IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just checking through the thread for games I'd missed the official names of, in case anyone else had made the same error as me. So, a heads up:

3 hours ago, Valver said:

18. Portal

On 06/05/2022 at 13:52, Mr Do 71 said:

14. Portal

These need to be entered as "Portal (video game)".

I've also discovered that nobody else has voted for Deus Ex (video game) or Valkyria Chronicles (video game), which is clearly an error on many people's parts!

1. Super Mario World

2. Doom (1993 video game)

3. Prey (2017 video game)

4. Super Mario Galaxy

5. Spelunky

6. Resident Evil 4

7. Super Mario Bros. 3

8. Rocket League

9. Into the Breach

10. Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

11. Metroid: Zero Mission

12. Old World (video game)

13. Fallout (video game)

14. Deus Ex (video game)

15. OutRun 2

16. Nex Machina

17. Dusk (video game)

18. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

19. Total War: Warhammer II

20. Mario Kart 8

@Benny I've added some (spoiler-wrapped) commentary below my list of 20 - hopefully this is fine as you're just copying the list, but let me know if it's an issue.

27 minutes ago, drkbfhmmr said:

10. Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares

Ah, what a good shout, that's an absolute classic. I keep meaning to revisit it, but never have; perhaps now that I'm running on a somewhat hobbled PC (my 2080 Ti died a few weeks ago, so I'm currently using an HD 5770 from 2009, kindly loaned by a friend) I'll actually take the opportunity!

33 minutes ago, Azrael said:

I'm too scared to submit a list until I get on a PC, using a mobile is a sure fire way of breaking the rules i feel. 

Just copy paste. You can always edit later before the deadline.

Fair enough, I've edited mine to clarify that I am indeed voting for Returnal the video game, as opposed to Returnal the fourth studio album by American electronic musician Daniel Lopatin under the alias Oneohtrix Point Never.

😉

People can be sarky about it all they want - the rules are literally just there to make sure every game name is consistent in the way people add them so that all the votes get counted when I copy them.

And people are quite welcome to throw their votes away, I'm not fussed, just don't complain when your favourite game is shafted :P

I hope you all realise the only reason I've created this hostile environment is to get so few valid votes that my entries are definitely getting in.

You'll regret it when the top 10 is made up solely of differently spelled variants of Elden Ring.

On 06/05/2022 at 15:59, MW_Jimmy said:

Quite a few changes from last time (I think!) - created a top 30 so might be a couple of changes later:

1. Nights into Dreams

2. Rez (video game)

3. Shenmue (video game)

4. Phantasy Star Online

5. Sayonara Wild Hearts

6. Halo: Combat Evolved

7. Streets of Rage 4

8. Spelunky

9. Bloodborne

10. Ring Fit Adventure

11. Sonic Mania

12. Persona 4

13. Elden Ring

14. Tetris

15. Dragon Quest XI

16. Bayonetta 2

17. No More Heroes (video game)

18. Policenauts

19. Wii Sports Resort

20. Ico

Write-Ups Below:

1. Nights into Dreams (No change)

2. Rez (video game) (Up 1)

3. Shenmue (video game) (Up 3)

After playing Shenmue III and many Yakuza titles, the elements that make the first Shenmue become ever more precious. A good example is the level of detail in things - you can go to the convenience store and buy various items (batteries, food) but I always enjoy buying the cassette tapes. They have a bunch of made up artists and cassette artwork. I play them and enjoy having these items to purchase. They don't give any intrinsic game value or a 1/20 to a game achievement. I can give some of the food to the orphan cat later. Ine-san is going to be upset I have come back after its got dark again.

4. Phantasy Star Online (Up 22)

Having regular access to this again has definitely influenced this years placement. The only online RPG that doesn't demand you devote all your time to it. The gameplay loop has aged incredibly well, and now has a feeling of early-internet days when I play online where everything felt so much friendlier and unfamiliar.

5. Sayonara Wild Hearts (NEW)

Pure distilled videogame enjoyment - it is such a perfect mix of lots of things I really like - pristinely produced pop-music, Minter-esq tunnel shooters, arcade sensibilities, and a non-verbal storyline which ties everything together, beautifully. It doesn't waste your time, it feeels magical and leaves me fulfilled and happy to be alive.

6. Halo: Combat Evolved (Up 2)

7. Streets of Rage 4 (NEW)

The best Sega revival ever - adding synchronicity and combo's to the best game to punch folk to. Nevermind that the soundtrack is absolutely pitched perfectly between modern electro and classic house without falling into generic EDM. Rising up!

8. Spelunky (Down 6)

9. Bloodborne (Down 4)

10. Ring Fit Adventure (NEW)

"Would you like to change the difficulty?" No - this is fine. Yes, Tipp happy for you to keep asking. "Keep your posture straight! Three, Two, One, Go!" - Oh, this is familiar - I'm rocking back on my heels in time before we start - and I am pumped up! To exercise. And level-up! No to planking. Yes to squats! 

11. Sonic Mania (Down 7)

12. Persona 4 (Down 5)

13. Elden Ring (NEW)

A impossible task to place on the list. All I can say is that I have played for over 100 hours and it is very clearly a masterpiece of world building and game design. Utilising open world setting without losing the intricate pacing and location design - it is incredibly impressive.

14. Tetris (NEW) (Note placement based on Tetris 99)

There has been a lot of really great takes on Tetris in recent years (Puyo Puyo Tetris, Tetris Effect) but Tetris 99 does something unthinkable, taking a very modern online game-type and makes it its own. Now Vs Tetris isn't something particularly new, but it has been something I have never really been interested in. By bringing Tetris online the modern ruleset finally makes sense with its rewards for t-spins essential for competitive play. It also helps that Tetris 99 is developed by Arika, who really understand how to make fast tetris gameplay feel amazing.

