IGNORED

EA ditches the FIFA licence

Isaac

8 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

That was my thought, it has to be one of the other big players to have gotten the license.

Either way it's going to be interesting next year (or whenever this happens) when you have both EA's football game and the new FIFA game on the market, which will sell better?

thing is, until yesterday, how much would you have upfront invested: there was a chance they’d both stick with the devil they knew.

18 months of development time to compete with the existing juggernaut doesn’t sound very plausible.

7 minutes ago, footle said:

thing is, until yesterday, how much would you have upfront invested: there was a chance they’d both stick with the devil they knew.

18 months of development time to compete with the existing juggernaut doesn’t sound very plausible.

Yeah, it seems more likely that they’ll make the WWE mistake and get a new dev team / publisher to rush something out that’s borderline broken in order to have a game released with the FIFA moniker on it in 2023. They’ll think they can’t miss a year and let EA gain the full foothold… which is probably true, to be honest.

Konami is the perfect partner for them, in my opinion - eFootball has flopped massively but could still be a good game given another year in the can. Although… er… maybe have some presentation stuff in the contract, eh? Make Konami hire some flashy UI and menu designers as part of any deal!

21 minutes ago, footle said:

Unless it's a brand that already has a game, Konami's PES maybe? They may not be able to offer the cash up front but a percentage of profit deal may sound appealing to FIFA after losing EA's game. Konami have been branching out to find a new way to compete in the footballing game market with free to play etc so might not be too far a stretch.

It's that or like others have said someone like Epic is throwing ridiculous amounts of money at it to try and create a real competitor to the EA game. If a viable alternative does come out from Fifa + other, EA Sports FC will really start to lose buyers, there has been such a downward trend in terms of quality and then there is the FUT / gambling aspect of it which keeps coming back as an issue that a lot of fans (especially as they get older) would be happy to try an alternative if there was one. So whilst it seems a huge own goal for Fifa at this stage it could really come back to bite EA yet (which wouldn't be good for them considering the cash cow that FUT is).

24 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Konami is the perfect partner for them, in my opinion - eFootball has flopped massively but could still be a good game given another year in the can. Although… er… maybe have some presentation stuff in the contract, eh? Make Konami hire some flashy UI and menu designers as part of any deal!

The problem is that apart from the World Cup, which is currently every 4 years, what does the FIFA licence actually bring to Konami? They’re not getting any extra leagues, player likenesses or teams that they already have. So why would Konami pay a billion to get 2 World Cup games?

It just smacks of FIFA again thinking they’re more important/relevant than they actually are. People might have been buying the FIFA name 30 years ago when it was really based on a World Cup style of game, but they’re not buying it for that now. 

FIFA is run by fuckwits that are purely money-driven - the world cup in Qatar is evidence of that. There is no chance in hell that FIFA have got another dev lined up with a game already in development; they just wanted more money from EA, "because they're FIFA". 

Twats. :lol:

Also, thread title really needs to change. 

20 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I mentioned a new football game coming soon I thought existed, it was this called UFL from a Belarusian dev - this seems a contender for FIFA to cosy up with in a common goal to beat EA and they already have a FIFPro license in place for player likenesses.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ufl-united-football-league-video-game-price-trailer-consoles-players-clubs

I'm not sure even FIFA will welcome the pr nightmare of working with a Belarusian comoany.

• Isaac changed the title to EA ditches the FIFA licence
1 hour ago, gone fishin said:

The problem is that apart from the World Cup, which is currently every 4 years, what does the FIFA licence actually bring to Konami? They’re not getting any extra leagues, player likenesses or teams that they already have. So why would Konami pay a billion to get 2 World Cup games?

It just smacks of FIFA again thinking they’re more important/relevant than they actually are. People might have been buying the FIFA name 30 years ago when it was really based on a World Cup style of game, but they’re not buying it for that now. 

I reckon the FIFA branding would still help a new owner sell loads more games than a generic name. EA has built its football games to a point where they think they don't need the moniker in order to sell what they did before. For Konami, though, the FIFA name could be a real leg-up as a sign of legitimacy for what has so far been a disastrous rebranding exercise.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if FIFA's hubris leads to them trying to do it themselves by basically controlling the entire process, rather than just being the name on the box and having (I presume) right of veto and annoying sign-off on the feature set from EA. I can see them using this as an opportunity to become the publisher of their own new branded game and completely controlling a dev team's work. If so, I anticipate a car crash - licencing to Konami is a better idea for both parties imo.

It’s quite astonishing that FIFA gets paid so much money for another company to essentially market their ’brand’. Without the games, most people would only hear about them during a World Cup or in a negative press article. And they were getting paid for that.

They had it so good and now they’ve totally fucked it.

I think FIFA branding will sell a game regardless of its quality which is exactly what FIFA themselves are betting on. Remember that football games are bought by a huge player base of non "hardcore" gamers who won't be clued up to the circumstances etc.

Of course, if the resultant game turns out as bad as something like eFootball was at launch (and gets widely reported/memed) then this may change. I suppose the question is, does the EA brand carry the same kind of weight for casual gamer football fans (the answer is probably yes?).

Smart by EA, and two fingers to FIFA is always welcome.

As for it spurring competition, I really don't think any publisher out there is saying "well, we weren't going to make a football game but now this license is free let's blow hundreds of millions of quid and make one on the off chance we get a bit of the left over brand recognition from the old FIFAs".

2 hours ago, Luseth said:

Unless it's a brand that already has a game, Konami's PES maybe? They may not be able to offer the cash up front but a percentage of profit deal may sound appealing to FIFA after losing EA's game. Konami have been branching out to find a new way to compete in the footballing game market with free to play etc so might not be too far a stretch.

