IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And do please make sure you copy the titles directly from Wikipedia. This is case sensitive as well and a lot of entries are still different. I have hundreds of individual game entries to deal with already :lol:

Don't worry this isn't my nominations, just a preliminary batcg of possible contenders dumped so can work through later

Zelda: Breath of the Wild, OoT, Majora's Mask

Mario Kart 64, MK8

Super Mario 64, World, Odyssey 

Resident Evil 4

GTA V, San Andreas 

Halo: CE, 3, ODST, Reach 

The Last of Us

Tetris

Super Meat Boy

Portal 2

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow 

Timespltters 2

Sonic 2, Mania

Marble Blast Ultra

Rocket League

Celeste 

SoR4 

Fable 

Burnout 3

Perfect Dark

Pokemon 

Warioware 

Yoshis Island 

Smash Bros

Pokemon Go

Plok

Thps2 

Xiii

Hidden in plain sight

Mirrors Edge

Snowboard Kids

L4D2

2 minutes ago, Azrael said:

:lol:

Is Pokemon Red and Pokemon Blue separate games? Noticed couple of people have nominated them as one. 

The Wikipedia entry says "Pokémon Red and Blue" - so that resolves itself.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Clash Royale

3. Mario Kart 8

4. Super Mario 64

5. ModNation Racers

6. Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020 video game)

7. Splatoon 2

8. Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City 

9. Wave Race 64

10. Wii Sports

11. Rocket League

12. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

13. Super Mario Kart

14. Crackdown

15. Super Mario Galaxy

16. Pilot Wings 64

17. Just Cause 2

18. New Star Manager (Switch)

19. Super Bomberman

20. Mass Effect 2

I always struggle a bit with this as there are games I greatly admire but don't actually enjoy playing as much as less crafted ones which I play far more. So my list is a bit of a mish mash of stuff.

My no1 is one of those games I have conflict with, I've never finished it, the weapons breaking annoy me a bit but I have no doubt it's the 'best' most crafted and probably most important game ever made. I've got a good chunk of time in it and it's top place is almost a combination of my actual enjoyment plus admiration for the achievement.

Clash Royale is one for the pure enjoyment front, it's a brilliant phone game which I've played every day without fail for over 6y. It's a great concept and been an inspiration to countless other phone games, many of which just rip it off hugely.

Modnation Racers is a long time fave, it's not the best kart game of course from a pure racing perspective, but it was no slouch on that front, but the user generated content & tools were simply better than any other game that did that sort of thing. The tools were incredibly accessible but enabled you to create tracks just like those in game, and perform a huge level of customisation to your vehicles. One of the few games I got over 100h playtime on.

Flight Sim isn't really a game, more a software toy, but I don't care. I think it's one of the most ambitious and most incredible bits of software I've ever used, and it runs on a console under my tv in 4k. The level of detail and scale for both cities and the natural world is jaw dropping, I don't tend to find story or narrative in games very moving or interesting, this though evokes all sorts of emotion and wonderment if you have the time to put in. 

Splatoon 2 is the only shooter I've ever loved, I've no time for space marines or army men fighting with guns, but the paint based gameplay and coverage vs kills aspect of the game meant even an old git like me who wanted to sit back and OCD paint the floor could be an MVP in a team. 

New Star Manager is my most played game on Switch, and was a return to form and reputation after the scandal of the iOS NSS game. I can't do the big full on footy manager games, but loved every minute of taking my fictional team from non league to kings of europe.

By the way, anyone else who posts trolling entries: instant disqualification from voting rights. :P

You have been warned.

1. Elden Ring

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. Super Mario World

4. Super Street Fighter II Turbo

5. Super Mario Galaxy

6. Super Mario 64

7. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

8. OutRun 2

9. Tetris (Game Boy video game)

10. Quake III Arena

11. Rez (video game)

12. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

13. Returnal

14. Dark Souls

15. TxK

16. Wii Sports Resort

17. Doom (1993 video game)

18. Mario Kart 8

19. Sega Rally 

20. Rhythm Tengoku

2 hours ago, Lyrical Donut said:

. The Adventures of Cookie & Cream

No fucking way. I worked on the PAL version of this and have literally never seen or heard any mention of it on any media anywhere. I assumed no one outside of the publisher and developer had heard of it, let alone played it.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

2. Dark Souls

3. Ico 

4. Super Mario World

5. Super Metroid

6. Bloodborne

7. Resident Evil 4

8. Super Mario 64

9. Halo: Combat Evolved

10. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 

11. Pokemon Red and Blue

12. Super Mario Kart

13. Yoshi's Island

14. F-Zero GX

15. Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

16. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

17. Super Mario Galaxy

18. Metroid Prime 

19. Returnal (video game) 

20. Tetris Effect

@Lyrical Donut - that looks a lot like a trolling entry. I wasn't joking, trolling entries will be ignored and the votes forfeited.

