IGNORED

NASCAR Heat 5

Valver

I know a few of us PC racers are looking for a different game to play during our ACC off weeks.  @Meers suggested this game.

I've installed it and played a few hours of the championship.  Lots of fun.  Very, very, very American.  🦅🇺🇸

Lets hear your thoughts! @davejm , @SneakyNinja and co...

I was surprised after doing about 10 oval dirt races to suddenly end up at a proper race track with corners!  It made me chuckle that the only tarmac bit is the long straight, and that's because it's actually a 1/4 mile drag strip.

Mostly been messing around getting the wheel settings dialed in, but I started the career mode and did the first couple of dirt ovals too. 

Playing on hard mode and I finished 17th and then 10th in the first two races, but in the third race I was struggling to get the practice time goal before finishing for lunch.

I changed it to the full qualifying session and 25% race distance to extend things out a bit for next time I play.

It's really fun!

Because it doesn't support VR, I'm going to have proper aggro getting my wheel/rig into a spot where I can see my monitor properly.  So for now I've been playing it on an Xbone pad at my desk.  #heresey #notreallyasim

I've just made the jump up from the Dirt racers to the NASCAR pickup trucks on proper tarmac ovals.  And its suddenly a completely different game.  Drafting appears to be a massive factor that wasn't in the Dirt cars - my controller vibrates when I'm picking up the draft from the car in front...  interesting.

I wonder what the multiplayer is like?!

Played it a bit more, but most of it spent trying to beat the practice time goal for the third dirt race.  Gave up after getting within a tenth, but in that time I've switched to Expert handling mode and fiddled with the setup of the car to get a bit closer to the goal. 

Skipped ahead to qualifying and managed to come in tenth, then finished third in the race.  It's really fun throwing these cars around the dirt ovals.

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

How does this play with a controller? Tempted to try on the Deck

Plays just fine!  Its sim-cadey enough that its not a massive disadvantage over a wheel I think

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to this on Steam Deck and really enjoying it. Had a few single races but going to start a career soon I think.

17 hours ago, bradigor said:

Finally got round to this on Steam Deck and really enjoying it. Had a few single races but going to start a career soon I think.

How does it run on deck? I see it's only £1.30 at Eneba and wouldn't mind a racing game to play with friends. 

Oh, I have zero friends on steam as not been a PC guy since the 90s so wouldn't mind playing a few games. :)

I hadn't thought of that! I'll see if I can edit it :lol:

It's a tough game though, isn't it? Even finding consistent lines (only done dirt tracks so far, you gotta turn right to go left...) Is really challenging.

And all the music, it really does go all in.

How detailed are the physics in this game? Drafting, tyre wear, setups and damage are very important in oval racing. iRacing does ovals allright but I feel that compared to more recent driving sims its in many ways outdated and tyres are like 4 cheese blocks

I watched some gameplay videos and I think I need this for some single player no brains needed fun. Yeehaw. Will report back later.

Allright, I started career in Trucks series and 7 or 8 races trying out different settings.

+we're turning left yeehaw

+dynamics of oval racing seem to work okay.  Theres draft and tyre wear and often multiple lines seem to be fast instead of just bottom. Taking air from car ahead doesnt seem to work but I didnt expect it to. Setups and driving effect tyre wear.

+Career and championship modes seem okay. Theres car development, friends and rivals, contracts, bonuses etc

+AI seems okay, they are not on rails but keep driving different lines(depending on tyre wear and driver, or randomly?), race each other and give space to player. Some seem more aggressive and drive closer, some are more careful

+AI is customizable, AI vs. player balance can be tuned and of course race rules are all there and they are customizable so you can have full length 600 mile race without stages!

Physics seem quite simple. There are no cold tyres, driving is quite forgiving. There is a extensive setup menu but you can only save 2 custom setups(race and quali) per track. What each setting does isnt explained anywhere and changing things other than grille tape, steering offset and wedge didnt seem to effect handling or speed much. There might be a lot going on under the hood and more testing needs to be done. Maybe all the setup things have more effect in Cup cars than Trucks. Steam community seems to have zero discussion on setups so either fine tuning is useless or I'm the only one who cares.

-FFB is poor. It does convey tyre wear with weird vibration and grip level with heaviness of centering force but it cant be tuned and there doesnt seem to be anything for sliding or understeer or aero wash.

-Controller settings are extremely simple. No response curves, no deadzones, there isnt even a test screen

-Field of view is fixed and I dont think there is VR either. Limited video settings

-multiplayer with randoms is worthless bumper cars experience

-you dont get to drive in pits or during yellows