IGNORED

EA ditches the FIFA licence

Isaac

31 minutes ago, Siri said:

Yeah, that's the real shocker out of this - Even if the game mode is gross microtransaction gambling hell, it's absolutely synonymous with EA's football games at this point and would have been a slam dunk to just rebrand it as that overall. I guess they want to expand the mode to their other sports games (even if that in itself is, well, disconcerting to consider)

I don't disagree but Madden Ultimate Team and NHL Ultimate Team are already things to be fair.

12 minutes ago, bear said:

I'm guessing they have to be going into a partnership with someone to make that happen. I'm sure Take 2 would love to have a big football game each year but I can't see them agreeing to FIFAs terms. 

Might be imagining this but isn’t there some well funded big indie studio working on a new football game they say will take on the established players.

For a 2024 release they need something in flight really I’d say

They should go all in on the naming though, Gianni Infantino’s FIFA 24 plus all the grounds should be in despot regimes, like Russia & Qatar

4 hours ago, Halo said:

Just saw they are calling it EA Sports FC which is an awful awful name.

It is a terrible name but I imagine it will be marketed as EAFC which works pretty well tbh.

1 hour ago, Halo said:

I don't disagree but Madden Ultimate Team and NHL Ultimate Team are already things to be fair.

Call it Football Ultimate Team and then you get to keep the FUT abbreviation and everything. 

1 hour ago, Rex Grossman said:

Whoever does end up with the the FIFA licence won’t want to call their game FIFA anyway.

FIFA will want them to call

the game FIFA

Just like the FIA/FOM probably insist on F1 games having “F1” in the name, regardless of psygnosis/EA/codemasters publishing the game

I gave Fifa a go on PS Plus and it's fecking terrible.

Everyone who plays it has been scammed. Your not really playing it, it plays itself and don't give me that bollox about you "actually knowing football tactics unlike most people" 

Now if someone can make a decent NFL game that would be cool

1 minute ago, Harrisown said:

I gave Fifa a go on PS Plus and it's fecking terrible.

Everyone who plays it has been scammed. Your not really playing it, it plays itself and don't give me that bollox about you "actually knowing football tactics unlike most people" 

Now if someone can make a decent NFL game that would be cool

a game, based on a game, based on a playbook, will, by definition, “play itself” there’s no direct input required.

2 hours ago, Ry said:

Konami to buy the license and re-release PES 4,5 or 6 in HD with full fifa license.

One can dream. 

Still playing PES 5 to this day. It's still light years ahead of any other football game. 

From the sounds of it, it wouldn't add much. EA have been claiming that all they really got out of the license was the brand name, with all the real teams being the result of loads of individual licensing deals.

4 hours ago, teddymeow said:

"EA Sports. It's in the (slightly differently named) game!"

Unless It’s Manchester United Or Juventus.

2 minutes ago, deKay said:

Unless It’s Manchester United Or Juventus.

You genius!

image.jpeg.b73414b1e0f5e63108c82498818979d9.jpeg

This but a version for every club in every league, and you have to buy each team individually.

DLC! Micro transactions! NFTs!

Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, said:

"I can assure you that the only authentic, real game that has the FIFA name will be the best one available for gamers and football fans. The FIFA name is the only global, original title. FIFA 23, FIFA 24, FIFA 25 and FIFA 26, and so on - the constant is the FIFA name and it will remain forever and remain THE BEST."

id assumed this was a spoof, but it’s in the fifa site.

For one thing, there’s many other year on year constants about FIFA (the game, the governing body).

41 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

It is a terrible name but I imagine it will be marketed as EAFC which works pretty well tbh.

I would imagine (hope?) it will just be “FC 23” etc akin to the other games. All their major franchises, including FIFA, are technically prefixed wirh “EA Sports” already.

Using an acronym handily sidesteps localisation issues which is probably why they chose it.

2 hours ago, Ry said:

Konami to buy the license and re-release PES 4,5 or 6 in HD with full fifa license.

One can dream. 

Still playing PES 5 to this day. It's still light years ahead of any other football game. 

Cross promotion with Fortnite where every time you load up Fortnite you get nuked by Adriano with 99 shot power.

6 minutes ago, Halo said:

Using an acronym handily sidesteps localisation issues which is probably why they chose it.

30 minutes ago, Mogster said:

From the sounds of it, it wouldn't add much. EA have been claiming that all they really got out of the license was the brand name, with all the real teams being the result of loads of individual licensing deals.

Indeed, the FIFA license is just a brand. When they started, EA thought FIFA was the footballing equivalent of the NFL or NHL - get the license, obtain the rights to everything. 

They soon realised football didn't work like that, so the first few games had fictional players including the development team.

I don't see this move hurting EA at all. There isn't a competing title any more after PES's implosion, and fans of the game will just continue as Championship Manager fans did when SI split with Eidos and had to rename their game - a move that did no harm at all.

The only interesting question is if FIFA have quietly partnered with a major player (someone like 2K or maybe Epic) that will throw money at making a legit EA Sports FIFA competitor, giving FIFA either part ownership or a gross cut.

If they have, such a game would have had to have been in the works for several years already and you would have thought we’d have heard about it by now, but you never know.

FIFA Delegate 2030 where you play a potential host nation with a lot of cash to either divert into an official’s hands, buy slaves or hire Jermaine Jenas. Stamina bar based on how successful you are at sportswashing your abysmal human rights record.

Football games have been dire for the last two decades, haven’t enjoyed one since the PES/Winning eleven days of the PS2/GC. It’s a shame as there used to be so many varied games football but EA have completely monopolised a whole gaming genre for the best part of two decades which is wild. 

No one is going to pay for the FIFA licence but hope that someone finally throws their hat in the ring. Maybe we’d finally get to enjoy a proper footy game that isn’t a boring micro transaction hell hole. 

FIFA is fucking shite anyway, anything that might convince people to drop EA's predatory games is a plus. I doubt it'll dent it though, sadly. Be interesting to see what hot garbage the organisation will lend their name to, probably loads of mobile guff.

Hang on (again), does this mean the official FIFA branded game will have fake player names and teams if EA has the rights to all that?

26 minutes ago, AI said:

Hang on (again), does this mean the official FIFA branded game will have fake player names and teams if EA has the rights to all that?

Not necessarily - depends on if the licenses are exclusive. Pes has had real players and some real teams at the same time as FIFA. 

8 hours ago, Halo said:

The only interesting question is if FIFA have quietly partnered with a major player (someone like 2K or maybe Epic) that will throw money at making a legit EA Sports FIFA competitor, giving FIFA either part ownership or a gross cut.

If they have, such a game would have had to have been in the works for several years already and you would have thought we’d have heard about it by now, but you never know.

That was my thought, it has to be one of the other big players to have gotten the license.

Either way it's going to be interesting next year (or whenever this happens) when you have both EA's football game and the new FIFA game on the market, which will sell better?

• Isaac changed the title to EA ditches the FIFA licence