Funny as I'm sure it might be, all any more trolling is doing is going to be wasting my time for me and making this not as much fun to actually do in the long run. If it's more time consuming or annoying collating the data then I'll probably just end up listing the results rather than spending time on write-ups.

A bit off the topic, but is it actually possible to find Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast for PC anymore? I keep seeing it come up in these kind of things and I want to play it.

5 minutes ago, Benny said:

A bit off the topic, but is it actually possible to find Outrun 2: Coast 2 Coast for PC anymore? I keep seeing it come up in these kind of things and I want to play it.

It's on archive. Although it's supposedly a pain to get running. 

I use emulation and play the PSP or PS2 version on my phone. (Using a Nacon mgx controller grip)

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Elden Ring

3. Final Fantasy VII

4. Minecraft

5. World of Warcraft

6. Stardew Valley

7. Fallout 3

8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

9. Super Metroid

10. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

11. Metroid Prime

12. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

13. Mario 64

14. Final Fantasy VI

15. Red Dead Redemption 2

16. Suikoden 2

17. The Binding of Isaac (video game)

18. Mass Effect 2

19. Super Mario Galaxy

20. Super Mario Odyssey

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Sea of Thieves

3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

4. Streets of Rage 2

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

7. Hades (video game)

8. Halo: Combat Evolved

9. Grand Theft Auto V

10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

11. Mass Effect 2

12. Red Dead Redemption

13. Super Mario Galaxy

14. Forza Horizon 5

15. Spider-Man (2018 video game)

16. It Takes Two (video game)

17. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

18. Mario Kart 8

19. God of War (2018 video game)

20. Doom Eternal

Here's mine.  I think I'm the first person to include Sea of Thieves which I always think is criminally underrated, especially now there's SO much content that's been added since launch.  BOTW is streets ahead of anything else IMO.

Confession: I have never once played any Souls game, and I don't yet have Elden Ring.  Going by some of the big open world games on my list, I *think* I'll really enjoy it so I intend to give it a go later this year so I don't completely miss the hype train when the GOTY 2022 thread starts.

Well - it's just timeless, isn't it?  Since the last voting in 2017 I've upgraded from a Wii U to a Switch and played it all over again, finding areas I never discovered the first time around.  I'll never forget a line from the IGN review which sums up why I love this game so much: "if you think something might work, it usually does'.  It's a behemoth of a game which has had so much love, care and attention sprinkled over it.

2. Sea of Thieves

I'll always keep coming back to this because every time I take a break and return, new stuff is added which enriches the gorgeous world even further. The devs have done a wonderful job of improving and expanding the game. Sea of Thieves is so special because no 2 sessions are the same.  You've no idea what will happen when you first set sail from an outpost - be it PVP, PVE, something combining both, making friends with random crews, epic sea battles etc etc.  This also rated so highly on my list because now, my son joins me as my crewmate and there's something very special about connecting with your offspring in a hobby you both love.

3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

The game that got me into online shooters and very very late night with little sleep.  Shame the franchise has gone downhill so much since - sometimes less is more.

4. Streets of Rage 2

12 year old me couldn't believe how much a sequel could improve over the original, and it still plays well today - the proof of this was how well received the excellent SOR4 has been - a game that replicates the feel of a game that's pushing 30 years old.  Yes, SOR4 improves a lot over the previous instalments, but it was back on the Megadrive where my true love for this series began. 

5. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Got massively into this when it first came out - talking to friends about their own Skyrim adventures the next day just made me thirsty for more, and I couldn't stop playing this until I'd hit the 1000 achievement points mark.

6. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

No-one has ever done Star Wars as well since Bioware's effort back in 2003.  Not even Fallen Order which was okay, but the incredible characters and immersive environments of KOTOR were so good - backed up by one of the greatest Star Wars stories ever written - means that KOTOR has to sit high up on my list.

