IGNORED

Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)

Benny

How should games be scored?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@Graham S @spatular @ChewMagma

I’m going to say this because it looks like Benny doesn’t want to, but it seems like you’ve copied the Wikipedia search results rather than the game title itself? (quite a few of your entries have ‘2016 videogame’ in there)

Don’t pay any attention to me, apparently I skimmed over the rules without seeing the relevant bits.

Also I updated my list on the first page with the last four games. And swapped some positions. I am still debating whether NMS deserves to be there given I don’t even know it anymore.

6 hours ago, Darwock said:

I’m going to say this because it looks like Benny doesn’t want to, but it seems like you’ve copied the Wikipedia search results rather than the game title itself? (quite a few of your entries have ‘2016 videogame’ in there)

Also I updated my list on the first page with the last four games. And swapped some positions. I am still debating whether NMS deserves to be there given I don’t even know it anymore.

You mean "Fez (video game)" ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fez_(video_game) ??

I'm so confused.

7 hours ago, spatular said:

will it matter if there's a few of these in there instead of spaces?:

&nbsp

Those are just HTML spaces so nothing wrong with those. As long as it's filled in from the OP template it's fine.

As for Persona: same applies, if you all use different versions it will split the vote. Follow the guidelines and put the original game name and it'll be fine. I've seen people have put Golden. They should probably change that.

7 hours ago, Darwock said:

I don't want to because the Wikipedia titles are correct and what it should be, as I explained in the rules. It keeps them differentiated from games that are remakes with the same names. Read the rules!

Those bits are basically all in there because people are following the OP rules as instructed:

Please Google them and use the Wikipedia entry title for the individual game. This will be used to determine ambiguity. For example:

Doom (2016 video game) - is the Wikipedia entry for the newer Doom game, so use this

Doom (1993 video game) - is the entry for the original doom, so use this, despite how weird it looks on the entry

Doom II - is the sequel entry on Wikipedia even though it also has a subtitle, so use this

If no individual Wikipedia entry exists (and only then), use the closest full game title there is from looking it up.

13 minutes ago, Benny said:

As for Persona: same applies, if you all use different versions it will split the vote. Follow the guidelines and put the original game name and it'll be fine. I've seen people have put Golden. They should probably change that.

Oops, I was following the example of earlier votes. Heads-up for @Wiper @Gambit @MW_Jimmy.

Golden does have a ton of content that distinguishes itself in my mind, but the core of the game is the same so it’s all good. :) 

Persona 4 Dancing All Night is obviously a different game entirely. But if people list Persona 4 Golden it's another "version" of the original game, so the same rules for versions apply, as written in... The rules.

:quote:

Finally this emoji can be used in its proper context!

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Is my list ok now, @Benny?

On my phone but formatting looks fine to me. If it's copied from op then the entries were filled in from that it'll be fine.

I should also stress I'm only enforcing these rules strictly so that people's votes count. They might wonder where their votes went otherwise. Or why Full Throttle is the best game of all time.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I thought the video game bit was just for stuff like Doom, when there are different versions with the same name? I didn't include it for The Witness, for example.

Do it for every game, as per the rules. See above.

Looking at everyone else's lists it's pretty clear to see that building a top 20 isn't exactly easy work.

I had a top 100 before, but to be truthful, anything beyond the 20 mark tends to blend together in terms of greatness.

I mean you could all decide amongst yourselves to leave the (video game) bit off of games where we're all obviously talking about the video game and not a small red hat. It's the ones with a year that are important as they affect ambiguity. The important thing is that all your entries have consistent and matching names for every game vote, so by making sure they are all copied from the Wikipedia titles is one way to ensure this.

4 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Looking at everyone else's lists it's pretty clear to see that building a top 20 isn't exactly easy work.

I had a top 100 before, but to be truthful, anything beyond the 20 mark tends to blend together in terms of greatness.

That's why I'm doing position one as worth twice position twenty this time, as I think often you'd get games on the end of loads of lists which ended up not actually making it into the results. So now all those obscure weird anime weeb shooters really do have a chance of getting in. The horror.

I've not noticed much commentary on picks by the way. Everyone loves commentary. You can include that but it must be on its own, just not in the template. For example copy it and put the commentary in a quoted version underneath.

I may use the comments later.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2. Super Mario World

3. Halo: Combat Evolved

4. Resident Evil 4

5. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

6. Mario Kart 8

7. Returnal (video game)

8. Super Mario Galaxy

9. Bioshock

10. Hades (video game)

11. X-COM: UFO Defense

12. Half-Life 2

13. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

14. The Last of Us

15. Elden Ring

16. Metroid Prime

17. Red Dead Redemption

18. Wave Race 64

19. Crackdown (video game)

20. Minecraft

Not a lot to say about my list, except my favourite game of each of the last three years breaking in. Oh and my irrational irritation at having to call the original UFO: Enemy Unknown by its US name thanks to the (perfectly sensible) Wikipedia rule.

Maybe we do a commentary thread and just have this one as scores? 

Anyway, still compiling my list but it's absolutely warming my heart to see a fair few high scores for Beatles: Rock Band. I think alongside Get Back it's about as brilliant a celebration of The Beatles   I've ever experienced. It's also a truly, truly perfect video game and the clear high point of the late 00's plastic tat genre. In fact I'm hovering over an Xbox 360 on eBay to play it again...

Man, the Rez vote seems to be split between 'Rez' and 'Rez (video game)'. The latter is correct as per Wikipedia but there's more of us on the former 😬 

1. Forza Motorsport 4

2. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec

3. Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe

4. Forza Horizon 2

5. Stardew Valley

6. X-Com: UFO Defense

7. Injustice 2

8. Forza Horizon 3

9. Gran Turismo 2

10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2 

11. Streets of Rage 4

12. Mortal Kombat 11

13. Sniper Elite 4

14. Minecraft Dungeons

15. Street Fighter II: Champion Edition

16. Panzer General

17. Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate

18. Fight Night Round 4

19. Burnout 3: Takedown

20. Forza Horizon 4

My,there's a lot of driving games in there. I might need to reorder it at some point

There may be an issue with X-Com, since someone upthread listed it by its European name - UFO: Enemy Unknown.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

I mean you could all decide amongst yourselves to leave the (video game) bit off of games where we're all obviously talking about the video game

Can we just put that in the rules then?

It's a list about videogames and I don't think there is any confusion of what folks are voting for with Rez and Rez (video game) when it's obvious that they are the same thing in a list about videogames.

(Whereas, Rez and Rez Infinite there is a difference)

9 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

10. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 + 2

I asked earlier in the thread whether compilations can be nominated, with that as one of the examples - it won't be counted, unfortunately. (Same goes for The Orange Box, Halo MCC, etc.)

(Please vote for THPS2 alone; that's what I'm going to do!)

53 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Man, the Rez vote seems to be split between 'Rez' and 'Rez (video game)'. The latter is correct as per Wikipedia but there's more of us on the former 😬 

Well, you've all got until the deadline to reach consensus :lol:

I've updated my list to change 'Inside' to 'Inside (video game) and 'The Witness' to 'The Witness (2016 video game)', as that's what they come up as on Wiki.

I'll add some comments to my original post at some point.

33 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

There may be an issue with X-Com, since someone upthread listed it by its European name - UFO: Enemy Unknown.

All of these issues are, magically, resolved if people follow the rules and use the Wikipedia page names. That's why I made them. The rules that is.

The Rules.

• Benny changed the title to Rllmuk Top 100 Games 2022 - Voting thread - (read the rules) - Voting closed (read the rules anyway)
  • BadgerFarmer unpinned this topic