It's that or like others have said someone like Epic is throwing ridiculous amounts of money at it to try and create a real competitor to the EA game. If a viable alternative does come out from Fifa + other, EA Sports FC will really start to lose buyers, there has been such a downward trend in terms of quality and then there is the FUT / gambling aspect of it which keeps coming back as an issue that a lot of fans (especially as they get older) would be happy to try an alternative if there was one. So whilst it seems a huge own goal for Fifa at this stage it could really come back to bite EA yet (which wouldn't be good for them considering the cash cow that FUT is).

It's a slightly different version of this but look at the PGA Tour golf game at the moment. EA's golf games got worse as time went on, putting more and more courses as DLC. Then The Golf Club comes along, playing a no-nonsense game of golf, showing up just how hackneyed the EA games had become. Now The Golf Club has the PGA license, plays a great game of golf. 

I'm no computer football player but even I can see there's potential for a developer with good ideas to come in and get it back to basics, create a game that just plays a good game of football. 

27 minutes ago, Vimster said:

I'm no computer football player but even I can see there's potential for a developer with good ideas to come in and get it back to basics, create a game that just plays a good game of football. 

Oh, most definitely, but they likely won't seek the FIFA branding when FIFA want $1billion every four years just to put the name on the title screen. Not happening. 

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Oh, most definitely, but they likely won't seek the FIFA branding when FIFA want $1billion every four years just to put the name on the title screen. Not happening. 

Right, but if FIFA did it themselves and- no, of course not, FIFA aren't known for the business acumen, and my lawyers have edited the rest of this comment out. 

2 hours ago, Jg15 said:

I think FIFA branding will sell a game regardless of its quality which is exactly what FIFA themselves are betting on. Remember that football games are bought by a huge player base of non "hardcore" gamers who won't be clued up to the circumstances etc.

Of course, if the resultant game turns out as bad as something like eFootball was at launch (and gets widely reported/memed) then this may change. I suppose the question is, does the EA brand carry the same kind of weight for casual gamer football fans (the answer is probably yes?).

That's all marketing. I'm willing to bet casuals are just as familiar with the term 'EA' as 'FIFA' in association with that game series. The name EA is plastered everywhere iirc/afaik within the game. I reckon that with good marketing (hell they could even advertise the name change within the older games themselves) that emphasizes "THIS IS THE ONE WITH ULTIMATE TEAM" and subsequently also put "ULTIMATE TEAM" prominently somewhere on the box, they'll be totally fine even with the  most casual players.

EA are savvy enough to realise when people were buying FIFA games, it wasn't because they were enticed by the idea of Sepp Blatter's seal of approval.

There aren't going to be large numbers of people following the licence wherever it ends up. They'll still end up playing the heavily marketed game with all the leagues, clubs and players, as ever.

I'd quite like a proper historical World Cup game. Play through any of the world cups with accurate kits, players and presentation. But that would obviously be incredibly niche and wouldn't even be possible with just the FIFA license anyway...

I think the only risk is basically the mistaken purchase. Parents, grand parents, slightly silly kids, who just buy "the FIFA" and end up with the wrong game.

Reality though is that I don't see anything coming out in the right timeframe or the right weight behind it to gather any reasonable number of those mistakes to make it worth it. We're not talking about it being available online but rather in every supermarket, every shop across the land where people can pick it up from.

And for any new or existing alternatively football game developer, I suspect that beyond the above mistaken purchases, the FIFA licence is basically worth nothing. It doesn't come with the clubs or a huge set of competitions. The World Cup basically. It's a nice crowning element for the game that has every other licence so it can be "THE" football game but on it's own it's just a bit pants.

2 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I'd quite like a proper historical World Cup game. Play through any of the world cups with accurate kits, players and presentation. But that would obviously be incredibly niche and wouldn't even be possible with just the FIFA license anyway...

Viva Football, only good!

3 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Didn't that kind of happen at one point? I'm sure one of the old FIFA World Cup games allowed you to at least play historical finals or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Didn't that kind of happen at one point? I'm sure one of the old FIFA World Cup games allowed you to at least play historical finals or something like that.

World Cup 98 had some historic finals.

Viva Football had every World Cup from 1958 to the then-current 1998 tournament, including full qualifiers.

Alas, you just had to hoof the ball forward all the time, whatever era you were in.

2 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

World Cup 98 had some historic matches.

I think that's the one I'm thinking of. My brother had the PC version at the time.

I'm obviously not of the same opinion as most in here.

People buy FIFA, they call it FIFA. The football game that everyone buys is FIFA. The game that people ask others if they play is FIFA.

Seriously, are you telling me that locally to you people say things like "Do you play EA FIFA?" to each other at the pub? or "mate I had a banging match on the EA football game last night"?

FIFA may be a corrupt organisation and trying to outreach their value but FIFA is the brand of football game right now and that is going to be massive to shift.

Now, if EA had gone with FUT, UT or Ultimate Team then they would have been better positioned to deal with the issue. But no, there using a name that a only a tiny minority of the FIFA player base will recognise.

Currently, people don't play a football game, they play FIFA.

3 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

When the name changes, people go with it. See the CM - FM change. 

Even with a much smaller and dedicated fanbase, that transition still wasn't easy and took years to properly take hold. I remember at the time having to explain it over and over to people and some still bought champ manager, even after the situation being explained.

20 years later it is easy to forget that the transition was hard and took years and years to fully get back to normal.