7. Hades (video game)

I genuinely doubted the RLLMUK hive mind on this one.  "No way could such a simple concept be THAT good", I thought.  Well blow me sideway because it IS that good, and it really isn't that simple a concept either, not when you get into it, learn the very precise skillsets needed for each weapon, against each enemy type, combined with each boon etc etc etc.  Before you know it, you're 50+ runs into the game, bedtime passed long ago and you still have another 5 runs to attempt.  Maybe 10.  15....?  Everything about this game oozes class and now it's on Game Pass with that lovely sweet 60fps, it's even better.

8. Halo: Combat Evolved

A series I love has never actually managed to improve on this incredible introduction.  I adored playing it back on the MCC and really hope that at some point, 343i can recapture the feeling of scale and story that the original Halo brought to the table.  

9. Grand Theft Auto V

I bounced off GTA IV somewhat, but loved the story and mission variety of the sequel, particularly the 3 main characters (as awful as they were as human beings).  The presentation of San Andreas is one of the best sandboxes in video games, and I was surprised how fresh and polished it looked when I played through it again last year when it arrived on Game Pass.

10. Assassin's Creed Odyssey

By far the best entry in the series which is mainly due to the fact I'm a nerd for Ancient Greek history and architecture, but also because the protagonist Cassandra (if you played as the Alexios, delete your save file now and restart the game - thank you) is very awesome too.  Yes, this is gigantic and yes, there can be daunting with all the icons, side quests, main missions, points of interest etc etc but if you love the world, love the lore, love the combat and love exploring, the huge scope of the whole thing is the absolute opposite of a turn-off.  Worth mentioning the superb DLC which is well worth checking out.

11. Mass Effect 2

My favourite entry in the series got a 2nd play through with the Legendary Edition last year but this is all about the first time I played this epic space adventure, the delightful supporting cast and one of the most daring and emotional missions I've ever played through.

12. Red Dead Redemption

Although I'm still to play through RDR2, the original remains an all time favourite because the atmosphere it created works perfectly with the engaging story, beautiful landscapes and perfectly pitched music.  The moment I reached Mexico and Jose Gonzalez' tremendous musical number playing in the background remains an all time favourite gaming highlight.

13. Super Mario Galaxy

I loved Odyssey but I think the original Galaxy game was the one Mario game that made me realise how perfect he is for 3D platforming.  I also think this is the cleverest Mario game, a title that properly utilised the Wii's control system and made for hour upon hour of smiling. 

14. Forza Horizon 5

Had to include a Horizon game - this title above any other has shown just how impressive the Series X is.  Mexico is the prettiest Horizon location yet and whilst the formula remains the same as it's been throughout the series, I think the 5th title looks, sounds and plays better than any other.

15. Spider-Man (2018 video game)

The first (and to date ONLY!) game I've achieved a Platinum Trophy for.  The best superhero game out there, with a story as good as any of the MCU films, which is joyous fun from the first moment.  New York is gorgeously realised and it's so easy to forget what specific mission you're doing by getting completely carried away with swinging between skyscrapers, plummeting towards the sidewalk before shooting back up and over another tall building - it's incredibly satisfying.  The fact that combat and stealth missions are just as fun makes it even better.

16. It Takes Two (video game)

I played this with my 11 year old daughter and we had SUCH a laugh together.  Each level manages to offer something completely different in terms of game mechanics, it looks beautiful throughout and of the 6 people I know who have played through it (including us), every one of us has a different favourite level.  Didn't really like the story but that's easily forgiven when the journey itself was such great fun.  

17. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 4 was in my previous list, but having played through them all again, I think the 2nd game holds up the best.  It improves massively on the original, with those great set pieces in particular.

18. Mario Kart 8

Knocking every other MK game further down my ratings, this is an absolute triumph, particularly on the Switch with a room full of friends.  Visually it's incredible, but Nintendo have managed to absolutely nail the drama and excitement of each race.  And I absolutely LOVE the battle modes.  Glorious, glorious chaos.

19. God of War (2018 video game)

I really liked the original GoW games and wasn't sure if I'd like the new, Nordic setting for the PS4 version but wow - I couldn't have been more wrong.  The superb performances from both Kratos and Atreus, the brilliant combat, the gorgeous environments, the scale of the platforming sections all merge to make an experience that just feels absolutely bang on the money, wiping the floor with all the previous instalments in the series.

