'll have to see if there's an easy way of playing it on modern hardware.

Was it just my copy, or did something go wrong with the illustrations in that article? The screenshots all look quite distorted and discoloured.

2 hours ago, K said:

I really liked the article on Super Cars II. Andrew Morris has moved away from games, but is clearly still very enthused about them, and it was great to hear both him and Shaun Southern talking about the game so fondly. I had no idea there was a PC conversion of the game, with beefed-up visuals, better handling, and more variety. I'll have to see if there's aneasy way of playing it on modern hardware.

Was it just my copy, or did something go wrong with the illustrations in that article? The screenshots all look quite distorted and discoloured.

Some of the images are preproduction shots so they do look a little weird.

47 minutes ago, strider said:

Some of the images are preproduction shots so they do look a little weird.

Aaah, OK. You do say that in the caption to one of the pictures, so I'm clearly not paying attention.

How can this be out already? I just got my sub copy of the previous issue in the mail. Damn slow postage overseas. (And probably Brexit as well)

I subbed last month but mine starts next month which means I missed out on that fantastic cover 😍

MGS:TTS was done dirty in the Top 25 Gamecube games and I was surprised with the absense of Wave Race.

The water looked lush and it was still a great game. I think I put Wave Race into my top ten for it. It was definitely one of the first games I emulated to see what it was like in HD. 

1 hour ago, Colonel Panic said:

Blue Storm wasn’t as good as 64, which annoyed people, I think. I really enjoyed it personally, but wouldn’t put it in my top 25 either

Main problem with Blue Storm was that they replaced the minimalist control scheme of 64 with something more cumbersome and needlessly complicated. The track design wasn’t quite as good, either.

2 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Main problem with Blue Storm was that they replaced the minimalist control scheme of 64 with something more cumbersome and needlessly complicated. The track design wasn’t quite as good, either.

I think it worked as a good showcase of the system's capabilities but I think you're right, it can't really compete with the original.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/05/2022 at 21:45, Protocol Penguin said:

The handling never clicked for me, the graphics were bland compared to its predecessor, the voice sounded totally bored, the track design was worse - it's one of the most disappointing sequels ever.

On 11/05/2022 at 23:10, knightbeat said:

I thought it was a Heavy Rain special at first. The envelope was torn and the mag was soaked with rain water when it dropped through the letter box. I'll definitely need to order a replacement this time.

The mag replacement is not going well. They've sent the July issue of Mountain Biker Rider.

In case anyone is interested, MBR 277 offers to help you "Rubber up" with 10 of the best trail bike tyres and "get air with authority" on the cover.

35 minutes ago, knightbeat said:

The mag replacement is not going well. They've sent the July issue of Mountain Biker Rider.

In case anyone is interested, MBR 277 offers to help you "Rubber up" with 10 of the best trail bike tyres and "get air with authority" on the cover.

It's all well and good covering the magazine in something better for the environment, unless of course all that carbon used by the royal mail to bring it over just amounts to a dead tree getting chucked straight in the bin because it's in no state for recycling. 

It's a good job I don't collect and get the digital copy as I had to stick mine over the radiator.

I've just had it with my latest issue of PLAY. Came drenched, complained, they told it was out of print and they'd extend me by a month, probably going to cancel my PLAY sub.