15. Dragon Quest XI (NEW)

Finally, a modern JRPG that feels like the very best of the SNES heyday. It was inevitable too - Yuji Horii has been making this game for longer than anyone else in the industry, Toriyama's timeless design, someone on the soundtrack. It had been far too long since DQVIII - a title that brought the art alive, an incredible English dub - but was hampered by the PS2 hardware. DQXI is really great at bringing the small stories alive - visit the town, get to know the folk, help them out. The big picture stuff can wait. Epic.

16. Bayonetta 2 (NEW)

So a completely unconstrained Bayonetta, ends up feeling very much like a Treasure game. Style and scale off the charts.

17. No More Heroes (video game) (Up 17)

18. Policenauts (Down 6)

19. Wii Sports Resort (Up 65!)

This vastly increased placement deserves an explanation. I think the further we move away from the Wii era, the more I miss it. I've always valued invention over perfection and the Wii era is really messy throw-things-at-the-wall era. Wii Sports Resort is the pinnacle of motion gaming and one of only a handful of games that utilise the Motion Plus (do not get me confused I think Wii Sports is 'not good'). The 'Sport' part isn't the draw (this is not Ring Fit Adventure) but the simple blend of pick-up arcade challenge mixed with very well executed control playstyles which draw you in. All tied together into the Wuhu Island experience.

20. Ico (Down 9)

21-100 (New since 2017 in Bold)

Hide contents

21 Gitaroo Man

22 Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan

23 Splatoon 2

24 Gravity Rush

25 Nier

26 The Last Guardian

27 Resogun

28 Sega Rally (Arcade)

29 Undertale

30 Rhythm Paradise Megamix

31 The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

32 Soul Calibur

33 Samba De Amigo

34 Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast

35 Yakuza 0

36 Rocket Knight Adventures

37 Ridge Racer Type 4

38 Rock Band 3

39 Zelda Link to the Past

40 Sin and Punishment : Successor of the Skies

41 Daytona USA

42 Phantasy Star

43 Sky Odyssey

44 SNK Vs Capcom: Card Fighters Clash

45 Snowrunner

46 Sonic (Master System)

47 Katamari Damacy

48 Super Mario Galaxy

49 Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts

50 Zelda Wind Waker

51 Mario Kart 8

52 Chibi Robo

53 Crazy Taxi

54 Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

55 Panzer Dragoon Zwei

56 Jet Set Radio Future

57 Metal Gear Solid

58 Metroid Prime

59 Burning Rangers

60 Resident Evil (Remake)

61 Nex Machina

62 Mario Kart Tour

63 Picross 3D Round 2

64 Pilotwings Resort

65 Kero Blaster

66 Deadly Premonition

67 Resident Evil 4

68 Fortune Street

69 Furi

70 Revenge of Shinobi

71 Super Metroid

72 Castlevania: Rondo of Blood

73 Super Monkey Ball

74 Super Mario 64

75 Super Mario Kart

76 Ghost Squad

77 Tempest 4000

78 Gunstar Heroes

79 Ninja Gaiden

80 Legend of Mystical Ninja

81 Wipeout 2097

82 Viewtiful Joe

83 Phoenix Wright

84 Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

85 Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

86 Doom (2016)

87 Downfall

88 Hotline Miami

89 Megaman 9

90 Quake 3 Arena

91 Digidrive

92 Project Gotham Racing 4

93 N++

94 Space Channel 5 Part 2

95 VA11-Hall-A

96 Binary Domain

97 Dynamite Headdy

98 Curses N Chaos

99 Earth Defense Force 5

100 DJ Hero

All that time we spent playing Halo 3 online and it didn’t even make it into your top 100!

I actually just played through Streets of Rage 1, 2, 3 and 4, just to check I still feel right about putting 4 on my list instead of 2. And I absolutely do. The master of scrolling beat-em-ups is dethroned.

Now now, let's not get ahead of ourselves here: nobody's made a superior sequel to Guardian Heroes (64th greatest game of all time) yet, more's the pity. Streets of Rage 4 has to live with merely being the second greatest scrolling beat-em-up (and 80th greatest game) of all time.

Definitely in the running for best brawler soundtrack, mind, and that's against stern competition!

I haven't actually played Guardian Heroes but given its a Treasure game I probably should one day.

Only I don't have a Saturn.

18 minutes ago, Benny said:

Backwards compatible with Xbox 1 X?

1 minute ago, spatular said:

^ good question, i think it's on the bc list but i haven't tried it, can give it a try tomorrow see how it goes. 

20220508_032634_copy_1500x2000.thumb.jpg.2f23a2ffa4dad330655c56a3d1afb41e.jpg

1. Red Dead Redemption 2

2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

3. Unreal Tournament

4. Testdrive Unlimited 2

5. Fight Night Round 3

6. Resident Evil 4

7. Mass Effect 2

8. Wipeout 2097

9. The Last of Us

10. Grand Theft Auto III

11. Skate 2

12. Halo: Combat Evolved

13. Forza Motorsport 4

14. Batman: Arkham Asylum

15. Dead Space

16. Guitar Hero II

17. Gears of War

18. Fallout 3

19. MotoGP: Ultimate Racing Technology

20. Project Gotham Racing 4

A list my brain made up on a Sunday morning. More nostalgic than critical, based entirely on what I remember having the most satisfaction playing with friends and over time. Over the remaining time available I would probably change this list entirely but I'm just gonna leave this as is. 

Just a quick note - if any of you modify your list later, can you please put a quick note at the end like:

EDIT: have updated my list and done X change

This will help later

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)
  • BadgerFarmer pinned this topic
  • BadgerFarmer unpinned this topic