20. Doom Eternal

Originally, the 2016 Doom reboot was sitting in 20th place, but good old Game Pass treated me to Doom Eternal which I found to be the next step up from the crazy carnage of it's predecessor.  The lore, the bombast, the cool platforming sections and the huge amount of collectables mean it's a lot deeper than the insane bloodbath it might appear to be.  I was also constantly amazed how on earth the Series X never suffered with drops in framerate or slowdown even during the most chaotic of moments.  It's technically stunning!

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I have the physical copy of C2C I bought for PC. and even that was a struggle to get running on Win10. I ended up making sure it installed and ran correctly on an older machine, and then copied the entire directory to my Win10 PC. :blush: 

It's probably less faff to get hold of the PSP version and an emulator ("PPSSPP" should be fine), and then try whatever mods and fixes you like from there.

1. Yakuza 0

2. F-Zero X

3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

4. Valkyria Chronicles (video game)

5. Judgment (video game)

6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

7. Horizon Zero Dawn

8. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

9. Devil's Crush

10. Persona 4

11. Mass Effect 2

12. Pokémon Red and Blue

13. WWF No Mercy (video game)

14. Outrun 2

15. Assassin's Creed Origins

16. Watch Dogs (video game)

17. Everybody's Golf 5

18. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010 video game)

19. Dragon Age: Inquisition

20. Drill Dozer

---

In WSC 'Season in Brief' style:

Went On To Greater Things

Devil's Crush up 9 places. Still hideously addictive and I love the ghoulish visuals and music. It's pretty much the first game I load up when I get a new emulation device.

F-Zero X is up 1 to 2nd. As I said last time; 'It still plays incredibly, super smooth and makes GX and Wipeout look clunky as fuck. The visuals are arguably more appealing now than they were 20 years ago.' It's even enjoyable on the tiny, underpowered RG351P.

Everybody's Golf 5 (aka Everybody's Golf World Tour; the PS3 one) up 2 places. The Vita version was nice but a little to fiddly for me, and I really didn't get on with the PS4 title from day one. World Tour is the definitive EG in my eyes, although I am looking forward to an extended release of Clap Hanz Golf.

Disappearing From View

Yakuza 4, previous #1 has been replaced by Yakuza 0. The latter is the most 'fun' in the series and fully deserves it. I've actually totally removed the former in favour of Judgement which offers a neat new spin on an old formula.

Mario Kart 64. I'm now fully devolved from pretty much the entire Nintendo universe (budget constraints) and I only really play single player games now. Good memories but nothing more. 

GTA San Andreas was previously clinging on at #20. I tried the re-release a couple of years back (not the recent 'remaster') and I didn't enjoy it at all, it was borderline unplayable.

New entries: Judgment, HZD, AC Origins, NFS Hot Pursuit, Watch Dogs, DA: Inquisition

1. Slay The Spire

2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

3. Elite Dangerous

4. Wipeout 2097

5. Satisfactory

6. Hitman 3

7. Tetris

8. Super Mario 64

9. FTL: Faster Than Light

10. Red Dead Redemption 2

11. Minecraft

12. Elden Ring

13. Grand Theft Auto V

14. Driveclub

15. Surviving Mars

16. Doom (1993 video game)

17. Into the Breach

18. Mario Kart 8

19. Super Mario World

20. F-Zero

Commentary:

Spoiler

Slay the Spire has knocked BOTW off the top spot for me, because it is so tight, focused, hard, rewarding, time consuming and is just a great videogame. Masses of tactics to deploy, systems to exploit and a difficulty level that means beginners can have fun and even the best players cannot win every time. Thousands of hours across various systems and my only Steam Platinum achievement game. I love it.

BOTW still remains my favourite open world game of all time. 

Elite Dangerous is my ideal idea of the best videogame and only misses out on the top spot due to the niggling feeling that it's not quite as complete as I would like it to be (if we could get an Elite/NMS crossover that could well be the best game ever for me). Still a wonderful experience and the only game where you can get in a craft and travel to anywhere in our actual galaxy! Plus online and Rll Mukhang ;) I have seen things you people would never believe...

Wipeout as a series has been with us for 25 odd years and I've always played them; on any system I've owned that could play it. Wipeout 2097 was the best of the early games, so that is what is on my list, but I'd ideally say Wipeout the series. Still not beaten in the futuristic, hovering, weapon-firing genre.

