IGNORED

The Virtual Boy Appreciation Thread!

I've recently bought a Virtual Boy with a handful of games and I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I wasn't really expecting to find any positives but I've actually had a lot of fun with it, especially with Wario Land, really annoying this hasn't been ported elsewhere.

There are definitely cons, it should have been a headset rather than having a stand and I don't think I need to go into the Red/black only graphics. I've had a lack of headaches so far but i guess that will differ per person.

They're not particularly easy to come by these days but has anybody ever owned one? What did you think of it? Can anybody remember it when it was first released? Would love to hear some stories!

I owned one about 12 years ago now, boxed USA version with a few games, I think I may have bought it from this forum actually.

I always used it with an AC adaptor to save on batteries, Wario land held my interest for a few hours, had a tennis game and a robot boxing game too but they were played for a few minutes in comparison.

It was a talking piece when I had guests for a few months and would let people have a go but ultimately it ended up collecting dust on a high shelf so I sold it on after a year or so.

I found the stand had a crack in the plastic middle piece where you separate the legs which made it a bit unstable, something to watch out for.

I've got one, had it about 10 years now, so nowhere near from new. It's a cool little curio, it was even interesting enough to get my (very much non-gamer) dad to stick his face in it and play Mario tennis for a couple of minutes. I find it's a little too delicate to just leave out, so have to put it away after each use and as such it doesn't come out often. Maybe when I get the games room done I'll give it a permanent spot, but probably not 😅

I have one that my wife (at the time girlfriend) bought for my xmas one year.  It was brand new, but new old stock as it were rather than at the time.  This was probably... somewhere between 2005 and 2008 at a guess.  It's still properly mint and lives in it's box, not actually had it out in a lot of years now, but it has that sentimental value.

I have Warioland, Tennis, Teleroboxer, Nesters Funky Bowling, Red Alarm, V-Tetris, and perhaps a couple of others, all of which I'd say are not bad games, but I suffered from motion sickness after about 10-15 minutes play, so never made much progress in them.

I briefly started collecting, so have daft things like 3 copies of Tennis (US, JAP, US promo copy), and a boxed official US power supply or something, but it was always more of a Nintendo curio rather than a gaming device.

If I was ever to revisit, I'd likely do it via emulation on the Oculus Quest or something I think, though I don't know how well that actually works either.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

If I was ever to revisit, I'd likely do it via emulation on the Oculus Quest or something I think, though I don't know how well that actually works either.

Its pretty good, much better than the VB itself 🤣

9 hours ago, Gorf said:

I found the stand had a crack in the plastic middle piece where you separate the legs which made it a bit unstable, something to watch out for.

Yeah mine had been broken but that piece was replaced with a 3D printed one. Good as new now!