Satisfactory is one that many may not even be aware of. It's a PC game, still in early access, but it couples the things I love to do with my time and games. There is the systematic building of factories, exploration of an alien world, online coop with multiple friends and crafting structures that rival Minecraft's. You go from turning iron ore to iron ingots on a craftbench, to building massive factories pumping out tonnes of specialist material to build railways, drones, more factories, even nuclear power stations... and conveyor belts, masses and masses of conveyor belts :)

Hitman 3 is the culmination of IOI's latest series of games. If I'm completely honest it's Hitman 2 that really reeled me in and kept me playing for hour after hour. Hitman 3 simply wraps up all the levels in the series into one single massive brilliant game. I basically see this as an essential game for everyone: it's got a solid plot, amazing level design, fabulous set pieces, multiple skill levels, brilliant weapons and is not afraid to be silly as well. A fabulous achievement and well done to IOI. Here's hoping their Bond game makes my next list.

Tetris is Tetris in all its guises, potentially the game series I have put the most hours into across my 40 odd years of playing.

Super Mario 64 is still the pinnacle of 3D Marios imo. Odyssey gave it a good run for its money though, as did Galaxy and Galaxy 2 before it (the less said about Sunshine the better :P)

FTL is another surprise entry for me (see StS above and ITB below) as it is on the surface a slight videogame. But the replayability is what makes it so good. That little bit of RNG can make such a difference to the type of run you do. Plus it is HARD to complete, but still fun when you lose. A silly little back story but oodles of depth, I am effectively buying a steam deck to play this game on the sofa, have considered buying an iPad just for this!

RDR2. I know some people just don't like this game for a gamut of reasons, but there is nothing, no where that has crafted such an exceptional, living breathing world. The beauty astonished me on PS4, how on earth Rockstarr managed to get that much detail out of that machine is nothing short of witchcraft. And the dialogue - you are hard pressed to find anybody repeating anything anyone else has said. The beautiful city, the backwater towns, the creeping industrialisation, the wilds in the west, the mountains and snow and wow, I am still amazed thinking about. Plus get a group of friends together and the online is actually immensely good fun. Not too much grind, some ace missions and sporadic PvP battles that often end in smiles and laughs! Now that is quite some achievement.

Minecraft still lives in the middle of my list. Such a simple game, but with so much to give. A sprawling, generated world of fun and building.

Elden Ring is a very, very good game. I've not finished it yet and it remains to be seen if I will return to it after the hiatus I've had. But there is so much character to the world, such a vision and artistry. It's like a mashup between The Last Guardian, Shadow of the Colossus and Skyrim. Wonderful vistas, amazing locales and creature design that boggles the mind. There's still a niggle of doubt that it is the best thing ever though, while the lack of handholding is welcome, its chaotic structure means I feel somewhat distanced from the world; I care so little for any of the inhabitants, I simply slaughter them all. Not that it matters, just being in the world is an experience quite unlike any other.

GTAV - fun, silly, guns and freedom to just drive and get into trouble.

Driveclub - Now my favourite ever racer, Burnout Paradise dropping from my all time top 20 list for the first time, but DriveClub remaining. Why? It's a hard question to answer, but perhaps it's the more focussed nature of DC that just means it pushes BP out. Maybe it's the real cars, the VR (which was the most astonishing thing when I first got my PSVR) or the fun we had on here doing time trials. I don't know, but I'm still waiting for a real world racer to come along and push it out of my top 20. 

Surviving Mars or Cities Skylines...? Surviving Mars or Cities Skylines...? The decision was really hard to make. I love Cities Skylines (still watch Biffa plays Videogames playing it weekly) and even went as far as to download a UK West Country map and create Bristol and surrounding areas... But Surviving Mars just beats it (and Crusader Kings :o ) to the post as my favourite world building strategy game. I think it is the optimism and the eventual beating of the environment to become a future world for humans that really grabbed me. Plus the polished, and endlessly supported, nature of these Paradox games that keeps it high as a favourite.

Doom, this represents Doom the series. But mostly Doom 1 & 2 with two TVs and two PS1s, endless fun on many a long weekender between my mates and my brothers. Fantastic times with a cracking game whose longevity speaks volumes. 

Into The Breach, another indie game and another one from the small studio that brought us FTL! Wow! I love this little game, it's simple turn limited approach hides a multitude of complexity. Spending actual minutes making sure your move is correct, executing it and seeing it payoff is very satisfying. It makes me feel like I'm playing chess, except with big monster aliens and time travelling mecha! :D Wonderful game.

Mario Kart 8 (and deluxe) is the best of the series IMO. Some people get all dewy eyed about SMK, as if it has never been beaten. But there's isn't a single thing I'd want back from SMK that isn't already in MK8. Plus you get ALL the extras - online that just works, massive selection of characters, karts, bikes. More tracks than you can shake a stick at, beautifully smooth graphics and varied controlling vehicles. And now DLC for even more fun! What a great game.

Super Mario World is still the best 2D scrolling Mario game ever made. 

F-Zero just pips it into my top 20 because it will always be held dear to my heart. Such a ground-breaking title when it first appeared on the SNES. My endless laps of Mute City and Big Blue cementing them in my brain forever. Completing the game on Master several times over the decades. Just wonderful. And that music! :)

Special Mentions to:

Spoiler

Advance Wars 1/2
Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Burnout Paradise
Cities Skylines
Civilization 6
Control
Crusader Kings 2/3
Cyberpunk 2077
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Division 2
Fallout 3
Final Fantasy 7
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Goldeneye 007
Gran Turismo
Hades
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizon Zero Dawn
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Legend of Zelda: Windwaker
Mario Party
Mass Effect
No Man's Sky
Pokemon Ruby
Resident Evil 4
SFIV Ultra
Skyrim
Spiderman
Stardew Valley
Stellaris
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Odyssey
The Last Guardian
The Walking Dead
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Uncharted 2
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Valheim
Wii Sports Resort

I'm very much appreciating the amount of N64 games appearing here, especially N64 racing games!

My personal list is very much influenced by multiplayer / party games with friends!

1. Demon's Souls

2. Hunt: Showdown

3. Spelunky

4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

5. Minecraft

6. Shadow of the Colossus

7. Apex Legends

8. GoldenEye 007 (1997 video game)

9. Metroid Prime

10. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

11. Pro Evolution Soccer 5

12. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2

13. Wave Race 64

14. F-Zero X

15. Super Mario World

16.The Last of Us Part II

17. Mashed

18. Super Mario Kart

19. Road Rash (1991 video game)

20. Mass Effect 2

EDIT: Three new entries, Geo Wars, Spelunky and Shadow of the Colossus. 

1. Halo: Combat Evolved

2. Resident Evil 4

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

4. Elden Ring

5. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

6. Bloodborne

7. Metal Gear Solid (1998 video game)

8. Half-Life 2

9. Super Mario World

10. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening

11. Metroid Prime

12. The Last of Us Part II

13. Shadow of the Colossus

14. Mass Effect 2

15. Super Mario Odyssey

16. Shenmue (video game)

17. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

18. Ōkami

19. Ridge Racer 6

20. Viewtiful Joe

On a desktop so hopefully don't balls this up, have copied+pasted from OP and directly from Wikipedia. If I've fucked up please let me know @Benny, regarding the formatting, not the contents, before some smart arse has a go at my list. 

2. Super Mario Odyssey

3. Pokémon Go

4. Halo: Combat Evolved 

5. Mario Kart 64

6. Resident Evil 4

7. The Last of Us

8. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

9. Super Mario World

10. Grand Theft Auto V

11. Portal 2

12. Super Meat Boy

13. Celeste (video game)

14. Mirror's Edge

15. Marble Blast Ultra

16. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

17. Tetris

18. Pokémon Red and Blue

19. Streets of Rage 4

20. Halo 3

Some thoughts:

Spoiler

1. Breath of the Wild - More like BREATH OF FRESH AIR AMIRITE? Took the (too) often used open world formula and revolutionised it. Didn't bombard you with hundreds of overwhelming icons on the map and just let you explore this amazingly crafted game world. I've still not even faced off against Ganon yet because every time I play I just find myself wandering around, trying out new things with the game mechanics and just being distracted by everything else. 

2.Mario Odyssey - For me this was the Mario game that finally took the crown from Super Mario 64. It's so inventive, beautiful and just brilliantly fun. 

3. Pokemon Go - This is more than just a game, in some ways I think this saved my life. Before it was released I was in a horribly depressive cycle, I was either working (in a job I hated) or just at home watching shit TV or online. I didn't really do anything. But this changed things, I started going out, meeting and talking to people, I made friends, lost weight and really a lot of what has happened to me in the last 6 years can probably be traced back to this game. And as a game it continues to keep me glued to it. From the steady release of new Pokemon to collect, to events to take part it. It appeals to my nature of wanting to collect, and also to explore. I've probably tripled the number of Pokestops in and around the town I live in because of my new obsession of nominating local points of interest. 

4. Halo:CE - Could have been this, 3, ODST or Reach. It's a series that means a lot to me but the original is probably still the best. 

5. Mario Kart 64 - Yes Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is likely the better game overall but for me MK64 is a masterpiece. Was a multiplayer staple with my brothers and cousins growing up, then again with friends during a very unproductive 6th year in school and still gets booted up on the rare game nights. I love this game for many reasons, it has some of the best courses, the implementation of the blue shell is probably at its best here, the shortcuts - legit and glitchy ones - make for some very fun and frantic races and OG Block Fort Battle is still the king. It's also fascinating from a speedrunners view, even now - 26 years after release, the community are still finding new exploits and glitches to shave time off world records. 

6. Resi 4 - Just a solid, tense and finely tuned experience. 

7. Last of Us - Bought a PS3 just so I could play this and it's probably the most I've been invested in a games narrative and story. Was completely immersed in the game and one of only a few games that when I did finish it I started it right away again. Haven't played the sequel mind. 

8. Majora's Mask - Such a departure from what came before and all the better for it. Love the dark and unnerving atmosphere from it all. 

9. SMW - Still the pinnacle of 2D platforming. 

10. GTAV - Storywise it's not great but from a technical view it is. Love the setting and just cruising around. The online is a lot of fun too. 

11. Portal 2 - This is 2 great games in one; the single player and then the Co-Op Campaign. Clever, funny, frustrating in mostly equal measures. 

12. Super Meat Boy - Fuck this little bastard. But the joy you get when finally beating a level that was causing so much grief. Love it. 

13. Celeste - A bit like the above but prettier and with the feels. 

14. Mirror's Edge - This was a refreshing take on the FPS genre, in fact is it even an FPS? I know I never did any shooting during my runs. Either way it was a joy to play because of the movement through levels, mastering the controls, great music and distinct look. A bit short though. 

15. Marble Blast Ultra - This shit was addictive, and when mastered it was amazing to ping the ball around the levels at super speeds. 

16. THPS2 - The timing of this release was perfect for me. Was getting into that whole skater-punk scene so this was right up my street. Still one of the best gaming soundtracks. Such a fun game, great levels to explore and so rewarding too with the unlockable characters/boards/videos etc. It was made to be played to completion with each character and it never felt like a slog to do so. 

17. Tetris - It's Tetris. One of the earliest games I remember playing and one the whole family would partake in. Even my mum would hog the Gameboy for this, and she never played videogames. 

18. Pokemon - Turnbased combat, levelling up, random battles, these are staples of RPGs that make me not like or want to play RPGs. Unless it's Pokemon. 

19. SoR4 - The most recent game to make my top 20. I've only played through it 2 or 3 times so far and can easily see this climbing my top 20 after playing it some more. Improves on the originals with the combat and combos. Love the new art style and pleased they didn't go the pixel art way that so many modern games do. Plus the soundtrack is banging. 

20. Halo 3 - had to sneak this on. Dunno how many hundreds of hours I spent playing this online back in the day. No game has really ever replicated that experience for me since. 

Those that were considered but didn't make the cut:

Spoiler

Ocarina of Time - Tough but BoTW is the best and Majora's Mask just edged this for the 2nd Zelda spot. Didn't want to give up 3 places to Zelda.

Wind Waker - Likewise. If the game was properly finished - and the Tri-Force Hunt replaced - then this would rank higher. 

Mario Kart 8

Super Mario 64

Super Mario Sunshine

San Andreas

Halo ODST 

Halo Reach

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow

Timesplitters 2

XIII

Goldeneye 007

Perfect Dark

Half Life 2

Left 4 Dead / Left 4 Dead 2

Sonic 2

Sonic Mania

Rocket League

Fable

Burnout 3

Burnout Paradise

Wario Ware

Yoshi's Island

Super Mario Bros 3

Plok

Donkey Kong Country

Hidden In Plain Sight

Snowboard Kids

F-Zero

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

Assassins Creed Black Flag

Dead Island

Sleeping Dogs

Doom 

Mystical Ninja

Super Bomberman

Worms Armageddon 

Tekken 3

Street Fighter 2 

Max Payne

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)
  • BadgerFarmer pinned this topic
  • BadgerFarmer unpinned this topic